Chapter 14

"I love this place," she commented in a flat voice. He took great efforts to induct her in the hospital but she lacked gratitude. He didn't realise that.
"I guess your dad is happy with my job," she added. Vikram agreed, "Though he was sceptical to provide you a job at first, you made your way."
"I proved his doubts wrong," she concluded to him. He pursed her shoulder, "I love you, Karishma."
She scoffed, "Stay away from me. Don't ignite rumours in the workplace."
Vikram took his hands off her, "It would be easier for us to unite sooner if the rumours reach my dad."
She rolled her eyes, "I need time. You can leave now."
Vikram reminded her before exiting the room, "You can chuck me out of this room. I won't give up on you..."
On the way out, he met his dad who threw a questioning glance at his son.
"I came here for a file, dad," Vikram babbled quickly. Sooraj crossed his hands, "You seem to attend this staff a lot."
"Dad, she was my classmate," Vikram tried to convince his dad in vain. Sooraj eyed his son up and down, "Why is she interested in our financial records?"
Vikram paused all of his thoughts at the words, "What are you saying?"
"Not only that, she has a keen interest in our IT department too," Sooraj threw more bombs of words over his son who stood overwhelmed.
"What are you saying for these?" The old man asked his son. "I hope we aren't taming a snake."
Vikram drowned at the seriousness in his dad's face. He presumed that she was curious but went on to her for an explanation.
"I want to know my life after our marriage," she lied to Vikram. "Don't I have the rights?"
"You will know everything after our marriage. What's the hurry?" He replied calmly and forgot the issue.
That became a major issue of his lifetime.
******

Madhu looked at the mirror and adjusted her braid for one final time. While turning to leave she tumbled on the empty bottle of beer that rolled beside the bed and her husband sprawled on the bed, unknown to the happenings.
Vikram sneaked in two bottles the previous night and dared to offer her a drink. She, of course, declined it and got kicked out of the cosy bed. He hadn't given her a blanket or pillows to spend the night. She had a disturbed sleep while he snored on the bed after gulping the shit he bought.
She gave the sleeping bastard a dirty glance and made her way out of the room. As she reached the living room, Niyati greeted her with a cup of coffee and an energetic smile. Madhu returned the glee to her sister-in-law.
"Are you ready?" Sooraj questioned her, keeping away the newspaper that he read. She shook her head confidently.
"You can learn a lot," Rati guided her with an authoritative tone. "Use the opportunity wisely."
Madhu absorbed her points when Vikram yawned from upstairs and rubbed his tired eyes. All the people downstairs were stunned by his noise.
He scowled at each of the faces he met. "Shit! Why didn't you guys leave? How will my day go!"
"That's our problem too..." Niyati cut him off. "You should have woken up in your usual time."
"What is that?" Madhu mouthed to her. Niyati whispered, "Eleven."
Madhu was taken aback. Nobody in her family woke up past eight and her husband was a living sloth. Sooraj directed the questions about Vikram's next visit to the hospital. Though Madhu wanted to stay with that family, she pondered the guest appearance of Vikram in his own family.
"I will decide someday," Vikram replied uninterestedly. Madhu couldn't decide how her life worsened around him.
"You drop your wife on her first day," Rati ordered Vikram. "Give her a head start about our business."
Madhu interrupted the old woman, "I will figure it out once I reach the hospital." The last thing needed was Vikram's driving skills after the alcohol.
Rati eyed the new bride and warned in a polite tone, "Don't interrupt me. This is your last warning."
Madhu bowed her head.
Vikram glowered at the old woman, "You are going to stick your ass on the couch for the whole day. Don't taunt my wife."
"Then take that queen to the hospital instead of siding for her," Rati said to him and walked away.
Madhu stood from the couch and told Vikram that she would manage without his help.
"I will drop you at the hospital," Vikram told her. "I am not having a hangover. Don't worry."
********