Chapter 19

"I hope Madhu didn't trouble you much," Praneet sighed over the phone. "I haven't brought her up to divide your family.  It's a shame that she kept mum in this situation."
Sooraj was aware of her helpless state in front of Vikram,  "We already were divided.  She can't change anything within one week of marriage. She is a hard worker at the hospital."
Praneet was disappointed when Sooraj made her an intern. He didn't talk much regarding the topic. "I have been wanting to ask about their visit here."
"Whose visit?" Sooraj pondered. Praneet stated, "Madhu and Vikram."
Sooraj was confused about the sudden invitation. Praneet explained,  "My relatives aren't happy about the surprise wedding. They demand a reception party and I can't decline them."
Sooraj thought for a while and realised the need.  He agreed to send the newlyweds to Bangalore, "Madhu must be hating this place. She needs a change."
Praneet was glad about that. "Madhav is doubling his tasks at my business."
Sooraj envied that obeying son,  "It's apt time for him to know what you were doing over these years.  He is going to take care of that."
"Exactly. Even Madhu is well-versed in bigger matters, " Praneet tried to explain. "She made major decisions here. I hope she is useful there too."
Sooraj laughed,  "Are you pointing out my decision of making her an intern? Don't worry, I will make her the CFO after the Bangalore trip."
Praneet was glad about that and disconnected the call. Sooraj looked outside the window and wondered how his wife would have thought about Praneet's involvement in their business decisions. She might've hated that.
He wouldn't have tested Madhu if his wife was alive. Vikram would have remained the favourite son of their family and they would've got all the happiness that they lost over those years.
The sky surrounded itself in violets and blacks. His furious mom would be waiting at home to reprimand him for being late. It had been for some months that he failed in his duties. With the sudden death of his wife, the family broke apart and he remained a spectator of gruesome events.
He sighed and walked out of his cabin, occasionally greeting the night staff. He met Krish near an ambulance who was drenched in blood. His eyes widened at the sight of Sooraj.
The nurses pulled a stretcher from the ambulance where Madhu lay in a lifeless state. Vikram helped to push the stretcher and halted at the sight of his dad.
Sooraj eyed them in a state of shock.
Within two days of moving out his son probably attempted the murder of an innocent girl.
***********

Vikram couldn't utter a word to anyone. He was nothing lesser than a statue. Krish stabilised his emotions and filled in the details about Madhu to the doctors. Vikram saw her stretcher being transferred inside the surgical theatre and he felt as if he was being rallied inside a vortex.
He replayed the events at the parking lot where that bastard pulled a gun against him. When he thought of escaping the trigger, Madhu pushed him away and took the bullet. He saw blood oozing from her left shoulder and her legs trembled to stand up.
Why did she do that for him?

"I won't spare him," Krish said which were mere mumbles to an astounded Vikram. It had been a little more than an hour since she vanished for surgery and they waited to meet her again.
Vikram never anticipated the day to end like that. Because of his carefree attitude, Madhu faced a life-threatening situation. They were slapped by the inheritance already and he added on to her miseries. He regretted everything late.
He leaned on the wall, thinking of her being shot. He felt suffocated by her tired face when she clutched her shoulder. Even the gangsters were surprised by the unfolding events and they eloped the spot before the police could reach them.
He felt disgusted by himself for being reckless to such a generous woman.
"You finally managed to kill her!" Sooraj stormed near him and yelled. "You never bring peace to anybody. First, you killed your mom and now, it's your wife."
Vikram shook his head frantically, hoping for her to heal. "She will be alright." He started to believe in gods and omens for her. 
Sooraj grabbed him by his shirt collar, "How dare you talk back? Do you know how alarmed Praneet was? He is a heart patient, you! Damnit!"
Vikram couldn't reply in devastation. She dared to save him without any expectation. Nor would he give her the happiness that she deserved. He never did anything for her but she rendered a great help. He failed as a human being.
"We have imprisoned that naive girl in this marriage," Sooraj added. Krish tried to calm the situation, "It's not the time to blame or taunt him."
Vikram knew she would hate him for that trouble. He never knew how to answer if her father or mother grabbed his collar like that. Krish consoled him that Madhu would be fine.
Vikram averted his thoughts, "I want to kill them with my bare hands, Krish. Call me once you arrest that bastard."
Krish eyed him up and down, "What else would he do if you sleep with his wife? I didn't peep into your sex life when the women involved were single and desperate. But that woman was married to a fucking gangster. What else would he do?"
"He must've taken care of his bed. I gave her what she desired on the bed," said Vikram. His argument proved to be baseless and stupid. Krish shook his head in displeasure and warned, "You are going to hurt her a lot. Divorce her if you can't take care of her."
*************

Praneet ran towards the emergency ward without noticing Vikram. He panted for breath when he halted at the door. Sooraj hurried near him and started to tell what he knew.
Praneet flashed his palm and gave a sharp stare. He didn't care about the stories they told about Madhu. He wanted to take back his child when she was being mistreated by everyone. His daughter wasn't their punching bag.
Revathy walked to Vikram and frowned, "Every mother prays for her daughter to end up with a guy who treats her respectfully. I don't want you to give her diamonds and platinum. You must've considered her a human. But there are no humans in your family."
She could have slapped him instead of those words.
"Don't waste your energy over these barbarians. The father made her a maid at business and the son made her a bodyguard. They don't need a woman to join this dysfunctional family. Out Madhu need not get a good name by sacrificing herself for this family," Praneet vented out his anger.
"This was an accident," said Krish. Praneet glared at him to silence his mouth. He didn't ask for an explanation.
"The surgery was successful," announced the doctor. Praneet hurried to him, "When can we discharge her? I will take care of her treatment in Bangalore."
The doctor explained her critical state, "It's unsafe to travel for at least a week. The bullet pierced through her muscles and we have stitched her. Please don't think about moving her out of this hospital."
Praneet hated to be in their hospital too. He doubted the efficacy of the doctors, "Maximum of four days. I will take her after that."
Sooraj couldn't speak up a word as he failed as a dad. Vikram always brought him embarrassment.
"Thank you, Krish, for your timely help," the doctors said. "He donated blood for her surgery."
Praneet looked at Krish for a brief moment but turned away immediately. The doctors then acknowledged, "Since her parents are here, we can get their blood if needed."
Praneet stuttered, "I am a heart patient."
Revathy added, "I don't belong to her blood group."
The doctors discussed something silently. Krish said, "I will volunteer again if needed. She saved my life too after all."
Vikram felt thankful for his friend.
Sooraj grunted at them, "She wouldn't have fought for her life if you both didn't take her out."
Krish sighed. What would happen if they knew the whole truth?
He prayed for Madhu to remain silent on this issue.