Chapter 8

"He didn't say a word of what happened," Niyati shrugged to her dad at the lounge. "He never told us anything, no matter how serious the issue could be."
Krish sat beside them silently. Though he knew the tremors between Madhu and Vikram, he maintained secrecy in front of his dad. 
"Maybe he deserves some time," Sooraj calmed his daughter, calculating the attitude of his son and the situation he was tossed into. "Any person will have teething troubles in an arranged wedding. This type of arrangement will be the hardest for him."
"You are right, Dad. He has to share it with someone," Niyati shared her thoughts with her dad and doubted that Krish might know something. "I hope Vikram and Madhu form a team sooner. They are going to live together."
Krish added his opinion, "Vikram isn't a bad guy too. I am sure that they both will be happy." Though he doubted Vikram to be cordial with Madhu, he lied to appease the family.
Niyati passed a glare at him, "You never warn his attitude. You aren't a good friend of him."
Sooraj extended his hand between them, "Alright! We are here for happiness and peace. Don't spoil your moods and mind. We are visiting their house tomorrow. Have a sound sleep."
He left the place to avoid unnecessary tension from the young blood.
Krish too stood from the couch and started to walk towards his room. Niyati followed him, "Why did you snap at me?"
Krish paused in his tracks for a moment and continued his path. She ran behind him and held his hand harshly. He hissed in pain, "Don't you have manners with me? You will fracture my hand."
Niyati pursed it tightly, "You have to talk with me about that."
Krish pulled her to the front and twisted her hand behind her back, "What to talk about?"
Their faces were inches away from each other and he pushed her onto the corridor wall, pinning either of her hands on top of her head.
Niyati gulped at the deserted surroundings and his demeanour. She whispered to leave her alone. Their proximity churned her guts and she felt his heart beating faster through their sandwiched chests.
Krish frowned at her, "Where did you run from the pool?"
Niyati gaped, "Oh, that! Vikram arrived suddenly and we weren't in the best of our outfits. I fled to avoid unwanted gossip."
He eyed her almond-shaped eyes and sharp nose. She almost resembled Vikram but in an elegant manner. He could smell strawberry hair spray from her stray hair and felt drugged by that aroma.
She fancied his jawline and gelled hair. His lips tugged downwards as he was engrossed in thinking. "What happened, Krish?" She felt his hands loosening her hands.
"I understand," he said calmly and apologised to her. She placed her hand over his chest, "It's alright."
Krish etched his eyes into hers and pondered her transformation into a beautiful woman. The teenager whom he met in pigtails and braces became a fetching beauty. When he leaned near her ears, she closed her eyes.
"Tomorrow wears something in yellow," he whispered to her and walked away. She touched her ear which received the warmth of his breath. Her heart pounded faster, thinking about him. She felt the heat creeping on her neck and walked to her room to calm her nerves.
Krish wasn't the same boy she knew.
**********

Vikram appreciated the beauty of Hegde's mansion though he hated to be there. His dad and Krish commented on the Southern architecture style and Niyati seemed energetic for the lunch hosted by Praneet. The invite from Praneet came with the inconvenience of meeting Madhu whom Vikram loathed. She wounded him twice and Krish supported her motives instead.
The clan of Hegdes waited outside and Vikram could see Madhu mirroring his aversion. Madhu saw his bowed head and the disinterested face behind his accomplices. She felt irritated to meet Vikram as she presumed that he won't attend the gathering. 
They both hated to live together after the wedding.
"Welcome to Hegde's abode," Praneet greeted with a wide smile near the entrance. Sooraj picked up his speed which irked Vikram and showed him necessitous.
"Everything is mesmerizing," Krish commented to Praneet and waved to Madhu. Vikram cleared his throat and passed a dirty stare between his friend and fiancee. Sooraj missed his late wife in that important phase of life but pulled himself together.
Though there was the warmth of the afternoon, the chill air from the garden tingled their skins. Praneet shared that they were accustomed to the climate and led his guests inside the house.
The white shade of the living room with contrasting brown furniture had a sophisticated appeal. Vikram applauded the taste of Praneet who said those were the idea of Madhu much to Vikram's dismay.
Madhu stole the limelight from her brother in the family portraits. She looked beautiful to his eyes as if she were a statue instead of a living person. Her father boasted her achievements which broadcasted her as a heavenly lass.
Vikram was bored with the whole discussion. Madhu stood beside the staircase, witnessing the banter of Krish, Niyati, Madhav, and Ankitha. He walked near her and said in an authoritative tone, "I have something for you. Come with me."
She turned deaf to his voice.
"I am talking to you," he insisted, grabbing her hand harshly. She elbowed his chest and scowled, "Request me. You are not my boss to order."
"I am," he countered her.
"I am not your servant or a slave," She shoved him back and crossed her hand. He mumbled, "I want you to join me."
She said, checking her nails, "Then, request me."
He sighed, "Could you come with me?" and gulped his ego, "Please?"
She smirked, showing him the way to her room. He commented on the hues of her room, "They are hideous."
Madhu remarked at the walls, "The yellows depict dawn and violets the dusk. We need both of them to fulfil a day." She drowned in the smooth surface of the paint and relished its beauty.
Vikram cleared his throat, opening the zipper of his shirt. She immediately blushed at the sight, "What are you doing? Get out."
Vikram eyed her up and down and took an envelope, "Read this."
Madhu got the envelope, "What is this?"
"You are literate," Vikram shrugged, "Read it for yourself."
She was surprised at the divorce agreement within a short period. "How did you arrange this?" she sounded impressed. Vikram felt competent at her awe but stopped himself from boasting.
She saw his signature at the bottom of the agreement and scribbled her signature as well.
********

"Don't you like the food?" Revathy questioned Vikram, serving him a morsel of gravy. He resonated motherly vibrations from her, "I... I am full. I like everything."
The Hegdes had an extravagant display of Karnataka cuisines for their guests, surprising the Raos. Madhu couldn't enjoy the tasty meals as Vikram constantly peeked at her.
Sooraj looked at Praneet and put forward his requisite, "We need to host a grand wedding in a limited time."
Praneet agreed, "We will arrange a reception party after a week." He planned a lot for Madhu's marriage which turned out to be a surprising menace with the will.
Madhu passed a glance at Vikram and talked to her father, "We don't want a pompous party."
Vikram clarified that they preferred a court wedding. Sooraj looked down at that concept, "We have funds to marry two more kids. Don't interfere in our decision."
Praneet agreed with Sooraj, "We have standards in society."
Madhu opposed her father, "We shouldn't marry for the society. It should be a private matter between our families."
Vikram strengthened her debate, "A court wedding will be easier for us to resume the legal proceedings."
"But I planned a lot for her wedding," Praneet frowned at his plate, "You are disrespecting a father's wish for his daughter."
Madhu assured him that their life after the wedding only mattered the most. Vikram summed up, "We want a simple wedding. Please consider our preference."
The things at the dining table appeared to be smooth but their parents were hurt by the simple wedding. The bride and the groom hated their instructions as the inheritance spoiled their life.
Others couldn't tell if the bride and groom wanted the wedding for real.
**********

Madhav stomped on the lawn. He witnessed Ankitha with Vikram engrossed in a deep conversation and Madhu didn't stop her fiancee from his crush. He even saw Ankitha giggle at Vikram which she scarcely did. How could a stranger take his place?
Madhu told about Ankitha's love life. Was she cheating on her lover? He envied the manly aura that Vikram had around Ankitha. His target should have been Madhu instead.
"Hey loner," Ankitha walked to him after her talk was finished with Vikram, "Why don't you mingle with your brother-in-law?"
Madhav fumed at her, "Why are you worried for Vikram?"
"You both are cool guys in your ways," she commented to him irritatedly, "You will make a great friend to him."
Madhav shrugged to her, "I need some alone time. Don't disturb me." 
Ankitha shrugged, "You seem to be in trouble. What is it?"
He stopped her words, "Nothing that interests you. Could you leave?"
She scowled at him and opened her mouth to debate but Madhu interrupted them. "Did I disturb you guys?"
Vikram walked beside her.
"You can take Ankitha with you," Madhav talked with Madhu but his eyes were fixed on Vikram. "I don't want any disturbance."
Ankitha started to yell profanities at Madhav. Vikram ignored their banter and enjoyed the sight of the garden before him. The moonlight and lamp posts gave a bright, fairyland appeal to the garden.
Madhu walked near him proudly, "How is my home?"
"Beautiful," Vikram enjoyed the view. "You maintain it very well."
"Then?" She questioned him.
"The sky is good and I love this climate," he said to her. "It's a miracle that I like something that is connected to you."
Madhu heaved a deep breath and chuckled, "I don't own nature and this place. It's my parents' dream house."
The cool breeze wafted across their skins and the nightfall was soothing. She looked at his charming face that hid behind a beard and ego. He turned to her and lifted one of his brows questioning her silent stare.
"You know... My father always says that the one who enjoys nature can never be egotist," she shared her words. "But you are an exemption."
He moved his head away from her face, "You have to thank god that we are in your place. I would have etched a bullet inside your skull to comment on my behaviour."
She laughed, "Are you a mafia?" and sat on a bench. "I won't mind that as we will live together only for a year."
He shrugged, "I am happy about this transient marriage too."
He didn't share words thereafter.
Madhu informed him that his grandmom was expected the next day. He passed an irritated stare at her.
"Your dad told me," she backed off. He warned her with utter seriousness, "Don't trust that witch."
"Which witch?" Madhu wondered. He shrugged, "My dad's mom."
Madhu pounded her head and commented, "You could've simply addressed her as grandmom." She then laughed like a maniac. He gawked at the sudden upheaval from her, "What happened?"
She hiccupped and laughed, "What will you call me?"
He frowned at her, "What should I address you?" He won't call her a wife, dear or darling if she had those plans.
She chuckled, "How about my dad's daughter-in-law? Or my sister's sister-in-law... Or-"
"My headache will be perfect," he voiced out. "You are giving me a hangover with words."
She sewed her eyebrows together and pouted, "I am not a bad headache as you," and stormed off.
He chuckled to himself, calling her a lunatic.