Chapter 11

The suit fitted her body well. The minimalistic jewels that adorned her features complemented the suit well. But, she wasn't happy. She couldn't smile at the mirror image of herself. Madhu had always thought of a noisy, chatty wedding day but she pitied her state on that day. The legal notice was troublesome, and so was Vikram. His disinterest to listen to others showed his petty behaviour.
She tolerated everything just for her family and the contract. Just for one year.
"You should have selected a saree..." Revathy commented on the displeasure to her daughter. Madhu rose from the chair and peeked at the mirror, "The legal notice didn't order me to wear traditional attire. So chill!"
They were already late and Revathy didn't press the issue further, "Don't we need to reach the court by eleven? Let's get going."
Madhu reminded herself to be calm about the issue. As she descended to the living room, her father and brother seemed pleased with her outlook. Madhu flashed a fake smile at them and walked near her father.
"You look angelic minus this dress," said Praneet. Madhu shrugged at him.
"This is her day, let her wear as she wants," Madhav supported her for the first time, but she didn't pay attention to him. Her mind churned with mixed emotions about the day, but it lacked excitement about the wedding.
She realised that she was entering hell.
"Sooraj informed that they have already started to the court," Praneet shared with his family and agitated everyone to get inside the car. Madhu heaved a huge sigh and kept her feet out of her home. She felt sick to leave her life and stay with Vikram.
Madhu messaged Ankitha because she didn't feel good about the marriage.
Ankitha immediately responded that she still had time to kill Vikram to save her best friend. Madhu chuckled at the message and looked out the car window.
She hoped that phase of agony would be a passing cloud.
*************

When the waves reached the rocks, their droplets were ripped by the serration. Still, the water reverted back to the shore. The destiny of the waves was to tolerate the pain caused by the rocks.
Vikram lay on the lap of his girlfriend under a coconut tree, watching the beach. Destiny had gifted him that angel as his girlfriend. She was a lateral scholar during his final year at the college and his bench mate since her induction.
Initially, they weren't garrulous but time brought them closer. They started discussing their studies at first, only to discuss life problems later. They realised that no other person would complement each other as they did.
"I don't think you value me much," she broke the silence to him. He sat up at that abrupt accusation.
"We are missing something," she complained with an insincere voice.
Vikram knew that he couldn't spend time with her after their graduation. He worked at the family hospital and she joined an MNC.
"Even though you own a hospital, you can't get me a job," she complained to him. Vikram laughed at her immaturity, "It's my dad's business. Once I start a business, I make you the CEO."
She rolled her eyes and whined, "It's tough for me to balance my job and love life. If I was working with you, we could spend time at the workplace."
Vikram felt gifted to have such a woman in his life. He promised to recommend her name to the vacancies. She interrupted him, "Your family shouldn't know our relationship. Once I gain a reputation with my talent, you introduce me."
Vikram thought that she hated nepotism. He agreed to her conditions. "My dad expects a lot from the staff. Don't be scared by him."
He believed that she would bring a spark to his life as they spent more time at the workplace. He didn't anticipate the spark to burn him alive.
***********

"Stop playing a romantic tune inside your heart," Rati yelled to Vikram. He regained his lost attention to the courtroom. He looked at his grandmom to hear her say.
"She will be yours in an hour. Wait till then," Rati elaborated her words and passed a glance to Madhu. They had been waiting at the court for thirty minutes but the judge hadn't arrived.
Madhu and Ankitha looked at the banter of the old lady and shook their heads in disapproval. Madhu developed a strong hatred towards the old lady. Maybe it was correct to keep the grandmom away from their married life.
Krish noticed the discomfort of Vikram. He advised his friend to cancel the wedding. Vikram disagreed with his friend, "I am trapped. I can do nothing." He eyed the old lady head to toe and moved to a distant spot.
The bride wasn't special to him so was that day. He needed to sign some papers like the office files and get a P.A. in the name of his wife. He didn't cherish the moment as marriage and her as his wife.
Even though Madhu tried to break the barrier between them, he presumed her to be nosy about his life. He didn't want to open up his heart to anyone and Madhu can't play the wife card. If he gave her a spot, she would be claiming ownership.
"How are you feeling?" Madhu suddenly heard from Rati. She was clueless about the motive behind the old woman's focus on her, then realised that Vikram had escaped the place.
"A lot of emotions..." she replied briefly. The old woman giggled, "Stop your erupting hormones from my grandson. He will be yours soon."
Madhu felt nauseous thinking that way.
"Slot three, Vikramaditya Rao and Madhumitha Hegde," announced the court attendant to them. Madhu involuntarily looked at Vikram and he too gave her a once-over.
The judge was stunned by the crowd, "You should have married traditionally to accommodate this crowd."
Madhu and Vikram sat on the front seats to sign the documents. The judge noticed their formal suits, "Did you elope from a business conference?"
Madhu nodded, "We wanted to be different."
The judge laughed, "He could have worn a saree and you could have adorned a dhoti too...."
Vikram glared at the judge, "Could you ask questions related to the wedding?"
"Yes, yes..." The judge controlled his laughter, "Are you, Madhumitha Hegde?"
"Yes," She affirmed.
The judge shifted his eyes to the groom, "That makes you Vikramaditya Rao..."
Vikram interrupted the judge, "I am a man. So my name wouldn't have been Madhumitha Hegde."
The judge peeked at him in displeasure, "My name is Lakshmikanth. But people fondly call me Lakshmi, which is a female name. Haven't you heard of unisex names? Come to the twenty-first century."
Madhu looked at the judge and pinched Vikram's hand discreetly. He hissed in pain and rubbed the spot.
Rati cleared her throat, "Could you start the process?"
The judge noticed their haste, "Is the wedding consented to by both of you? Your grandmother is in haste."
Vikram disapproved of the doubts, "We agreed to this wedding." Madhu bobbed her head in consent.
The judge scanned the papers and announced, "I attest the wedding of Madhumitha Hegde and Vikramaditya Rao to be legally valid."
There was applause inside the room.
The judge informed, "The inheritance is written to the heirs."
"Good," Vikram commented and stood from his chair to leave. Rati stopped him and showed a nuptial chain to him, "Tie it around her neck."
"Why is this needed?" He asked in return. Rati inhaled a deep breath, "It has lots of value. The black and golden beads indicate her parental and marital homes. It carries her achievements of the past along with the dreams of the future. When you tie it, you are promising her respect, compassion and love."
Vikram took the chain and looked at the beads. His conscience told him to handle the nascent chain carefully. Madhu walked beside him and waited for him to tie the chain.
He drowned into her eyes while his hands tied the chain. She felt the rising temperature of her skin and racing heartbeat when his knuckles touched her neck. She witnesses the happiness in the faces of her parents, in-laws and friends.
How could she face them after a year?
****************

"Would you have sent me to him yesterday?" Madhu spilled her anger when her mother reminded her about the wedding night. "One signature won't change anything."
Her mother glared at her, "He is your husband. Talk respectfully."
"What husband? I married him only to save our family's business, not to copulate," she shouted with veins popping out of her throat.
She had to tolerate the irritable mockeries of the elders the whole day. Thinking of Vikram sickened her guts and the advice that her mother showered about the wedding night worsened everything.
Her mother talked as if it was a planned wedding and she had to adjust to the needs of her husband, Vikram.
Madhu calmed her mother "I won't kill Vikram and you guys should be thankful for that."
"His grandmother was specific about tonight..." Her mother said slowly.
Madhu frowned at her mother, "Damn her views! Doesn't she know this wedding is forced upon us?"
Her mother stood like a statue. Madhu realised the need of eliminating the old woman from their marital life. She stared at her mother and stormed out of the room. Her only relief was Vikram too despised the night.
Vikram wanted to drink beer but he was imprisoned in the bedroom of his new wife. The room had water bottles and fruits which were useless. He was made to wait in that room for the consummation party thrown by the idiotic elders. He protested to let them do as they wished but Rati rejected his plea.
"Spend your night in the same room," she ordered them. Naturally, their parents had to obey the old witch. He would spend the night as he pleased. He observed the moon which looked the same as the night before but his life changed drastically. Though he hated Madhu, he wanted to protect his wife.
She became his better half in documents. That night was going to be awkward for them.
He heard the creak of the door and looked at Madhu who didn't acknowledge his presence. She grabbed her pyjamas from the cupboard and locked herself inside the bathroom.
He lay on the bed without seeking her permission. As he drifted into a deep slumber he heard her voice.
"What are you doing on my bed?"
He opened his eyes, "Sleeping. I am in... if you want to do something else on the bed."
"No way..." She groaned. "Take your ass from my bed and sleep on the couch. I will die rather than sleep with you..."
"I don't sleep on the couch. It's not my thing," he dissed her words. "You go there."
"Go fuck yourself," she sat on the bed, facing away from him. He sat on the bed, "Go to the couch."
"It's my house," she retorted.
"Once you reach my house, you will live in hell.." he warned her and took his strides to the couch. It was miniature for his stature. His legs hung outside the armrest and his figure crushed the cushion.
"Fuck this .." he whined.
Madhu tossed on the bed, thinking about his warning. Guys who promised the moon and stars ended up as assholes and that guy was a living caveman.
How was she going to manage a year with him?
*********