The books. Had to be the books.

...

That one is sticking out. Push it in?

Click.

A light above the door lit up.

So that's how it works! Find the rest!

Buddy's tail was wagging by the time the door opened. That puzzle was... fun?

Was fun allowed in a place like this?

The next cavern full of hanging cages over a bottomless pit knocked that notion right out of consideration. Buddy dared to throw an empty soup can over the side. He didn't hear it collide with anything, wall, floor, or otherwise.

He resolved to stay away from the edge. Boris heartily agreed.

Not like his opinion affected much.

Looked like the only way across was a hanging trolley platform.

A broken hanging trolley platform.

Well, that's where GENT machines came in handy.

Buddy turned the dial to a desired gear setting, swiped some ink off his arms and head, and let the resulting blob slide into the slot.

Pull the lever, presto, a gear.

He slid the gear into place and reached for the platform.

Hold up. Was he really going to put his faith in this rickety contraption to get him to the other side of this potentially bottomless chasm?

Didn't have much choice, so yes. Yes he was.

Buddy internally growled at Boris for making him hesitate. It didn't keep the wolf from shivering the whole way across.

Both of them were relieved when he reached solid ground again.

Buddy pushed open another metal door, leading to an ominously long hallway. He had half a mind to turn around. But that half was Boris. And he wasn't in control right now.

Besides, the door slammed shut, so not much of a choice there.

The fact that absolutely nothing happened the whole length of that hallway set Buddy on edge even more than if something had jumped him.

Then there were stairs. Lots of them. Buddy started climbing.

'Up, kid! Right up to the damn top!'

Buddy winced at the early memory of his first encounter with Norman. He missed the old projectionist.

That thing in the inky abyss couldn't have been him.

Norman couldn't have been turned so... mindless.

That wasn't him.

...

Was that Boris's fear? Or Buddy's denial?

"I see you there, little wolf. Your angel is always watching."

Buddy really wished she'd stop.

"What is it that keeps you going? The thrill of the hunt? The thirst for your freedom? Or perhaps... you're just a lost dog looking for its master?"

Buddy stopped. Dread sank further into his stomach.

"Better hurry, little wolf, or your little friends will have trouble staying in one piece."

She's scary. Run away. Go back. Can't save-

Stop.

Stop it. Keep going. Get to them.