Chess Pieces Aftermath: Luciu...

By HiroYuu101

Aius The angel who's still in rebellion This story is the last installment of Chess Pieces and Chess Pieces A... More

Aius
Synopsis
First Letter
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Second Letter
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Third Letter
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue
Before the Coffee gets cold

Chapter 16

19.2K 1.2K 710
By HiroYuu101

Ada said that the owner considered hiring a guard but it has been over a month since she said that but the guard was nowhere to be seen. It was either the owner was lying or Ada was lying to keep me from bringing up that topic again.

But I don't think that Ada lied to me as I saw the truth in her eyes when she told me about it. I don't even think that she'll lie to me. So, I just assumed that it was the owner who didn't tell the truth.

I just couldn't help but get irritated and worried at the thought that Ada had a night shift alone in that café. It was dangerous for a woman like her to be alone at that time. Ayos lang sana kung may kasama s'ya, at least a guy, as there was someone who could protect her if a robbery broke in.

Why the hell did she even have a night shift? I don't think they even have rotating shift dahil sa ganoong oras ko lagi naaabutan si Ada sa café ever since the first time I went there. Ibig sabihin, matagal na ring ganoon ang shift n'ya.

The owner is fucking stupid to let Ada work at that time alone.

I was at the café again, watching Ada behind the counter as a customer tells her his order. She was all smiles while looking at him, repeating his order before she punched it into the machine. Halos gabi-gabi na akong pumupunta rito, watching over her as I was really worried something might happen.

Maybe... Maybe I was thinking about what happened with Angela. If I only get to properly watch her that time, to protect her, then maybe... we could've prevented what happened to her.

Am I being paranoid? Overprotective? Am I crossing the line here? Tama ba ang ginagawa kong 'to?

I groaned inwardly. Damn. If only the fucking owner would hire a guard, mapapatanag na sana ang loob ko.

Should I talk with the owner? O ako na lang kaya ang mag-hire ng guard para sa kanila?

"Okay ka lang?"

I looked at Ada. She was standing in front of me while holding that small tray, hugging it over her chest. I was sitting at my usual spot in the corner near the counter so I could always see her. It was almost midnight at that time and there were only two customers inside.

"Yeah, why?" I asked, looking up at her.

"Nakakunot kasi ang noo mo. Galit ka ba?"

"I'm pissed," pag-amin ko.

It was her turn to frown. Umupo pa s'ya sa harapan ko na para bang handang makinig sa problema ko. Like she always does.

"Bakit? Ano'ng problema?" she asked.

I stared at her. She was wearing her uniform. Her hair was in a bun, like usual. Sanay na akong makitang ganito ang ayos n'ya.

"Bakit hindi pa rin nagha-hire ng guard 'yung owner?" I asked. Hindi ko na naitago ang inis ko.

I saw her blink. Nagulat yata sa ipinakita kong inis. Maybe she was not used to seeing me pissed. I suddenly wondered what my image of her was inside her head. Like some grown-up and grieving man who is always in pain with the death of the love of his life?

Goddammit. That didn't sound cool. Maybe I should accept that I look lame in her eyes.

"Hindi ko alam," she said after a while. "Baka busy pa. O baka wala pang mahanap."

"That's bullshit. It has been over a month, Ada. Imposibleng wala pang nahahanap ang owner. There are so many agencies out there!"

"'Wag ka ngang magalit," mahinahong sabi n'ya sa kabila ng inis ko. "Okay nga lang kasi ako rito. Ilang taon na kong nagtatrabaho rito pero wala namang masamang nangyayari."

"So, you'll wait for something to happen before the goddamn owner hires a guard?"

Napangiwi s'ya sa pagmumura ko. I knew I was acting ridiculous. Or overprotective. But I think it is normal for an establishment to hire a guard for the safety of the business and its employees, right? Especially if it's open twenty-four fucking hours!

Ada mumbled something. I frowned. Hindi ko kasi narinig.

"What was that?" I asked.

She looked at me. Nakasimangot na s'ya.

"Mas lalo kang gumugwapo kapag galit ka at nag-aalala ang sabi ko!" she said and she looked pissed because of that.

I blinked. I didn't expect that. Heto at naiinis ako pero iyon talaga ang napansin n'ya?

I took a deep breath, fighting my smile. Damn it. Wala na. Nawala na agad ang inis ko.

"I think I need that tea," I said instead.

"Mamaya na. May mga customer pa," she said with a little pout.

She looked cute. I couldn't help my smile.

"Alright. I can wait."

"Ang dami mong oras, 'no? Gabi-gabi kang nandito. Wala ka bang trabaho?"

"Office hours are already over."

"Hindi uso sa 'yo ang overtime?"

I chuckled. She was sulking. I felt bad getting mad at her earlier when she didn't even do anything wrong. But she looked adorable like this.

"Nah... I'm an efficient man. I always finish all my work on time."

"Congratulations," sabi n'yang walang kahit anong reaction sa mukha. Natawa tuloy ako.

Ada remained sitting in front of me until the last customer went out. Wala naman kaming pinag-uusapan. I let her rest as she looked tired.

It was almost one in the morning when she stood up and started cleaning the messy table. Pinanood ko lang s'ya sa pagkilos dahil alam kong hindi n'ya naman ako hahayaang tulungan s'ya. I tried doing that and she ended up getting mad at me. So, like a behaving little boy, I just remained in my seat.

Nasa kalagitnaan s'ya ng paglilinis nang tumunog ang wind chime na nasa pinto, indicating that someone opened it. Sabay pa kaming napalingon ni Ada sa pintuan.

"Welcome, Sir!" Ada greeted them while I groaned out loud. Nagtatakang napatingin sa 'kin si Ada sa naging reaction ko pero nanatili akong nakatingin sa pumasok.

No. Scratched that. Sa mga pumasok.

"'Yo, King!" Creed greeted. He even waved a hand at me.

"What the fuck are you all doing here?" I asked, frowning so deeply. Halos magsalubong na ang mga kilay ko.

The whole gang was there. Even Helios and Luther.

Except for Gray.

"Manggugulo lang," Creed said before he looked at Ada who was just staring at them. "Pwedeng paglapitin ang mga table at upuan?"

"Ha?" She blinked. "Ah, opo. Pwede naman."

She was about to do it herself when Hunter stopped her.

"It's okay. Kami na ang gagawa," he said.

Like they own the place, they started moving the tables and placed them beside mine. Nagmukha tuloy isang mahabang table iyon. They all took their chairs and sat down.

I sighed helplessly. Looking at them like this, hindi ko tuloy maiwasang maalala kapag nagkakaroon kami ng meeting sa EL Ordre noon.

"Wala ka na kasing paramdam, Lucius," Creed started when they all settled in. "Dito ka lang pala nagtatago."

"I'm still working at the hotel every fucking day, man," I said, "But you all decided to corner me here instead."

They chuckled.

"Obviously, you're not at the hotel at this time," Death pointed out.

"How the hell did you know I was here?" I asked but then shook my head when I looked at Hunter and L. "Never mind."

I was even more surprised that L was here.

"Hindi ka na kasi nagcha-chat sa gc," Creed said. "Kahit sa pm ko hindi ka sumasagot."

"I don't think Lucius is the only one who's not answering your pm," L said.

Creed frowned at him.

"Wala naman laglagan! Porque marunong kang mang-hack, eh 'no?"

L just shrugged his shoulders at him.

"Grabe, umuulan ng mga gwapo."

We fell in silence and looked at Ada who mumbled that but because we all had trained hearing, narinig namin iyon. Ada yelped when she noticed we were all looking at her. Nakatayo s'ya sa gitna at mukhang hindi alam kung tatakbo palayo o magtatago sa ilalim ng lamesa.

I chuckled. She even looked adorable when she was panicking.

"I like her," Creed said.

"Gago. Lahat naman ng magsasabi sa 'yo ng gwapo, okay sa 'yong tangina ka," Kylo said.

"Gusto ko ng mga honest na tao," Creed corrected, chuckling.

I took a deep breath.

"Don't scare her, assholes. And stop looking at her."

This time, all heads turned to look at me. I didn't show any emotion but I suddenly wished I had my tea this time so I could have something to hide my face.

"We're not doing anything to her, Lucius," Loki said. He was sitting beside Ada, on her left.

I looked at him and almost cursed at myself. I saw something in his eyes and I knew he was having an idea in that smart brain of his.

Fucking damn it.

"May gagawin pa lang," Creed chuckled before he looked at Ada. "Hey... Halika. Upo ka." He even stood up and offered her his seat.

"Ha?" Nakita ko na nagsimulang mataranta si Ada. "Naku, hindi na. May gagawin pa 'ko."

"Saglit lang, promise! May ilan lang kaming itatanong sa 'yo."

Ada glanced at me. Mukhang nagpapatulong. But I could tell that Loki's eyes were still on me so I didn't say anything. I didn't want to do anything that would confirm whatever was inside of his head right now.

So, I just looked at Ada. Hinayaan ko s'yang magdesisyon. After all, I don't think she'll do something she didn't want. Ganoon ko s'ya nakilala.

I thought she was going to refuse. Pero nagulat ako nang lumapit s'ya at umupo sa inupuan ni Creed. Her seat was just beside mine. Napatitig ako sa kanya, hinahanapan ng kahit ano sa mukha n'ya na nagsasabing ayaw n'ya sa nangyayari ngayon. But I only saw curiosity in her eyes.

"Ano'ng pangalan mo?" Creed asked. Kumuha s'ya ng upuan at inilagay sa tabi ni Kylo.

"Adalina. Pero Ada na lang itawag n'yo sa 'kin." She looked shy but she managed to smile at them.

I noticed Creed glanced at me. Tiningnan ko lang s'ya pabalik pero muli s'yang tumingin kay Ada.

"Ilang taon ka na?" he asked her again.

"Twenty-six."

The fucker looked at me again. I frowned but he didn't say anything.

"Taga-saan ka? Ano'ng trabaho ng mga magulang mo?"

"The fuck, Creed!" I hissed. "Stop asking her questions!"

"Nagtatanong lang naman!" depensa pa ng gago.

"You're making her uncomfortable!"

"Ay, hindi, a?" Ada said. Ikinumpas pa ang mga kamay. "Okay lang. I'm not uncomfortable."

I looked at her.

"Are you sure?" I asked. She didn't look uncomfortable but I still want to make sure.

"Oo. Okay lang," she said.

"You don't have to answer their questions if you don't want to."

"Okay nga lang. Promise. Mga kaibigan mo naman sila."

I stared at her, finding something that would tell me she was lying. But she was beaming. Her eyes were even glowing. Wala akong nagawa kundi ang mapabuntong-hininga na lang.

I looked at my friends. I caught Loki's eyes and groaned inwardly when I saw one of his eyebrows raised at me. Hindi na lang ako nagsalita.

"I'm from Mandaluyong," Ada said. Napatingin kaming lahat sa kanya. "'Yung parents ko naman, namatay bata pa lang ako. Car accident."

I cursed inwardly when silence fell. Tangina. Sana hindi ko na sila hinayaang magtanong!

"May mga kapatid ka?" Hunter asked.

Ada shook her head.

"Nag-iisang anak lang ako."

"Sino'ng nag-alaga sa 'yo?" Kylo asked. I could tell that he was curious about her as well.

"Sina Lolo at Lola. Pero wala na rin sila. Namatay si Lolo... Mahigit sampung taon na rin? Twelve years? Thirteen years?" She shrugged. "Si Lola naman, sumunod kay Lolo five years ago."

Mas lalong natahimik ang table. I looked at Ada. She looked like she was used on telling these stories. O pinipilit n'ya lang ang sarili n'yang magmukhang sanay at parang wala na ang lahat sa kanya. But I could see a hint of sadness in her eyes that she was trying to hide.

And now I was feeling more frustrated. Damn it. And here I said I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable!

I saw Loki tap her twice on the back.

"You did well," he said.

Ada blushed so hard she couldn't hide the redness of her face. Yumuko pa s'ya pero kahit ang tenga n'ya ay mapupula. I heard some of my friends chuckle but I pursed my lips.

I wanted to be the one to tell her that. I wanted to be the one to comfort her. Just like what she did to me. I wanted to return the favor. But I just remained sitting in my seat like a fucking idiot who didn't know what to do.

"Mayayaman din kayo, 'no?" Ada asked. I could tell that she was trying to shift the topic to something else. Or maybe she wanted to divert their attention away from her blushing face.

"Sinabi ba ni Lucius 'yan?" Death asked but his eyes were focused on the coffee maker as if he wanted to make coffee.

Ada shook her head.

"Ah, hindi. Hula ko lang." Then she shook her head again. "Sigurado pala ako. Ang gugwapo n'yo kasi. Tapos halata sa porma n'yo na mayayaman kayo. Tapos ang gugwapo n'yo pa."

"Dalawang beses mong sinabing gwapo sila," I pointed out pero hindi ako pinansin ni Ada.

"Isang tingin pa lang sa inyo, halatang mayayaman na kayo," she said.

My goddamn friends were all smirking. Napailing na lang ako.

"Ano'ng meron sa inyo ni Lucius?" Creed asked all of a sudded.

I heard Ada make a small squeak. Mukhang nagulat sa naging tanong ni Creed. While I looked at the fucker and glared at him.

"The fuck are you talking about?" I asked with gritted teeth. Tinawanan lang ako ng gago.

"What? Madalas ka raw nandito. Mga four times a week."

Mas lalong kumunot ang noo ko.

"How the hell did you even know that?"

Hunter raised his hand slightly.

"Guilty," he said pero nakangisi naman.

Hindi makapaniwalang napatingin ako sa kanya.

"You tracked my location?"

"I'm sorry, man." Hunter looked apologetic. "We're just worried about you."

"Ang tahimik mo nga kasi nitong mga nakaraan. Wala kang paramdam," Creed said.

"We just want to check on you," Helios said. Sa wakas ay nagsalita rin.

I stared at them. I didn't say anything. I couldn't say anything after that.

I didn't know whether to feel touched or feel bad. My friends were worried about me. Na ilang araw, o linggo lang akong hindi magparamdam, they would immediately check on me. As if they didn't have any matter to worry about. As if they weren't busy.

I was touched, and thankful. I was grateful that I have friends like them.

But I also felt bad. I knew they were busy with their work and their families. And yet... and yet here they were.

I sighed.

"You really didn't have to," I said, feeling guilty. "I know you're all busy. You should've used this time to just spend with your families."

"Stupid. We need some time off too," L said. I stopped myself from feeling insulted dahil alam kong prangkang tao talaga 'tong tahimik na 'to.

"Even with your families?" I asked instead.

They chuckled.

"Ano ka ba, Lucius?" Creed said with a chuckle. "Normal lang ang ganito. Kaya nga may inuman na tinatawag. Saka tulog na rin naman sila."

"Hindi ako nakakaistorbo?" I asked.

"Hindi!"

"The fuck was that?"

"No!"

Sabay-sabay nilang sabi. Nagulat pa ako nang makisali si Ada.

"We just want to hang out with you again," Death said. Wala na ang atensyon sa coffee maker.

"Or know what's going on with your life," it was Helios.

"Hindi ka nga kasi nagpaparamdam," Creed said and I glared at the motherfucker. He said that three times already! As if I didn't know about that!

But then, I smiled. This time, I was genuinely touched without feeling bad. Nakita ko pa nga na natigilan ang mga kaibigan ko nang ngumiti ako sa kanila.

And I have to admit, I missed spending time with them as well. Simula kasi nang matapos ang laro, hindi na kami madalas na nagkikita-kita. Maybe they were all trying to make up for those times that the game robbed us. And maybe they were all trying to finally live a normal life.

"Wala kaming kahit na anong alcohol beverages sa menu," Ada said, "kaya coffee lang ang pwede kong ma-offer sa inyo."

Ada stood up, probably to make coffee for us. But I stopped her by holding her wrist. Tumayo na rin ako.

"Don't bother. Aalis na rin sila," I said.

They all groaned. Narinig ko ang kanya-kanya nilang reklamo. I couldn't help my chuckle.

"Aalis na kami?" Creed asked.

"Yes," mariin kong sabi.

"Pero ngayon na lang ulit tayo nagkita-kita," he whined.

And I knew why Creed was acting like that. Like what he said on the group chat last time, kami lang ang kaibigan n'ya. He didn't get to spend time like this before. He didn't get to make any friends because of the game. Because of what the gamemaster made him do.

Creed rarely had time like this. Kung hindi pa dahil sa game, hindi kami magsasama-sama noon.

I took a deep breath.

"We'll catch up again some other time. Over some drinks," I said. "I promise."

Nagkatinginan sila. Mukhang pinag-iisipan ang sinabi ko. I knew they were ready to hang out now but when they saw the seriousness on my face, they all nodded.

"Alright. Some other time then." Naunang tumayo si Death. Sumunod ang iba. Ibinalik nila sa ayos ang mga lamesa at upuan.

Isa-isa silang nagpaalam kay Ada. They all shook hands with her, also telling them their names as well. And I watched as Ada looked like she was about to pass out.

Nang si Helios na ang magpapakilala, he handed her his business card.

"I'm Helios Gallagher. I own the Gallagher Empire," he said. "If you want to work in the corporate world, just give me a call."

"Ay, 'wag ka d'yan, Ada!" Creed warned. "Bumubuga ng apoy 'yan."

"Why don't you work at Lucius' hotel instead?" Luther suggested.

Natigilan ako. Napaisip sa sinabi n'ya.

Why the fuck I haven't thought of that?

"Sige na, Lucius. We'll go now," Hunter said.

I just nodded. They all tapped my back before finally going out of the café. I watched them go inside their cars and drove away.

I looked at Ada. She was staring at Helios' business card with a smile on her face.

"Grabe... Hindi na lang ikaw ang kilala kong bilyonaryo," she said with all smiles.

I gave her a deadpan look.

"I'm glad it worked out for you."

Natawa si Ada. She probably heard the sarcasm in my voice.

"'To naman! Natutuwa lang ako. Nagselos ka nama d'yan agad."

I didn't say anything.

"Pero masaya 'kong may mga kaibigan kang katulad nila," she said. "Bukod sa halatang mayayaman sila, halata ko rin na mabubuti silang mga tao."

I smiled her.

"Yeah... I'm glad I have friends like them too."

She smiled back at me. Pinanood ko s'yang ibinulsa ang business card at pumunta na sa likod ng counter. Ilang sandali bago ko s'ya sinundan.

"Hey... What do you think about working at my hotel?" I carefully asked.

Mabilis s'yang napalingon sa 'kin.

"Ano?" There was a frown on her face.

"There's a coffee shop there. It's inside the hotel lobby so it's safe."

Nakita ko ang pag-aalinlangan sa mga mata n'ya. I took a deep breath, thinking of what I should say to convince her.

"Hindi ko alam..." she even said.

"Mas malaki ang sahod do'n."

"Bakit hindi mo sinabi agad?" she said, smiling widely at me that I blinked. "Ano-ano mga requirements? Kailan ako pwedeng magsimula?"

I chuckled. Napailing na lang ako.

"I'll give a head up first to the café manager. Then you can start anytime."

"Sige ba!" sabi n'yang ngiting-ngiti pa rin. Natawa na lang ako bago napailing.

Alright... Now, I didn't have to worry about her safety then.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

646 266 12
Despised, abused, maltreated, wronged, and unappreciated. That's how painful Lyrae's life is. She was judged, because of her past - she's been bullie...
27.9M 1M 62
(Game Series # 4) Charisse Faith Viste believes in working hard. She does not believe in luck, only hard work. Bata pa lang siya, nasanay na siya na...
1.1M 52.8K 27
Known for his short temper, Atty. Kylo Villaraza gets the biggest twist in his life as he unexpectedly falls for his secretary, Amara Jean Abella. Bu...
15.6M 543K 49
Archer The beast who's acting like a guardian angel.