Chapter 13

The bright rays of the sun pricked his eyes and he wanted to turn over to the other side but he couldn't. Some heavy weight paralysed his torso and he noticed the sleeping position of Madhu. Her head dropped down near the rim of the bed while her legs were elevated on top of his abdomen.
If someone else disturbed his calm slumber, he would have become a volcano but she amused him. He reached for his mobile and captured her picture for blackmailing purposes. He tapped her right foot and she kicked his abdomen in slumber.
"Hmmph," he whimpered loudly which woke her up. She noticed the way she slept near him and adjusted herself normally.  "I am sorry," she said to him.
Vikram rubbed his abdomen with a frown, "You could have slept on the fl-" and broke into laughter at her face. She was astounded at his amusement.
He dragged her near the mirror and sat on the floor to continue his laughter. She looked at the horrifying state of her spiked hair strands and bloated face, "Oh shit!" Vikram huffed for breath with continuous laughter.
She kicked his abdomen, "Stop mocking me."
He rubbed the aching spot and threw a pillow to her face. She threw the pillow back at him. Soon, they threw whatever object they found in the guest room and didn't notice that Rati witnessed the rampage.
"What the hell?" The old woman shouted in her meek voice. "You pigs!"
The couple rooted on their spots and blinked at her.
She walked inside with a red face, "I hadn't anticipated starting the day with this litter hub! Behave like adults you both!"
Vikram glared at her, "You should have knocked before entering the room of newlyweds."
Rati inched near him, "I knocked twice, nincompoop. You made a deafening sound." She turned to Madhu, "I didn't expect such nasty behaviour from you."
Madhu hung her head down in shame.
"Get out!" Vikram yelled at his grand mom who had made unnecessary statements about his wife. Rati scowled at them, "Lock the door if you need privacy," and retreated her steps out of the room.
Vikram walked near Madhu and lifted her face, "Don't cry. That witch could only curse at you. Your tears won't soften anybody."
She rubbed her wet cheeks and hugged him abruptly. He became a statue to her touch. She cried for a few minutes and became silent.
"Sorry. I didn't want any control..." she told him and moved out of the room.
"Even I..." He sighed to himself.
*

********

The breakfast at the dining table was silent, very much in contrast to Madhu's home. Vikram avoided the presence of everyone including her and the others too ate like lonely entities. She saw lots of cracks between the members. Rati commented to the mass, "Vikram still has a heart inside him. He couldn't tolerate the embarrassment of his wife this morning."
Sooraj looked at the couple and his mom, "Really? What happened?"
"None of your business," Vikram interrupted them. "Nobody disrespects us during this one-week stay. Otherwise, I will leave this house today."
"That doesn't mean I will allow anything for you to stay here," Rati challenged him. Madhu hid behind him to avoid being in the eyes of the old woman.
Niyati rolled her eyes, "Granny, they are just married. Don't create unnecessary scenes."
Rati frowned at the younger lady, "So, you became my grandma. What else can you advise?"
Niyati shifted her eyes to her plate and remained silent.
"Good..." Rati commented to her and turned her attention to the couple, "You are guests here and I hope for good behaviour."
Madhu nodded to her while Vikram yawned.
Rati ordered them, "Instead of our maids, you both clean the room."
"..What?" Vikram stood from his chair. "It's not my job, looney woman."
"The will is in my hands...." Rati reminded him calmly. "Go and clean the room."
Just as Vikram opened his mouth to oppose her, Madhu interrupted them, "Yes. We will.." and dragged her husband from the dining room.
*

********

"I won't touch the broom," Vikram listed his conditions. "I won't mop and I won't bend."
Madhu threw the flower vase on him, "Are you pregnant? Or an old man? I won't do this... I won't breathe..."
She mimicked his tone and arranged the vanity.
Vikram placed the vase near the window, "You are talking too much."
"Oh... You are the one who does the talking. I at least arranged the bed properly," she bickered.
He huffed and took the photograph of his mom which lay broken on the floor. Madhu saw him idle from his backside and stormed near him, "Can't you at least...." but saw the photo frame and became mum.
He stiffened but remained silent.
"Do you need to talk?" She questioned him softly. He nodded to her, "Brush the floor. I will mop up later."
She eyed him occasionally whilst cleaning but he stood in the same spot. After ten minutes, she tapped his shoulder, "You can mop now."
He came out of his thoughts and placed the photo on a wooden rack to mop the room. She relaxed on the bed to let him do his work without disturbance.
"Do you think we both are equally responsible?" Vikram tried small talk with her.
"For what?" She asked him, turning on the bed to her right side.
"After marriage in general," he glanced at her.
She shrugged, "General couples are responsible. It doesn't matter about our contractual relationship. Why do you ask?" 
He thought for a while, "When my grandmom told us we are equally responsible, I felt weird."
"Even I," Madhu agreed with him. "I am responsible for my actions and you for yours. We need not confuse it."
"Hmm," he nodded.
"And I am joining your dad's business from tomorrow," she informed him.
"Who told you?" He interrogated her with a serious face. She couldn't shake off his dubious face, "Your dad. Why do you ask? Don't I fit the bill?"
Vikram eyed her top to bottom, "I don't know you to comment about that." He didn't count on her to work at the hospital.
She exclaimed, "I am excited about tomorrow. I won't disappoint your dad."
"Hmm..." Vikram acknowledged her words. "I don't care actually. Stop ranting."
She frowned at him, "You don't want me to work there."
Her wit shocked him. He tried to wing it, "It's not like that."
She shook her head, "You try to chuck me out with your negative comments. But I will work."
Vikram sighed, "I don't care what happens there. I am staying away from family politics."
Madhu tried to extract information, "Yes. You have problems with your dad. So, you would stay away only."
He avoided the topic, "I have other things than gossip. Do something productive instead of prying into my life."
She knew something was off between the family members. Even though she didn't belong there, she wanted to detangle the mess before leaving. "I don't know about your past. I can understand that you have something big behind that rage."
He observed the wall instead of facing her.
"I don't defend anyone in this home but there is nothing wrong in talking and sorting problems," she advised him. His ego was a bigger problem as far as she noticed.
Vikram glared at her, "You shouldn't meddle in my life like I already addressed this issue."
Madhu crossed her arms, "I was just..."
Vikram interrupted her, "Stay within your limits instead of advising. You are just a fake wife."
Madhu glared at him, "I know my place at your home. I am warning you to have a place in your own home."
He controlled his anger and walked out of the room.
Madhu mumbled in anger, "Don't I know my fake husband? I am going to work in his dad's business and live as his contract wife. Why should I change this family?"
She gained nothing out of that. "I shouldn't dwell on his attitude. He must be jealous."