Chapter 12

Her time ended in Bangalore within two days of the wedding. She would be living with her maniac husband as the inheritance rules were male chauvinistic and old school where the bride had to forget her birthplace, and parents and move to a new city like an orphan.
"Don't worry about anything. We are just a phone call away," Madhav consoled a tearful Madhu. Vikram already had the upper hand at Mumbai and Madhu had made him sleep on the couch which resulted in his increased anger. If other members of his family lived with them, she could have felt a minimum of stress.
Her husband excelled in adversaries, not harmony.
Ankitha consoled her friend with a hug and whispered that she could hire professional shooters to take care of Vikram. Madhu chuckled but stopped herself from cracking loud laughter. She noticed that had some serious conversation with her husband.
Both the men were poles apart in behaviour. She felt disgusted for her saintly father to speak with Vikram.
"Though you didn't meet appropriately, I appreciate your concerns about my daughter," Praneet talked to Vikram leisurely. "She needs time to adjust to everything..."
"I understand," Vikram interrupted politely. "I won't cause much trouble to her." He enjoyed the tension on the face of his new wife while leaving her comfort zone. He planned his revenge for the torturous nights on the couch.
He couldn't see how much she missed her days at her home.
"Let god shower his blessings on you," Revathy blessed the departing couple. "We are happy to leave her in your hands, Vikram."
Vikram lied that he would be there for Madhu every day without guilt.
Her family waved sentimental goodbyes to the departing family. Vikram clasped her hand to show fake concern, "I will treat you like Niyati. Don't worry."
Madhu withdrew her hand from him, "You don't have any concern for her. I know that..."
He licked his lips and pondered on her words. She then said, "That's how you will treat me too. I won't fall into your trap of lies."
"I wanted to be kind till you get accustomed to Mumbai. You don't deserve that," he hissed at her. "You will be my maid till our divorce."
She smirked at him, "I won't bend in front of you." 
"I welcome you to hell," he whispered to her and walked to his dad. "Once we reach Mumbai, you go your way. I will go to my house."
Rati stopped in her tracks and shouted, "Do you think that I will leave you? Nope."
Madhu blinked at the sudden banter at the airport.
Vikram crossed his hands and glared at her, "Nobody talked with you."
The airport was busy, witnessing their family feud. Madhu felt embarrassed.
"I will cancel this wedding," Rati smiled devilishly. "The whole process will be gone in the wind. Puff!"
"We will come..." Madhu interrupted them alarmingly and glared at her husband.
He gritted his jaws, "Only for tonight. I will leave tomorrow and this wife can live with you..."
"One week..." Rati bargained with him. "Then, you go your way with your wife."
Madhu planned to stay with the elders till their divorce. Otherwise, she would become his maid as he wanted.
*

*********

"Welcome..." the servants smiled at their new mistress at the entrance. She noticed the uncomfortable face of Vikram by her side. He crouched like a fugitive in a prison.
She scanned the sophisticated interiors from the doorway.
"Come in and see your home..." Niyati pulled her inside the bungalow. "These are Irish tiles that Dad bought."
"Fancy," Madhu replied to her, looking at the furniture. "You have teak wood too."
"Yups! Mom loved those pieces," Niyati said with a broken voice. "She would have been happy to meet you."
Sooraj cleared his throat which made her stop the rants. Madhu noticed their family portrait and the picture of the dead mother. She resembled Niyati.
"Go and have some rest," Rati advised the young couple. "Vikram's room is cleaned for your stay."
"Just for a week's stay..." Vikram corrected his grandmother and stormed away.
Madhu was confused about that dysfunctional family.
*

**********

"Achhoo..." Madhu sneezed for the umpteenth time outside their room. The real motive behind Vikram's clean room was the arrangement of flowers for their nuptial night in his home.
Madhu caught the worst allergic reaction from the fragrance of the flowers and Vikram had to call in the servants to clear off the garbage.
"It will be over in five minutes..." he informed her, handing her a napkin. "Use this instead of sending me the flu...."
"It's just an allergic reaction, not flu..." she said, "Achoo."
He stuffed her nose with that napkin and she blew her nose in it.
"Yikes!" He withdrew his hand. "I don't want the musty mucus on my fingers. Clean by yourself."
She sneezed again and Vikram ran inside the room. She sat on the floor with crossed legs and cleaned her runny rose.
"Your brother..." He returned with her mobile and ran away quickly.
"You forgot me!" Madhav whined to her. Madhu sneezed, "This old lady has arranged for our nuptial night. Imagine me on a bed with a floral arrangement!"
"Oops!" Madhav exclaimed. "You didn't opt for a wedding saree just because of those hair arrangements. I can't say more!"
"Yup..." she agreed. "I have been sneezing for twenty minutes and my nostrils are burning!"
"What did he do?" Madhav questioned her.
"Oh, you ask about my husband? He instructed the servants to clean up the room..." Madhu said over the phone and saw Vikram coming near her with a set of pillows and blankets.
She put the call on hold.
"We need to occupy another room. The smell is predominant...." he told her and apologised for the inconvenience. She saw that he had got extra pillows, "One pillow is okay for me..."
"Where will I sleep?" He questioned her. "Though I am not allergic, I don't like the smell of flowers."
Madhu nodded her head, "You go. I will finish talking and join you."
He nodded and walked to the opposite side of the corridor. She noticed that the call had been disconnected by Madhav. He must've been frustrated to shout alone and Madhu was battered to fill the details to her brother that night.
She made her way to the guest room and found her husband sleeping on the only bed in that room. She closed the door and broke the silence, "Where should I sleep?"
Vikram pointed to the floor where he threw a pillow and blanket for her.
"At least I gave you a decent couch..." She whined to him. That guy got on her nerves.
"You can sleep in that fragrant room," he suggested to her in a sleepy voice. She stomped near him and pulled his ear, "It will wake you up."
His yells echoed across the room. She wiggled his head, "I won't sleep on the floor."
He shoved her grip and rubbed his ear, "Silly witch! How dare you?" He stormed in front of her and she walked backwards meekly until she hit the wall.
"You need a lesson on obedience," he whispered to her ear. His airy voice tickled her senses and she blinked at him. Either of his hands was on her sides and their chests were sandwiched together, rising and falling in harmonious breaths.
"You need a lesson on humanity," she told him with a wheezing voice. The butterflies fluttered at a swift pace inside her stomach. Words ceased to come out of her mouth when he stood closer.
"Really? Teach me then," he challenged her. His hoarse voice shook her insides. Though her feet were on the floor, her heart soared above.
"Speak something, saint," he rubbed his tired eyes. Madhu bit her lips to control her bubbling emotions, "Respect your fellow human. It's the basic trait needed for a human."
Vikram opened his eyes, "Then I am not human. I am a cannibal that slurps your blood..."
"Move," Madhu pushed him and jumped on the bed, "This place is mine."
Vikram glared at her, "Move down."
She closed her lazy eyes, "Goodnight."
Vikram gaped at her, "You are calling for it."
She hugged the pillow tightly and snored. There was a dip on the bed and Vikram slept beside her.

She didn't complain.
*

*********