Milk And Cardamom | S. Brown ✔

By ZeninaD

~ Coffee And Liquor Series: Book 4 ~ "Even though missing you is a bit bittersweet, I like having you on my m... More

Preface
[00]
[01]
[02]
[03]
[04]
[05]
[06]
[07]
[08]
[09]
[10]
[11]
[12]
[13]
[14]
[15]
[16]
[17]
[18]
[19]
[20]
[21]
[22]
[23]
[24]
[25]
[26]
[27]
[28]
[29]
[30]
[31]
[32]
[33]
[35]
[36]
[37]
[38]
[39]
[40]
[41]
[42]
[43]
[44]
[45]
[46]
[47]
[48]
[49]
[50]
[51]
[52]
[53]
[54]
[55]
[56]
[57]
[58]
[59]
[60]
Acknowledgements

[34]

59 11 3
By ZeninaD

Stephanie stepped out into the shop area, her green eyes searching for Luke. She was surprised not to see him there because usually it was very easy to spot him as he was taller than most people. But as she walked out, she spotted him bent on one knee, tying up the shoe laces of a four year old boy.

A small smile flickered on his face as the kid thanked him then waved before stepping out with his mother. Luke stood up and turned, hazel eyes lighting up on seeing Stephanie.

"I see now why you're so popular here with all the kids," she remarked, approaching him at last.

"Oh come on," he chuckled lightly, freezing a bit when her hand gently rested on his arm because he wasn't expecting that but the smile returned on his face shortly after, "uh... So what are our plans for today?"

"We've done Aparo park," she thought before listing the places, "you already took pictures from Gotham Tower and West End, we also went to Central Gotham and I guess we could rule out East End because most of the places were damaged in the fire last week."

"Yeah."

"So what's left?"

"Robinson Square," he replied, "I had thought of keeping it in the end."

"Why though?" She collected the tray containing a cup of milk and another of cold coffee from the counter, taking Luke to the corner table.

"Because it's a very crowdy place and I didn't want to go there earlier."

"And what changed now?" Green eyes sparkled slightly as she asked, her hand gently entwining through his.

Luke squeezed her hand in his lightly, "now I'm not going alone."

She laughed at that and he looked mesmerized for a second before his smile widened. "Do you know, Luke, I love your smile."

A faint pink dashed on his face, "thanks, I guess?"

She laughed watching the shade deepen. "Why do you get so flustered when you're given compliments?"

"I... Don't know..." He paused, "I just... I feel I don't deserve it."

Her eyes flickered in surprise, "why?"

The smile faded from his face, replaced by a slightly pensive look, "I don't know."

An uncomfortable silence engulfed the two until Steph spoke up, "anyhow, when shall we leave?"

"Whenever you're free."

"Right I'll be back in a moment," she smiled softly, disappearing into the kitchen.

Luke looked down at his hand that she had held seconds earlier, his thoughts drifting to a different track.

He had always thought himself unworthy of a lot of things in life but when he was with Steph, everything felt different.

She made him feel as if he was worth the care and love he received and that truly was a big deal for him because before her coming into his life, he had always thought the complete opposite.

Even though ten years had lapsed since the dreadful times he had spent with his father, there was still a lingering fear that he didn't deserve to be happy and it would all end very soon.

And then recalling the night he had met Deathstroke, he felt that fear deepen.

She returned with her small bag slung over her shoulder containing her camera, shaking him out of his thoughts.

"Shall we?"

"Sure," he followed her out of the shop, gradually easing as she didn't bring up that topic again.

They went to Robinson Square which was one of the most crowded places in Gotham. It was the main shopping square with dozens of outlets and was quite a favorite spot for shopaholics. But another special aspect about it was the street food as there were numerous food stalls containing an assortment of different cuisines.

Steph was the one who insisted on getting cotton candy upon reaching there and while she was eating it, Luke snapped a picture of her from her instant camera.

The Polaroid developed shortly after and Steph squealed soon as she saw it, "why didn't you tell me I had cotton candy on my nose?"

"You looked cute, that's why," he wiped off the sugary substance from her nose and the beautiful smile on her face widened.

However, he had pulled back immediately afterwards, hands in his pockets and hazel eyes looking ahead.

She knew he got flustered easily so she spoke up, "how about we check that record store? And there's a bookshop right beside it."

The two made a short your of the square but as time passed, he felt slightly uncomfortable, as if someone was continuously keeping watch on them.

Steph was about to step into another shop but he stopped her, his hand closing lightly onto her wrist, "Steph..."

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry but... Can we go back?"

Her eyes widened in surprise, "why? What happened?"

"I... I don't want to stay here anymore," he replied, "it's... Suffocating."

She didn't object at that, her hand entwining through his as the two walked away from the crowded square into the open. But even then, he couldn't shake off that uneasy feeling of being spied upon.

He didn't tell Steph because he didn't want to sound like a superstitious idiot but deep down he knew his instinctive feeling was not wrong.

Someone was definitely spying on them.

They reached the bus stop when Steph asked, "are you okay now?"

He nodded, "I ruined our trip, I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's not like that," she added reassuringly, "we had a great time together."

The bus arrived and the two stepped in, Luke's frayed nerves relaxing as that feeling of being watched subsided at last.

Finally, he asked, "Steph, we were supposed to have dinner outside but I couldn't stay there. So would you mind if you come home and we could cook something together instead?"

Her smile lit up her face, "why would I mind such a great idea? Of course I'd love to do that. Provided that Aunt Cami doesn't mind."

"She won't mind, she's the best."

But Steph had judged that there was something bothering Luke which he hadn't told her though she didn't ask him straight out just then.

The walk to their annexe was short and he fetched the keys from his pocket, opening the door himself when no one answered to the doorbell.

"Looks like nobody's home," she remarked, watching him lock the door and switch on the lights.

"I had no idea Cami would be going somewhere too," he added honestly.

"It doesn't matter."

She followed him to the kitchen judging that he was finally back to normal even though he had immediately gotten tense at the square as if something had gone wrong with him but he couldn't tell her.

When he had taken out the required stuff and turned to face her, she gently placed her hands on his shoulders.

"You sure you're okay now?"

He took in a deep breath, relaxing as he heard the concern in her tone, "yeah, I'm okay."

"Did something happen?"

"No."

She felt him stiffen so she leaned closer, standing on her tiptoes as she kissed him lightly, "you sure?"

He sighed, "I felt suffocated. That's all. Crowds make me anxious."

Hazel eyes gazed in green and he bent down, kissing her again, letting himself melt in the moment.

When he pulled apart at last, he spoke, steering the topic away, "Steph, what would you like to eat?"

"Whatever is easiest to cook. I'm terrible when it comes to cooking."

Luke smiled, "good for you that I'm not. Back when Dora used to live with us, we used to cook together very often."

"That's cute," she remarked and saw that Luke had gotten down to work instantly, taking out a chopping hoard ams vegetables as well, "but that doesn't mean I'm letting you do everything on your own. Here, I'll cut these up."

"Be careful," he agreed, letting her take the chopper from him.

"As always," she pressed a soft kiss on his cheek and watched his smile widen.

But even then she couldn't shake off the feeling that he was still worried even though he was trying his best to conceal it. She decided to take his mind off it for as long as she was there with him. Because she loved seeing the smile on his face not the worried frown that had creased his features back when they were at Robinson Square.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 4.9K 54
~ Coffee And Liquor Series: Book 1 ~ "There's only one person in Gotham whose caffeine addiction is that bad. Of course, I know who you are." "And yo...
202K 7.9K 38
"Falling in love doesn't require seeing that person, To fall in love one only has to know the other's heart." [Jason Todd] [Started: 06/23/2020] [C...
29.4K 787 5
Jason hasn't spoken to his family in months, it takes a near death situation for him to realise that he should reconnect with them, especially his ol...
13.2K 618 40
"Right under the stars floating away, away, away, Just like how we are I want to stay, stay, stay." [Richard Grayson] [Started: 04/02/2023] Cover mad...