It May Rain

By chroniclesofmine

Life seems to be raining bad luck on lonely Mae these days - will eccentric Hugo become the much needed sunsh... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter Five

2 0 0
By chroniclesofmine

Another uneventful day, and another coffee needed to fuel me through it.

It's January 5th and I realise I haven't made any new year's resolutions, and if there's anyone who should, it's me; there's a lot I want to change about my life right now. First on the agenda is obviously getting a new job, second is to move house and preferably one with housemates who have similar interests, third is to make new friends.

The kettle clicks before I have a chance to mull over any other options. I pour the boiling liquid into the cup and watch the cheap coffee granules morph into a muddy drink. Screw it, the fourth resolution will be to treat myself to good coffee now and again, because putting up with this sludge everyday is getting me down.

So at lunchtime I decide to treat myself and walk to the local retail park where there's an upmarket coffee shop. The Christmas menu is still up and all the festive snacks immediately entice me, so before I know it I'm eyeing up the chocolate orange mince pies, which I've never heard of before but sound scrumptious.

"What can I get you, love?"

"I'll have a large flat white and one of the chocolate orange mince pies, please."

The barista goes off to make my drink and I go and wait at the end of the counter.

"Bold choice getting that mince pie. And probably not the right one," a man's voice comments.

"Excuse me?" I swivel around to see what kind of person thinks it's ok to make passing comments on a complete stranger's order.

"What...What are you doing here, Hugo?"

"Well, like most people I frequent coffee shops to get coffee," he smiles mischievously.

I roll my eyes, remembering how much he loves to use sarcasm.

"That's not what I meant."

"I know, I'm just messing with you. I'm spending the afternoon at your office and I just came to grab a coffee and a bite for lunch."

"Why are you working from our office when you're based in the west London office?" I ask with a confused look on my face.

"I got summoned here by your boss. Apparently your operations manager is out on sick leave, something to do with a broken arm? So they sent me over to help out with anything that needs seeing to in person. The rest can be covered remotely by head office."

"Oh I see. We weren't told you were coming over."

I'd honestly forgotten all about him, and could have quite happily never have come face to face with him ever again. I'm not sure how I feel about his reappearance, but I know I'm not exactly jumping for joy over it.

"Why, if you'd known I was coming, would you have gotten me one of those atrocious mince pies too?" he teases.

My eyebrows furrow themselves at his overly forward opinions. "What have you got against mince pies?"

"I've got nothing against them. In fact I love them, but mixing chocolate, orange and mincemeat sounds like a recipe for disaster. I thought you had better taste than that."

"Maybe you don't know me that well, then," I scowl.

***

Ever since Hugo entered the office it's like a switch has been flicked.

Jacko seems elated to have another minion to do his dirty work, and of course someone to fill Susan's operations-shaped hole. Chantelle seems to have applied a third coat of mascara and has been sneaking in flirtatious glances at him when she thinks no one else is looking. Greg and Jeremy have been going over constantly to check he's got everything he needs, and they've already initiated him into their mid-afternoon coffee break.

I meanwhile have been busy plugging in my headphones and trying my best to not acknowledge his presence. I don't dislike him, but at the same time him being here makes no difference to my day. I'm not fawning over him like Chantelle apparently is, and I'm sure he's got enough help settling in from Greg and Jeremy.

The clock finally hits five o'clock and like usual I'm packed and ready to leave less than a minute later. I hastily wrap my scarf around my neck, and as I do Hugo comes over to me.

"Hey, we're all going for after work drinks. Do you fancy coming?"

After work drinks with this lot usually involves complaints about their better halves or kids or financial strains, and somehow always ends up on the topic of politics.

"I can't really do tonight."

"Oh go on, Mae. Come for one?"

"Yeah, come for one hun. It'll be a laugh," Chantelle chimes in with a jubilant smile, her blonde hair styled to perfection and her pouty lips coated with a fresh application of lipstick.

Not once have I ever seen her go for after work drinks in the entire month she's been with us, and it's not through lack of invitation. The only variable that has changed in the equation tonight is the addition of Hugo.

"You're going too, Chantelle?"

"Yep. That's why I said it would be laugh, because I'm going," she giggles hysterically.

"I don't know..." I slowly murmur as I try to come up with a polite excuse. "To be honest I don't have much in the bank at the moment, Christmas wiped me out. I don't think I can really afford to go out this month."

"I'll buy you a drink, hun. Don't worry about it," she smiles sweetly, linking her arm in mine and directing me out the door. Once we're out of earshot of the others she whispers something in my ear. "Thanks for coming, hun. Hugo said he'd only come for drinks if we all went together."

Before I have time to process what on earth is going on, we're already out of the building and well on our way to the local pub. I've got no idea what Chantelle's type is, but surely it's not Hugo? If I had to guess I'd put her with someone like her: self-centred and incredibly vain. Not that I know Hugo that well, but I know he is nothing like her. For the entire walk she talks non-stop about herself, which in hindsight I should have predicted.

When we arrive at the pub Chantelle still has her arm linked with mine whilst we order our drinks, but quickly unlinks when it comes to choosing seats. She nose dives for the seat next to Hugo, leaving me next to Greg. At least my ears will get a rest from her relentless talk about her Christmas getaway to Val Thorens.

We all settle down with our drinks, however Chantelle and Hugo seem to be in deep conversation about their respective gap years. Jeremy and Greg quickly move onto the subject of their respective families, the Christmas presents they bought their kids, how much the presents cost. And then the conversation moves onto dreaded politics.

"Can you believe the new bill they're going to pass this month? It'll make exporting products ten times harder," Jeremey vents.

"And not to mention the added paperwork! That bill should never have got approved - mark my words, it'll be more trouble than it's worth."

"I tell you, it's making me seriously reconsider how I'll vote when the next general election comes around."

"What about you, Mae? Do you think you'll still vote for our current prime minister?"

"I um...I've never actually voted."

"Crikey! How old are you, again?" Greg wheezes.

"I'm twenty two, but the last time we had a general election I was busy."

Busy getting drunk.

"What about you two?" Greg notions to Hugo and Chantelle. "Have you two ever voted in a general election?"

They both look up from their discussion on the best apres ski resorts to go this time of year, and it takes them a few seconds to notice the question being directed towards them.

"Um, yeah, I've voted before. The last one was about three years ago, wasn't it? Beautiful summer's day it was if I remember correctly," Hugo replies.

Chantelle pulls a face. "Voting is just a waste of time, and I have better things to do with my time. Whoever wins, wins," she shrugs.

"Ah, we're surrounded by a bunch of youngsters. I'd be embarrassed to reveal how many elections I've voted in," Jeremey laughs.

Chantelle gives Hugo a quick sideways glance, before speaking. "Listen, I'm so sorry you guys, but I'm not feeling very well. Hugo has very kindly offered to drive me home because we live near each other, so we're going to get off now."

Hugo shoots her a startled look. "I thought you said you wanted to stay a bit longer to see if you feel better?"

"Yeah, but you know, my head is spinning so badly I don't think I can stay here much longer."

She dramatically wipes the back of her hand against her forehead and closes her eyes. From where I'm sitting, she looks absolutely fine and as annoying as ever.

"Look maybe we should stay a little bit longer? We've not even finished our first drink yet. Maybe we can-"

"No, no no, Hugo. I'm really not feeling well, I need to leave right now," she whines as she kneads his forearm like dough. "You don't mind, do you?"

"Um, no, I don't mind at all," he stutters, then gives her a pathetic half smile. "Um, look guys, it was really nice meeting you all, and really sorry to have to cut these drinks short," he says to the table, standing up to shake everyone's hands.

"Don't worry about it," Greg nods curtly.

"We'll have to make up for it next time you're in," Jeremy adds.

"Yes, most definitely! I'll see you all back in the office," he waves.

Chantelle links her arm with Hugo's and they totter to the exit together. They look incredibly friendly with each other and Chantelle's giggling only becomes inaudible once the two of them have disappeared out of view.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

232 4 20
For years, Rory and her father were inseparable, but after his death, her world came crashing down. Trapped in her hometown, she felt lost in a sea o...
1.2K 156 12
"Like rain, I fell for you." In which a man who has waited for a woman on a rainy night finds love in a woman on a rainy night. [[when it rains, it s...
461 49 15
Rain is a lost girl that's looking to find herself.One day,turns her whole world around.She will have to go through hell and back and fight to stay a...
18.8K 840 18
(STERLING SERIES #2 - A Standalone novel) Raina Hart disappears right after talking to Rain Sterling, the guy she met at Daphne and Vincent Sterling'...