Chapter 22

"Don't worry, she is doing great," a doctor informed Vikram behind the eyes of Sooraj and Madhu's family. Krish smirked from his side and coughed. He gave Vikram lectures on how he was frantic to save Madhu. Also, he accused Vikram of putting effort to impress her.
Even Vikram had second thoughts about his feelings for her. He made up his mind to concentrate on the hospital instead of his consultancy business and move back to his dad's house. All of those could be possible only if she talks with him which was never going to happen.
Her parents were keen to discharge her and resume the medications in Bangalore which the doctors opposed.
"She can travel after two days." The doctor warned Vikram and went away. He looked fallen which was enjoyed by his dear friend. Vikram glowered at Krish and introspected the probability of her talking to him.
"She won't even listen to you," Krish mocked his friend. "Why can't you leave her for fuck's sake? She is always irritable."
Vikram shrugged. It was better.
They saw Ankitha near the park where she was sipping a beverage. Krish waved at her but she stood from her seat and walked away. It seemed that she deliberately ignored them.
"What's the problem now?" Krish whispered to his friend. Vikram followed her to demand answers.
"She was never gonna be respected by you," Ankitha accused Vikram out of the blue. Vikram stared at her blankly. Krish scrubbed his nose at another drama.
She stated, "You never change for another person, Vikram. Not even when she saved your life."
"What now?" Krish blurted out.
"It won't cost you a penny to be humble," she said. Madhu was bothered by his acting skills before others.
"What happened now?" Vikram fired his question at her. "You helped me to meet her yesterday. Why are you talking weirdly?"
Ankitha huffed, "Did you think twice before calling her a crybaby?"
Vikram widened his eyes at her.
She scoffed at his behaviour. "You belittled that woman who gave you another life. Why is she on the receiving end every time?"
Vikram needed to introspect about his mistakes instead of questioning others. Madhu said that other's words and advice were ineffective on him. She wanted to break free from him and prepared her mind to live as a single woman in Bangalore itself.
"Get lost in your fake concern," Ankitha warned him.
Vikram flinched, "Those words were in a spurt of irritation."
Ankitha couldn't believe her ears, "You irritated all of us and now, you are accusing us of irritating you!"
"Don't be so harsh," Krish advised her.
Ankitha seethed, "Did this little thing hurt you guys? Then what about the way you treated Madhu till yesterday? Just because she took a bullet, you are behaving nicely. Otherwise, she would have been your doormat."
Vikram couldn't digest the reality of her words.
"She never wanted to be with you. This inheritance shit and her father's health pushed her inside a hole," she pitied her friend. "Your true colours are black and everything evil. You made her hate her life."
Vikram broke upon hearing those words. "So, am I the reason for her to leave Mumbai?"
"She wants peace in life which is possible only in your absence," she stated to them. She was worried that Madhu would become insane if Vikram was near.
"I will go somewhere. Why does it have to be her?" He questioned her. He decided to end the ill names that he was getting around. Ankitha gritted her jaw, "Because that irritating crybaby came to your life just to spoil your life and happiness. You could have girlfriends and enjoy it if she goes away."
Vikram rioted, "You both overheard only half of it and accused me."
She flashed her palm, "You wouldn't have said respectable things about Madhu in the other half too. We would have enjoyed the full show if we stayed there."
Vikram saw her silently.
Ankitha concluded, "You both are better without each other. Just don't disturb her!"

***************************

"You earned that," Krish acknowledged casually. When Vikram glared at him he shrugged, "You could've shut your mouth yesterday."
"I am in a bad mood," Vikram snorted. "Don't make me cry."
Krish sat before him, "All the events are ready to separate you from that crybaby. Why are you sad?"
Vikram didn't know the reason. He didn't want to leave her side.
Krish laughed, "Eavesdropping a person ridiculing you is the worst thing. And Ankitha was sharing her ears too."
Vikram grunted, "Stop that!" 
Krish scratched his head, "I was proving you wrong too. Why couldn't they wait?"
Vikram huffed, "Madhu heard what was needed to leave the place."
Krish sighed, "How long would she tolerate you? Give her some breathing time."
Vikram threw his hands in the air, "Shut up.  I want to undo a mistake but I go on committing another one."
Krish scoffed, "You are immature."
Vikram paced around, "She wanted a contract marriage too. I behaved the way I should."
Krish frowned, "That doesn't sum up for your idiocracy."
Vikram snorted like a donkey, "What else should be done?"
Krish shrugged, "Beg to her feet."
Vikram heaved a big sigh and wanted to ignore the attitude of Madhu. "Forget it. I tried to apologise and mend my mistake but she isn't worth that ego."
Krish rolled his eyes at the hasty decisions of his friend. Vikram never gave time to think or reflect about his life. Everything he did was out of haste and many times it ended up in a mess.
Vikram recalled that she never liked to be in a marriage. She wanted to escape the protective setup her family gave her and use their marriage as an opportunity. He wasn't happy either. It was better for her to leave.
"She can live her life while I can do whatever I want to," Vikram announced. "Only that can solve my problems."
"Good for her," Krish acknowledged sarcastically.

**************************************

Ankitha blinked, conflicting with her thoughts whether to share about her discussion with Vikram to Madhu or not. Her friend sat on the hospital bed and scrolled the phone endlessly.
Madhu was agitated.
"He isn't worth this anxiety," Ankitha commented, knowing the patterns of her dear friend. Madhu looked away from the screen, gave a glare and turned back to the mobile. She won't admit her worries to anyone.
"You will be happy in Bangalore," Ankitha commented and looked at the floor. Madhu would've given her another one of those 'scary' stares. She must come to terms with her lonely fate.
"I know that," Madhu reckoned. "That's why I am keen to leave this place."
Ankitha perceived her to be bluffing but she was sure that Madhu quit. She felt empty being with the rude guy and without anybody besides her to talk to. She was clueless about managing the loneliness in Mumbai and being with her family felt warm.
"We are leaving tomorrow," Ankitha informed. Madhu rolled her eyes and concentrated on her phone. "I have planned to study in IIT."
"MBA?" Ankitha read the thoughts of Madhu and shrugged. Madhu wanted to refocus on her life and responsibilities would make her life merrier. She wanted an escape route from the small world of house chores, husband and children.
She dodged a big bullet in Vikram's case but forgetting him wasn't easier. Even though she consciously ignored him, a small part of life would be attached to him. Her relatives might question her, the business people might gossip. Ankitha feared that she would stop going out and meet new people.
"Why aren't you saying anything?" Madhu pressed her point. Ankitha shrugged, "Do whatever you want to."
"Hmm, better than being a doormat," Madhu pursed her lips taut.
"Actually... he is ashamed of his words yesterday," Ankitha let the words she held for an hour. Madhu frowned, "What?"
"I fought with him over what we eavesdropped and he was embarrassed to have spoken like that," Ankitha added. Madhu laughed sarcastically, "I know that you have a soft corner for him and I don't demand the reason. Just have a thought that I have been hurting myself by living with him."
Ankitha agreed with her friend and sighed, "Even I said that you should leave him. I was sharing the things I knew."
"That doesn't change my decision," Madhu said with a voice of finality.