Chapter 5

There were hundreds of people gathered at the court for their routine. Sooraj and Niyati were discussing the future proceedings with their lawyer. Krish avoided them to stop their unsolicited advice.
Vikram tapped his shoes on the concrete floor, tensed to meet the other family. His suit pricked his skin that summer morning. Sooraj persuaded him to wear the formal dress to look sellable to the bride and also warned him to shut his mouth.
He taunted Vikram even after he agreed to marry for their sake which fumed the younger guy. He was done with the waiting.
"I will have coffee and return," Vikram alerted his dad. Sooraj halted him straight away.
"You should have eaten breakfast at the hotel instead of creating a scene," Niyati advised.
Then they heard shuffling of footsteps towards them and saw a man in formal with a kid beside him. Their lawyer accompanied them.
"She might be the younger sister of your bride," Krish said doubtfully.
Vikram agreed, "That bride would be in her home, protesting this wedding." He would be elated if that bride cancelled the wedding.
Sooraj shook hands with the man who introduced the girl as Madhu, the bride. The lawyers were sure of the proper documentation and took them towards the courtroom.
Vikram and Krish stood like statues, stunned at the information. They scanned Madhu hesitantly.
"Is she even an adult?" Krish whispered to a shocked Vikram. Madhu heard his whisper and interrupted, "I am twenty-one. And you both don't look younger than fifty."
Niyati listened to her words behind the guys, and joined the banter, "I already like you, Madhu!" She introduced herself as the sister of the groom. Madhu shook hands with her and scowled, "Which of these is Vikram?"
"These?" Vikram glared at her choice of words, "We are not objects or animals. Them is the right word for addressing humans."
Madhu yawned fakely, "How much will be your tuition fees?" 
Niyati clapped in glee, "A perfect person to tackle my brother!"
Madhu walked to the courtroom, ignoring the glaring eyes of Vikram and Niyati followed her. Krish acknowledged with a nod, "She ain't good for you!" Vikram couldn't agree less.
"Why are you both waiting there?" Niyati yelled for them. Krish and Vikram sauntered without a reply.
The courtroom was grey-coloured with separate seats for the judge and clients. Madhu and Vikram sat with their parents, facing the judge while their lawyers stood beside the judge.
Praneet pursed the hand of Madhu warmly, "It's just a meeting. Don't be nervous." She smiled at him, "You too."
Vikram wiped the sweat from his forehead unsure of the marriage. He couldn't calm down with her attitude. The judge instructed them on the rules written in the will.
"One who initiates divorce will lose all the inheritance," he warned them. "You have to endure each other. Your grand mom can cancel this wedding anytime."
"Damn it," Vikram cursed under his breath.
The judge agreed, "It's absurd and trivial to me. I can understand your predicament too." He had to perform the legal procedure whatsoever, "Fill the forms my assistants give you. The session is adjourned till that."
********

Madhu got forms from the lawyer and sat in the cafeteria to fill them out. She made her father stay in the waiting hall to have minimal movement.
Vikram saw her alone and wanted to taunt her out of the marriage.
"Glad that you are educated!" He commented to her. His jaws were clenched and his attitude was dominating. Madhu put the forms on the table and saw him, "Were we lovers before this meeting?"
Vikram scowled, "What?"
"Were we siblings?" She resumed her questions. He cringed thinking his fiancee was a sibling.
"Were we friends or acquaintances?" She crossed her hands and demanded. He nodded from side to side.
"Then shut the fuck up instead of bugging me," she yelled at him which created a scene in the room.
Vikram flinched at her tone, "Cool down, kid."
She frowned, "I am not a kid, Grandpa. Go somewhere."
Krish walked with two cups of coffee and wasn't happy seeing them together. "Hey, kid," he greeted and sat beside his friend.
"Shit!" Madhu cursed, "I don't want your stunts now."
"I warn you about our wedding life. It's going to be savage. Better back off from this," Vikram intimidated her. Madhu snapped back, "Why can't you cancel this wedding and save my life?"
"I am a drunkard," he added. She smirked, "I am a vampire," not backing from her stand.
"I am secretly married," he stated in another lie. Madhu laughed, "I am secretly gay."
"Drama is good," Krish commented, biting a biscuit. "You both suck at lying."
They both glared at him together.
"Marriage, reasons..." Krish reminded their aims which made them resume their talks.
"You are too young for this," Vikram pouted at her. Madhu pointed her forefinger at him, "You are too old for this shit."
"I am twenty-seven," he stated. She interrupted, "And I am twenty-one."
"You need not argue with us," Krish warned her. "Just don't sign these forms and run away from here."
Madhu thought it was enough taunting from the guys. She pushed the coffee cup towards them which spilled the steaming coffee on their hands and chest.
"What the fuc-!" Vikram flinched, pushing his chair backwards with his butt. Krish ran to the fridge and drenched their burnt spots with cold water. Other people laughed at the childish behaviour of those grown men.
Madhu enjoyed the sadistic pleasure.
Krish shouted in pain, "I am a cop in Mumbai. I will show you my power."
She exclaimed, "A villain in his shining armour!"
Vikram reprimanded her, "Is it funny to you?"
Though she was scared of his attitude, she had clear words, "If you don't want to marry, you must run away. Don't try to push me out with this unwanted attitude."
"Money is important to you, that's why you are keen to marry a stranger," he accused her. He thought the tag of gold-digger might chuck her out.
She smirked, "If you are saintly, why did you come from Mumbai? Is it to cancel this arrangement?"
Vikram stood idly.
"You have the same motive as me. Don't shame my aim and feel proud of yours," she expressed her anger, "If you are a millionaire, even I am a millionaire. Be a man and face this situation. Don't dare to play with me in the future. Next time it will be acidic instead of coffee."
Vikram watched her walk out of the place in wonder.
Krish reached his friend in shock, "She is perfect for you. You hit the lottery." He didn't phantom Vikram's mercurial attitude from her.
They underestimated her age and appearance. Vikram pounded the table in anger, "I will make her life a hell."
******