The Death

On a winter morning, Pratap Mansion looked almost invisible due to dense fog. A ring of long trees surrounding it made it even harder to see from afar. It resembled a haunted place, with despondency in its air. A deafening silence interspersed with howling of dogs rendered it an eerie outlook. Outside the haveli, a bunch of men sat huddled around a body wrapped in a white shroud. A faint sound of wailing women emanated from the inside.

Ranjeet Pratap, one of the mighty landlords in the village, had passed away. His body was out in the open for around a day, against the local tradition. Despite the cold, his close relatives watched over the body through the night. Bundles of incense smouldered - to ward off possible stench - emitting fragrance which mingled with the air.

In a corner, a group of men stood murmuring, their voices becoming shrill periodically. They were furious with the decision to delay the last rites, frightened that the reckless departure from a long-established tradition could bring misfortune to the entire village. But Ranjeet Pratap's son was adamant. He had decided to wait for his son Ronit, who was arriving from Bangalore. He blamed the weather, to pacify the villagers, for delaying his son's flight. But every passing hour the wait turned less bearable; the villagers now seethed with anger.

The previous day , Ronit was still in his bed when his phone rang. He groped for it languorously thinking it was Sanya, his girlfriend, dialling him early.  He received the call, eyes still shut, and heard a familiar male voice instead. He was still drowsy to place it for a second. But, then came the announcement that shook him out of stupor. That was his father, Ranveer Pratap, on the phone.

'Ronit, can you hear me? Hello...'

He continued, 'Dadu has left us. He died at 5.40 am today. Hello... Can you hear me?'

Then, he went silent for a moment, trying to gather himself amid sobbing. His voice trembled with grief, 'Hello, Ronit! You need to rush back.'

Ronit went numb; he was too shocked to react. He shrieked with pain, 'what are you saying, Pappa? How did it happen?'

His eyes welled up with tears, he choked speaking further, 'how can this happen so quickly!'Ranveer Pratap could not respond.

After a small pause, Ronit uttered, 'I was planning to meet him the next Saturday. I had promised Dadu.' He began to cry again, 'I thought he would wait for me, Pappa.'

His father interrupted, trying to reassure him, gasping for air, 'it wasn't in anybody's hands, Ronit. Stay strong. Don't punish yourself. You have to travel.'He waited for his son to respond, then put down the phone saying, 'come fast for the funeral. We will wait. I am heading for the village.'