Chapter 10

"I can't believe that you were friends for ten years!" Niyati whispered in awe. The trio were settled in a cafe to quench their parched throats. Though the outfits for the wedding were purchased, the accessories were purchased by the women the next day. It seemed like a hunt in a forest to complete their final looks. After a long hurdle, they became content with their shopping.
"How can two females stay friends for a decade without ego clashes and boyfriend issues?" she elaborated on her doubt. Ankitha and Madhu eyed each other and chuckled.
Niyati frowned at them in jealousy, "Even your laughter matches with each other. I hate you both."
Madhu smiled at her and explained that it was tough to maintain, "If you both are committed to any relationship, it is easy to keep it up."
"Yup. We had the worst fights too, but we patched up the next day itself," added Ankitha. Madhu sipped coffee, "Aren't you and Krish friends too?"
"Yikes, nope," Niyati replied to her. "He is just Vicky's friend. We were kind of acquaintances as kids but not after that."
Madhu hesitated to question more.
Niyati added, "They were friends since playschool. For twenty years or so."
"Wow," Madhu wondered. "So, tell me more about your brother..."
Niyati's face fell, "I... don't know a lot about him these days. But he was a good kid."
Madhu absorbed the little information she received about Vikram.
Niyati shrugged, "My mom... I mean our mom died three years ago, and he has lived alone since then..."
Madhu pitied the tearful face of Niyati and got to know the reason behind Vikram's behaviour. "But he need not be this rude," she said. Niyati agreed with her, "He changed to an egotist. I don't want to support him, but I am telling you straight facts."
"Hmm. He never shared about your lives," Madhu informed her in a defeated tone. "How can I marry him without knowing if he is a normal guy or a drug peddler?"
Niyati chuckled, "He prefers alcohol, not drugs. Our mom was a doctor, and she would have killed him if she was alive today."
Madhu agreed, "He needs some education on manners," and side-eyed Ankitha. Niyati eagerly commented, "That means you both are in touch."
"Yup. He is a narcissist," Madhu said and remembered his rude tone over the phone. "I don't feel positive about him though..."
"Please don't take him wrong. It's the time that worsened his situation and I hope the time alone can heal him too," said Niyati. "I hate him for who he is today. But he was a good guy in the past who can change if you put in some effort."
"What is in it for me?" Madhu questioned Niyati, "I don't run a rehabilitation centre for mental health. I am already going through a tough time and I can't help Vikram."
"You only told me that relationships take commitment," Niyati pointed out the exact words of Madhu. "So, you have to commit to changing that maniac as you are a normal human being according to me."
Madhu backed off, "It's not my duty to meddle in his business."
Their drive back to the hotel was silent, quite opposite to their daytime. Madhu felt guilty for giving up on Niyati's hopes.
She couldn't wish that Vikram would change.
************

"Hey!" Krish grinned at the ladies and his eye sockets bulged at their hands, "Each of you is carrying three bags!"
"Yup," Niyati said. "We didn't use your money to buy these goodies. So, shut up."
Madhav sprinted near Ankitha and grabbed her bags, "These are heavy for your soft hands!"
Madhu handed over her bags to Madhav, "Oh! Bless your kind heart. Thank you."
Madhav chuckled sheepishly, "Did you empty the whole store?" and managed the heavy bags with his limping hands. Ankitha chuckled and patted his shoulders, "We left a lot in stock."
His temperature rose when Ankitha looked at him with her brown eyes and tugged her stray hair behind the ear. He stared at her shamelessly.
"Keep it in your car. I will get it once we reach your home," Ankitha ordered him. Madhav nodded in response.
"Lock the car promptly," Madhu added. "We can't lose our beautiful jewels."
"Hey, you!" Niyati called Krish and shoved her bags in his hands, "Handle these with care."
Madhu giggled, "He would."
"Did you get whatever you needed?" Madhav questioned Ankitha. Madhu snorted, "I am the bride here."
He interrupted her with an irritated face, "You don't need tons of jewels for that coat suit."
She scowled at him, "Have some respect for your sister. Idiot."
Ankitha placed her hands on her ears, "Stop your tantrums, guys. Krish and Niyati would get PTSD with your fights."
"Oww!" Niyati was surprised. Krish gawked at them, "I would better keep these in the room."
Niyati searched for her brother along with the guys, "Where is Vikram?" Krish announced that he stayed in the room.
"Didn't he join you?" She asked again. Madhav and Krish bobbed their heads to the side. Madhu scrunched her nose, "I will go and meet him." The secrecy of Vikram irked her.
"Second floor, room seven," Niyati informed her of the room. While Madhu walked towards the elevator, Krish ran behind her.
She questioned his intention with her facial expression.
"He might be drunk," Krish shrugged. "He usually drinks when left alone." He felt ashamed about his good-for-nothing friend. Madhu understood his words, "I have pepper spray in my bag. I will take care of myself."
Krish looked at her with a dropped jaw.
Madhu found herself before the door of his suite. Her thoughts warned her to return to the lobby. But she was determined to clear their clashes as she would be his dependent in Mumbai.
God only knew his intentions after the marriage.
**********

Madhu knocked on the room door once or twice but nobody attended. She placed her ear on the door to hear inside the room but couldn't figure out anything. Suddenly, the door was opened, and she fell on the bare chest of Vikram with her face in front. She smelled the body wash in his vicinity and felt warmth from his skin. He traced her forearm with his damp fingers and smelled the shampoo. The hair on his chest tickled her cheeks and she smiled. When he realised their deed, he moved her behind. He was awestruck by her flushed face and aloof eyes, "Why are you here?"
She tried not to peek at his broad, hairy chest but couldn't stop gazing over his features. He didn't have that editorial chiselled features, but he was perfectly fit for his height. "I... I mean..."
"Yes?" he eyed her curiously. She cleared her throat and looked down, "I know about your mom...."
"Enough," he interrupted her. "Tell me what you want."
"Let's end our animosity," she smiled and extended her hand. He crossed his arms in front of his chest, "Not interested."
Madhu controlled her anger, "Can't you talk calmly?"
"You are troubling me. Can't you mind your business?" he glared at her. Madhu gawked at him, "Nope. It's my right to know our life after marriage."
"Good. I don't trust you, unfortunately," he spat venom with his eyes. She cursed herself to have thought of helping that asshole.
"Don't help me. You aren't my well-wisher," Vikram warned her. "And don't spend time on knowing me. It's a waste."
"You deserve the hatred of your family," she talked back. Vikram laughed at her, "You think I worry about them? My grand mom has seen an immature girl for the wedding. Even her IQ must have negative scores."
"You are immature and savage," Madhu pushed him behind, "I didn't want this marriage but now I pledge to make your life a hell. Only for that, I agree with this wedding."
"Let's see who spoils whose life," he said, walking near her. Once she backed off, he closed the door to her face.
"Maniac!" Madhu commented to herself.
"Did he behave well?" Krish questioned Madhu after he noticed her uneasy face while returning. He inferred that Vikram would have blabbered nonsense. She rolled her eyes, "If being rude is his routine, then he behaved normally."
Krish sighed, "Vikram is an idiot who doesn't know how to behave accordingly. He went through a tough time and became like this..."
Madhu had heard enough, "Niyati said the same thing. I am not a saint to change him. How can I feel his pain when I know nothing apart from his mom's death? He doesn't know how to care for his remaining family members."
Krish heaved a huge breath, "The thing is... He is the reason behind her death."