The Royal Deal

By maimaxima

SYNOPSIS: It had been 11 years since I started living for others instead of myself. Just as I wanted to escap... More

Disclaimer
Prologue
Chapter 1 - A Life Without Purpose
Chapter 2 - Is This a Dream?
Chapter 3 - First Mistake
Chapter 4 - A Land Called Sehar
Chapter 5 - A Land Called Sehar (2)
Chapter 6 - A Doting Father (1)
Chapter 7 - A Doting Father (2)
Chapter 8 - The Bloody Duke (1)
Chapter 9 - The Bloody Duke (2)
Chapter 10 - Contract Marriage
Chapter 11 - Magical (1)
Chapter 12 - Magical (2)
Chapter 13 - Finding Lady Lohikin
Chapter 14 - An Honest Rejection
Chapter 15 - By Hook or by Crook (1)
Chapter 16 - By Hook or by Crook (2)
Chapter 17 - Her Demands (1)
Chapter 18 - Her Demands (2)
Chapter 19 - Love at First Sight (1)
Chapter 20 - Love at First Sight (2)
Chapter 21 - A Wife's Duty (1)
Chapter 22 - A Wife's Duty (2)
Chapter 23 - Never Too Late (1)
Chapter 24 - Never Too Late (2)
Chapter 25 - The Ever Understanding Butler (1)
Chapter 26 - The Ever Understanding Butler (2)
Chapter 27 - Cinderella (1)
Chapter 28 - Who Is the Idiot? (1)
Chapter 29 - Who Is the Idiot? (2)
Chapter 30 - Split in Half (1)
Chapter 31 - Split in Half (2)
Chapter 32 - The Big Day (1)
Chapter 33 - The Big Day (2)
Chapter 34 - A First (1)
Chapter 35 - A First (2)
Chapter 36 - An Unplanned Seduction (1)
Chapter 37 - An Unplanned Seduction (2)
Chapter 38 - The Noble Lady in a Simple Frock
Chapter 40 & 41 - Waste of Time
Chapter 42 & 43 - A Doting Husband
Chapter 44 - Taste of Home
Chapter 45 - Piglet In the House
Chapter 46 - Nocturnal Escapades
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50 - 60
Chapter 61 - 70
Ch. 71 - 75
Vol. 2 Chapter 76 - 80
Chapter 81 - 90
Chapter 91 - 110
Chapter 111 - 130
CXXXI - CXLIII
CXLIV - CL
CLI - CLX
CLXI - CLXX
CLXXI - CLXXX
CLXXXI - CXC
CXCI - CC
CCI - CCX
CCXI - CCXX
CCXXI - CCXXX
CCXXXI - CCXL
CCLI - CCLX
CCLXI - CCLXX
CCLXXI - CCLXXX
CCLXXXI - CCXC
CCXCI - CCC
CCCI - CCCX

CCLXI - CCL

153 5 0
By maimaxima

Like the breadcrumbs in a childhood story she remembered, Hansel and Gretel, she made sure to leave her traces. It wasn't long before she entered the grove with the fruit trees. Looking to her left, she could see the mansion where she had worked down below.

Wanting to be completed before dark, Amethyst approached the trees where she had seen the orange fruit. Seeing the fruit up close, she could tell that it was smaller than a child's fist and smelled like a tangerine. Though this was a different season than when the tangerines, that she knew, grew. The fruit certainly looked a lot like the ones she saw on a trip to Jeju island with her family, though smaller.

Just to be safe, Amethyst picked one of the orange fruits and peeled it. The texture inside was similar to the tangerines she was familiar with. There were many similar things in this world from her own, but they all had slight differences.

Before she tasted it, she squeezed a bit of juice on her finger and tasted it, as well as rubbing a bit on the inside of her elbow. She wanted to make sure that she had no adverse reactions to the juice. After waiting for ten minutes, nothing happened. That was a good sign.

Splitting the fruit in half, she put a small piece into her mouth. She'd wait to make sure that a larger quantity didn't contain any poison. If she vomited or had diarrhea then she would have to abandon this idea.

She sat under a tree and enjoyed the scenery. The sun had gone low in the sky and shadows were starting to creep in. In the mansion, lanterns were lit and flickered in the windows. She could see the workers heading indoors for the evening. She wondered if the ashen-haired slave was all right. She would ask Pauline, the next time she saw her.

After sitting for half an hour, she still had no reaction. It seemed that it was a simple tangerine, though it was probably called by a different name in this world. Amethyst wondered why no one else was harvesting this fruit.

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

The evening birds had started chirping and the shadows were growing. There wouldn't be much light left and Amethyst needed to hurry. She pulled out a sack she had packed and began picking the ripe fruits and putting them in. It was beginning to get harder to see the fruit in the trees, and as she was concentrating on her harvesting, Amethyst hadn't realized she had followed the grove deeper into the forest towards the mountain.

When her sack was full, she looked up and realized she had gotten turned around and didn't know where she was. I forgot to tie on ribbons in the grove, she thought as she began to panic. The sun was almost gone and soon it would be dark.

The slope of the hill should lead away from the mountain, she thought. However, the hill seemed to slope away in several directions from the place she stood. She started walking in what she thought was the right direction, but with the darkness creeping in she just felt like she was walking in circles.

She seemed like she had been walking forever. The heavy sack of fruit was hurting her shoulders, and her breath was weak at this higher elevation. She took a break for a moment, to stop her legs from shaking, but didn't dare rest for too long. The night was now complete and she was still lost. She didn't want to go deeper into the forest but didn't know what else to do.

If she waited until the morning, Pauline and Erina will notice that she wasn't at the café and start looking for her. Also, if she waited until the morning, she might be able to see the Veolense mansion in the daylight. Amethyst found a jumble of boulders that had a small space in the middle where she could rest and wait for day.

How do I always get myself into these situations? she thought. This seemed to be the story of her life and didn't look like it would change any time soon. She stood up and walked in a circle around the boulders. She had to keep moving. It was much colder near the mountain, especially at night, and if she fell asleep, she might freeze to death.

She took the water bottle out of her pack and took a sip to quench her burning throat. She didn't want to drink too much, just in case. As she raised the bottle to take another drink, she saw a flash of light through the trees. If there was light, there must be a person. Her heart jumped at the thought that she might be saved!

Amethyst quickly shoved the bottle back into her bag, hefted the sack full of fruit onto her shoulder, and started moving towards the light. It seemed like the light was just past the next tree, but when she reached the spot where she assumed it to be, it was still further on. It was almost as if the light was running away from her. Amethyst was scared that whoever was moving ahead of her might disappear, so she quickened her pace, following a strange light into the night.

Amethyst was almost running, but she seemed to be gaining on the light. She stopped suddenly, when the light ceased to continue moving. Just ahead there was a clearing, and the torch had been stuck into a holder fastened to a boulder. Next to it, in the rock face, was a metal gate. There didn't appear to be any people around, but as the light had been moving, they must have gone inside the cave guarded by the gate. Amethyst prepared to step out of the shadows and see who was in the cave. That was when he had to act.

Alexcent grabbed her from behind and slapped a hand across her mouth to stifle the scream she tried to make in fear. He pulled her back into the shadows. She struggled, trying to force her way out of his hold. He turned her around in his arms, so she could see him, and put a finger to her lips indicating for her to be quiet. It was good that she recognized him as the man she helped earlier. She relaxed and nodded in understanding to his motion for silence.

In the clearing, there was a creak as two men came out of the gated cave. They were dressed in armour and had swords hanging from their belts. Alexcent pulled Amethyst further into the darkness of the trees. They knelt in silence, listening to the exchange of the guards in front of them.

"Why does he want us to guard a place where not even wild animals dare to come?" the first guard asked.

"In case anything happens, I guess," the second guard answered.

"We haven't seen a single living thing since we've been here," the first guard continued. "Besides, it makes me nervous that the landlord told us to kill anyone who stumbles upon this cave. No matter who it is."

"I don't think we have a choice," the second guard said in disgust.

Amethyst tensed in Alexcent's arms. If he hadn't stopped her, she would be most likely dead now. Now all they had to do was wait until daybreak, when the guards should leave the area. As they huddled in the shadows, Alexcent breathed deeply the scent of Amethyst's hair. To think, after everything that had happened, that he would find her again.

Alexcent had finished his daily work, and had decided to wait until dark to find out what was really happening at the mines. There were so many workers being sent to the mines, but his duties kept him at the loading docks, so he hadn't been able to find out what was going on inside. And from the whisperings amongst the workers, he wasn't the only one who was questioning what was actually occurring.

All of the items that he had been shipping from the loading dock at the mines were expensive items, such as jewels, metals, and even magic stones. All of the mines in the Empire were the property of the empress. However, from what he remembered, this mine had neve been listed in the empire's assets. Nothing that he received, when he was Duke Skad, had ever come from this location. The only possible explanation, he could think of, was that this was a smuggling mine. He needed to know for sure, which is why he had been out in the woods tonight.

When he first realized he wasn't alone, and had seen Amethyst stumbling about the woods, he had been angry. Even small children knew that it was dangerous to be in a strange forest after dark. But why was she in this forest? She always ended up in dangerous situations. Perhaps it was the world trying to rectify the fact that she had cheated death and shouldn't have been here in the first place. But the irrational side of his brain continued to want to protect her. Despite all the reasons to the contrary, he couldn't let her die.

The two men in the clearing had continued their conversation.

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

"Have you ever killed someone before?" the first guard asked.

"No," the second guard answered. "What about you?"

"I haven't even been in a battle."

"Then it seems that you and I have a lot in common," the second guard stated.

"I'm scared," the first guard said, his voice shaking.

"Of what?"

"Of killing someone. I hope no one passes by."

"Very funny," the second guard didn't seem amused. "We're guards, so let's guard. Besides, no one will even come into these parts of the mountain, thank to the rumours of horrible creatures that have been spread. So, stop worrying, and keep your eyes open."

"Wait!" The first guard perked up.

"What?" the second guard asked.

"I saw a movement over there."

The second guard turned and looked at where his partner was pointing. They were squinting into the darkness directly towards where Amethyst and Alexcent were hiding. Alexcent could feel Amethyst shaking in terror.

"I'll go and check," the second guard said, and started approaching the spot that they couched in the shadows. Alexcent picked up a small rock from the ground and threw it hard into the trees on the other side of the clearing. The bouncing stone disturbed a group of birds that had been nesting in the bushes and they flew into the sky in a flurry of feathers.

The men turned to where the new sound came from. Drawing their swords, they headed to where the birds flew up. As the two men disappeared into the trees, Alexcent let Amethyst go from his hold, grabbed her hand and led her in the opposite direction from the guards.

They walked through the darkness of the forest, Alexcent leading her amongst the trees and bushes. He always had good night vision and was able to maneuver through the terrain. Amethyst simply followed along at his footsteps, keeping quiet in case the guards had seen them and were giving chase.

After walking for only half an hour, the trees gave way and they could see the Veolense mansion below. The lights from the mansion made the dark night seem like a bright afternoon. Amethyst stumbled with relief and Alexcent put an arm around her so she wouldn't fall to the ground.

"Thank you," Amethyst said, relief filling her voice.

Alexcent glared back at her in silence. Amethyst could tell that he was angry and shrank back from his stare. He wanted to punish her for the foolish thing she had done, but restrained himself, for he could see that she was already scared enough.

Instead, he asked, "What were you doing in the forest?"

Amethyst looked ashamed, as she heard him speak for the first time. "I was picking fruits."

"Fruits?" Alexcent noticed the sack of orange-coloured fruit she carried over her shoulder.

"It's fruit I like. I saw grove of trees in the forest the other day I was here."

"The wild lands in the Empire belong to the Empress. To take fruit from the grove is to steal from the Empress." Alexcent couldn't help still sounding like the duke.

"But the workers here pick mushrooms and wild plants all the time, so I thought it would be all right to pick fruits." Amethyst had a point. Why would Belice punish anyone for picking some wild plants at the edge of the kingdom?

"Wait. You said all the mountains belong to the Empress?" Amethyst had thought of something. "But those guards made it sound like the landlord is the owner of the mountain lands?"

Alexcent looked at her. She was correct. He needed to look into this more. But he also needed to keep Amethyst out of danger. He wouldn't be surprised if she tried to investigate this herself.

"Her Majesty probably allowed it. Anyways, it had nothing to do with you so leave it alone." He tried to sound forceful, so she would get the point.

"All right," Amethyst answered, getting the message.

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

Alexcent decided to get off this topic and reached for the sack of fruit that Amethyst was struggling to hold. "Let me help you."

"It's all right, I can carry it."

"Lead the way," Alexcent said, ignoring Amethysts words and taking the sack from her.

"Fine, just to the front of my shop." Amethyst's shoulders were hurting and he had volunteered so nicely. They walked side by side through the night to her café. Alexcent glanced at the sign with a smile. Café Carol.

Amethyst took back the sack of fruit and, beside her better judgement, decided to invite Alexcent in. "This is my place. Would you like to come in for a drink?"

"No, thank you. I've been away from the mansion for too long, so I need to return before they notice I'm missing."

"I understand. Thank you so much for helping me out of the forest. Please, come to the café when you have a chance. I'll cook you a delicious meal as my gratitude."

Alexcent nodded. "Just don't go near that mountain anymore," he warned her.

Amethyst smiled and nodded in farewell before heading into the café. Alexcent took a few minutes to observe the doorway she went through. When the second-floor light came on, he turned and headed back to the mansion. In his mind, he could still feel her hand in his.

Amethyst woke up, groggy and squinting in the sun that was streaming through the window. As had become her new routine, she went straight downstairs. Deactivating the security, she opened the front door of the café. Sitting on the stoop, the same as every morning since her adventures in the forest, was a small sack of tangerines. They had begun appearing mysteriously, but it was obvious who was doing it. The ashen-haired man. She never actually saw him, but who else could it be?

Amethyst smiled to herself as she brought the fruit inside. It was only a small bunch each day, but enough for her to enjoy some herself. She peeled one of the fruits and put a piece into her mouth. The fruit was juicy and sweet.

As she headed upstairs to get ready, the front door opened and Pauline entered.

"Carol! You didn't forget about me, did you?" Pauline asked, as she saw Amethyst heading for the stairs.

"Of course not!" Amethyst said, embracing her friend.

Pauline picked up the orders on her way to work, as she did today, but they were starting to become so large that Amethyst considered buying a carriage so she could make the deliveries personally. As she got the order ready, Amethyst decided next time to include some of her new tangerine juice as a sample. Maybe they would increase the orders. She handed the package to Pauline, who thanked her as she headed off to work.

"Your cold and delicious drinks are here!" Amethyst announced as she pulled up to the Veolense mansion in her newly purchased delivery carriage. The maids quickly lined up to get a bottle.

"Thank goodness! It's so hot!" One of the maids exclaimed.

"I know!" Amethyst called back, "The weather is getting hotter lately." Amethyst couldn't hand out the juice fast enough to the sweating maids. She made sure to also include bottles of her new tangerine juice as well.

"What is this?" the head maid asked. "I didn't order this."

"It's a new flavour. I want you to try it. It's free, so don't worry." Amethyst hoped they liked it.

The head maid opened the bottle of tangerine juice and took a big gulp. Her face didn't express her opinion, as she considered the taste.

"How is it?" Amethyst asked, worried that it wasn't good.

"What is this made from?" the head maid asked.

"It's tangerine juice. It has a lot of vitamin C so it's good for stamina recovery."

"Vitamin C? What is that? Is it something you eat?"

Amethyst kept forgetting that there were some things the people of this world did not know about. "It's good for your body, that's all. Does it taste strange?"

"No! It's very good!" the head maid exclaimed, smiling. "Are you sure you want to give this to us free of charge?"

"I'm glad you like it. Of course, it's free. This time." Amethyst winked. "Just let me know how you like the taste."

Once the maids heard that the new flavour was free, they started to all call for one. Amethyst quickly ran out of the tangerine, not having brought enough for everyone.

"I'm sorry," Amethyst announced. "I wasn't sure how you'd like it, so I didn't bring enough for everyone. I'll bring more next time!"

"Is today the day the workers come down from the mountain?" Amethyst asked the head maid.

"Yes. They should be here soon.," the head maid answered.

It was only moments after that the carriage transporting the workers pulled into the mansion grounds. The maids ran over to the carriage to collect the workers soiled clothing so they could finish their day's work and rest. Amethyst cleaned up the empty bottles left behind, happy for her success. Taking a full bottle of tangerine juice that she had held back; she made her way to the lake where the workers were cleaning the dirt off their skin.

The ashen-haired man was on one side of the lake by himself. As a slave, he was usually segregated from the rest of the crew. Amethyst walked up to him. "Hi," she said shyly.

Alexcent wiped the water from his face, with his sleeve, and stood up to greet her. "Hello," he acknowledged back.

"This is for you." Amethyst handed him the bottle of tangerine juice that she had saved. The man just stood silently, staring at the bottle. "Hurry! Take it! Before I get in trouble for sneaking items to a slave." She thrust the bottle into his hand.

"This is to say thank you," Amethyst explained. "This is made from the fruits you leave me every morning. I wanted you to taste what I did with them. It's healthy, so drink up before anyone sees it. They don't give you enough food, so you could use it."

Alexcent opened the bottle and drank it all at once. Amethyst watched his Adam's apple bob up and down as he swallowed.

"How is it?" she asked.

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

"I can see why you like that fruit. Thank you."

"Not a problem. I'm more thankful for your help."

"Please, don't concern yourself with someone like me."

"Why?" Amethyst asked, but he didn't answer. "Do you feel uncomfortable when I pay attention to you?"

"No. It's not that. It's just... Nothing good can come by being involved with a slave like me."

"What does that have to do with this?" Amethyst asked.

"You must have heard the rumours? What happens to people who get involved with slaves?"

"I don't believe in rumours."

"But nothing bad will come with being careful," Alexcent stated. He needed to keep her at a distance from him.

"You remind me of my younger brother" Amethyst said. "I fell like I should look out for you."

"Even so, leave me be. It's for the best." Alexcent walked away from Amethyst. He didn't seem pleased that she had compared him to her younger brother. She wondered at what made him so angry as she watched him leave.

The interest amongst the Veolense maids for slave 24885 was growing steadily.

"Did you see him today?" a maid asked

"Yes! Today the workers came back to the mansion! He's so good-looking!" another maid answered.

"Right? If he wasn't a slave..." The first maid did not have time to finish that thought, as someone approached them from behind.

"What are you talking about?" the newcomer asked.

"Miss!" The maids jumped in surprise, then instantly bowed when they realized who had come up behind them.

"I asked what you were talking about? I demand that you answer me!" Viyan, the daughter of the Veolense family was a stern woman.

"The new slave that started working at the mansion," the maids answered meekly.

"I see." Viyan instructed all of the maids to leave her chamber, as she thought about this new slave.

"Hey, 24885!"

Alexcent lifted his head to see who was calling him. A maid approached from across the yard. She handed him a stack of clean clothing.

"Put this on, then come with me," she instructed.

Alexcent took the clothes given to him by the maid and looked at her questionably. The clothes appeared to be high quality and fairly fancy, especially compared to what he currently wore.

"Hurry! We don't have much time," the maid insisted.

"Of course." Alexcent went into his lodging to change into the clothes, then returned to follow the maid into the mansion. It was the first time that Alexcent had been permitted into the mansion but, as he didn't know why, he kept his eyes straight forward, rather than taking in his surroundings. Besides, he grew up in nobility. One mansion looked just like another.

They reached a closed door and the maid instructed him to wait. She approached the door and knocked loudly.

"Come in." The feminine voice called from inside.

The maid opened the door and indicated for Alexcent to enter. "Go in. Don't speak unless spoken to and only answer to what you are asked."

Alexcent walked into the room. It was a lavishly decorated room, clearly designed for the rich. On a luxurious red sofa with golden ornamentation sat a woman with long pink hair. She looked stubborn and irritated, but there was also a hint of curiosity in her eyes.

"You are the slave that has been assigned to our house?" she asked.

"Yes," Alexcent answered.

"You definitely are handsome, like they have all been saying." The woman had a wicked grin on her face. The maid beside Alexcent flinched slightly at Viyan's words.

"What is your name, slave?" Viyan asked.

"24885," Alexcent answered, making sure to only answer her direct questions.

"And where did you come from?"

Alexcent took a moment to answer. He didn't know her intentions and wasn't sure how much he wanted to reveal. He decided to be honest. "From Duke Roden's household," he finally answered.

"Duke Roden's. I see. Thank you, you may leave now." Viyan dismissed him as if this entire encounter was pointless.

Alexcent turned and left the bedroom, as the maid beside him let out a sigh of relief. As he waited in the hall, he could hear the woman and the maid discussing him.

"I like him," Viyan stated.

"But, Miss!" The maid sounded shocked. "He's a slave! This time, the master really won't stand for it!"

"Oh, has father ever been angry with me? Don't worry. I just have to speak sweetly and bat my puppy dog eyes at him if he gives me lip."

"Miss...." The maid was insistent that Viyan not continue with this thought.

Viyan laughed. "All I have to say is that the slave tried to get with me. Understand? So, I have no worries about if I get caught."

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

"The slave has shown no interest in any of the maids, even though some have tried to tempt him. His face is like stone. What makes you think you will be different?" the maid asked.

"Really?" Viyan seemed intrigued. "A challenge. I like him even more! Tell me, has there ever been a man who hasn't been charmed by my looks? Do you seriously think that I can be compared to the maids? It might actually be easier since he's a slave. That will be the fun of it."

"Easier because he's a slave?" the maid questioned.

"Slaves are easier to manipulate. If I treat him well, better than he's been treated since he arrived here, he will be so charmed that he will be willing to give me anything that I ask."

"I see." The maid couldn't argue with the facts.

It was in the morning when the manipulations began. It started with Viyan summoning him to attend her in her bedroom, instead of the proper etiquette of only allowing him into her meeting room.

"I'm thirsty." Viyan said, as she lounged in her bed. She placed a hand nonchalantly on Alexcent's waist. Alexcent sighed, ignoring her hand, and poured a glass of water which he handed to her.

Viyan drank the water and spilled some down the front of her on purpose. "Oh no, I spilled," she said, trying to sound surprised but not doing a good job with it. Alexcent took a handkerchief from the table and dabbed it on the moistened bed sheets. Viyan looked pleased and went back to reading her book.

Her eyes followed the letters on the page, without actually reading them. After a few minutes of the act, she put the book down, pulled back the sheets and stretched her legs. "I can't focus on the book because my legs hurt," she whined.

Viyan lifted the hem of her nightgown slightly. Alexcent stood still, ignoring the actions of the woman next to him.

Viyan nudged Alexcent, but he didn't move and just continued staring forward. "What are you doing? I said my legs hurt."

Alexcent turned towards her. Viyan lifted the hem of her dress a little more. Her silky legs had now been revealed up to her knees.

Alexcent looked Viyan in the eyes and simply said, "Stop."

"What?" Viyan was not expecting that reaction.

"I'm a slave. I know very well what happens if I touch someone of status."

Viyan now understood what the maids had meant when they said he looked at women like he was looking at a stone. She decided to reason with him. "I'm allowing it, so don't worry."

"I'm not all right with it," He answered.

Viyan lifted her dress more, in frustration. Now the inside of her thigh was completely showing. "Rub it now!" she demanded.

"I don't want to," He was unwavering.

Viyan was furious. "What? You don't want to?"

"Yes. Find someone else if you require this form of service."

Alexcent turned to leave. Viyan was shocked by his refusal, something she had never experienced before. It had been her experience that men were always smitten by her beauty and do whatever they could to simply touch her arm, not to mention the more intimate areas she was offering now.

She leapt to her feet. "Stop! How dare you! Come back here."

Nonetheless, Alexcent refused to react and continued for the door. She rushed in front of him, grabbing his arms. "How dare you ignore me!" she screamed in his face. "How dare you refuse your master's orders!"

"My master is the lord of this household, not you," Alexcent replied.

"So, you refuse to obey to me?"

"Yes. And please don't summon me any more to do your service."

"And now you dare to give me orders? My word is law here! You are bound to do what I tell you to do! Got it?!" She was starting to sound like a child throwing a temper tantrum, but she couldn't help it.

"Please stop," he said, removing her grasp from his arms. "This attitude is not becoming for a virtuous lady such as yourself."

"I told you to obey." Viyan knew she was behaving immature, but she couldn't believe that a slave would actually stand up to her. "There will be serious consequences If you step outside of this room."

Alexcent turned back to her, prepared to argue. Viyan smiled seductively at him. "That's better. Honestly, where else will you meet a pretty girl like me?"

"What part?" Alexcent asked.

"What do you mean?" Viyan had not expected such a strange question.

"I'm asking what part of you do you feel is pretty. It's not good to be consumed with pride. In my eyes, nothing I see is pretty." Alexcent had looked her up and down, shaking his head.

"What!? Most people couldn't even dream of being with someone like me."

"I don't know. I certainly wouldn't want to have that dream." Alexcent decided the only way he could get her off his back was to be ruthless.

"If you leave this room, I swear you will live to regret it," Viyan shouted, her face red with anger and embarrassment.

Despite the warning, Alexcent slammed the door behind him as he stormed from the room.

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

"Father!" Viyan called loudly as she opened Lord Veolense's study door.

The older man was busy checking the quality of the latest batch of jewels that had been mined. The sudden intrusion made him quickly return the jewels to a pouch and lock them into the drawer of his desk.

"What is it?" Lord Veolense asked, as he noticed his daughter's eyes on the verge of tears.

"Father, please kill me rather than have me live in this state of shame."

"What are you talking about!" Veolense had never heard his daughter talk like this before.

"I'd rather die than bring such shame to my family. Please, end it all now." Viyan was in hysterics.

"I asked you to explain this state that you are in," Veolense repeated.

"The slave, that came here a few weeks ago, he tried to rape me!"

"What?!" Veolense was on his feet in an instant. He didn't know how to react, as he could tell that his daughter's tears were fake. He knew she had a tendency to make playthings of the servants. Normally he would let it slide, but this was a slave they were talking about. That changed everything. If a rumour went around about a noble's daughter and a slave fooling around, it would cause not only shame on her, but on his entire family. He had to resolve it now.

"How dare he! Trying to ruin our family's name!" Veolense was furious.

It has always been said that taking on a slave can ruin a family. Every noble household was reluctant to take on a slave, and Veolense was no different. He had no intention of taking a slave to begin with, but it was hard to refuse anything from the high-ranking Roden family. This was why he had shoved the slave into the mines, instead of working in the mansion where he could be seen.

He didn't know when his daughter took an interest in the slave, but it was now time for that slave to disappear. It wouldn't be hard. No one would be surprised with a slave disappearing. So many of them ended up becoming God's Guardians very quickly. Many of them couldn't handle the shame of becoming a slave, since they were once nobles, and ended up taking their own lives. Even if they didn't, most died from the extreme labour and beating they were given.

"I will kill him right now!" Veolense stated with authority.

"Pardon?!" Viyan had not thought he would go to such extremes. She thought that the slave, at most, would get further beatings. She didn't want him killed. She started thinking of the past servants that she had taken as lovers. She had always assumed they had been kicked out but now, seeing her father's rage, she wondered if they had been killed as well

"How dare a slave try to rape my daughter," Veolense continued raving. "I will wash this shame off our family by making him a God's Guardian."

"Wait. I don't think..." Viyan tried to interject.

"No. Our family's reputation depends on this, like you said!" Veolense was insistent. He needed to solve the problem by eliminating the source. What if the slave somehow turned his daughter's heart and ran off with her? He couldn't even think about it.

Viyan was at a loss. It was too late to say that she had made the whole story up. She had to continue with the charade. Besides, the slave had refused her. No one refuses her. He should be dead. She did feel a twinge of disappointment though. The slave had been quite handsome, but there were plenty of handsome men in the world.

Veolense called for the head of the servants, who entered the chamber. "I need you to take hold of the slave, immediately."

Then, turning to Viyan, he said, "Don't worry about anything and go back to your room. I'll take care of everything."

"Yes, father," Viyan replied, bowing and leaving the study.

"Tell the men to beat that slave," Veolense said.

"Yes, my lord." The head of the servants had an idea of what caused his master's rage.

"Tell them to beat him to death." Veolense continued. "It seems he tried to put his hands on Viyan. I'm sure she influenced it, as she has before, but I don't know where this could go, so I'm putting a stop to the threat right now."

"I'll give them the order." The head said. This wasn't the first time he had been requested to do something like this.

"Make sure that no word of this leaves the household. I don't want any connection of the slave to Viyan. Understand?"

"Yes. I'll make sure that it is done." As the head went off to make the preparations, Veolense realized he would need to be making another donation to the temple. It was only a slave, however, so it shouldn't cost much.

The head of the servants took two large guards and went to find Alexcent, who was washing his face at the pond.

"Take him," the head instructed his men.

Alexcent was grabbed suddenly from behind. He had no idea why he was being dragged away. The men took him to the path the servants used to get back and forth from the mansion and their quarters. Then the beating began. It was much more intense than it had been in the past and soon Alexcent was curled on the ground in a fetal position, trying to protect any vulnerable areas of his anatomy.

"Stop! What are you doing?"

Alexcent could barely open his swollen eyes, but he could tell the owner of the voice. He knew that Amethyst was there. The head of the servants waved for his men to stop.

"Who are you?" he asked. "I haven't seen you around here before?"

"I run a café in the city. I came to make a delivery. Why are you beating this man so much!"

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

The head of the servants recognized her now. This woman was popular amongst the maids and was free to enter the grounds whenever she had business. However, this was something an outsider should have never see.

"This is no concern of yours," the head informed her. "If you're done with your deliveries, I insist that you leave. Now."

"But you can't beat him this much, even if he's a slave! It's not right!" Amethyst cried.

"We have every right. He's a thief."

"A thief?" Amethyst didn't believe it. Considering how he had been towards her, there was no way he was a thief.

"Yes. He stole a jewel from the mine."

"Even so, he might have been framed. How can you be sure?"

"It is not up to us to judge; we are simply following orders. Now, I'll only tell you one more time. Leave the premises immediately."

"Not at all! I wish to speak to the master!" Amethyst demanded.

The head of the servants nodded to the guards to physically remove Amethyst. As the two large men grabbed Amethyst's arms, Alexcent tried to stand up. The guards turned and forced him back to the ground with their clubs, beating him uncontrollably once again as Amethyst watched in horror.

"Stop! He might die!" Amethyst screamed, but the beatings didn't cease.

Alexcent began throwing up blood, as the clubs started causing internal injuries. Amethyst tried to shake off the guards grasp as she cried in frustration. She looked to the servants and maids who had gathered, hoping they would intervene, but they just shut their eyes and tried to block out the horror. It was apparent that the servants were used to seeing this type of punishment.

Amethyst, who couldn't bear it anymore, screamed the last option she had. "I'll buy the slave!"

"Stop!" The guards put down their clubs at the head's order. Alexcent lay on the ground unmoving. If he wasn't dead, he would be shortly without medical attention. "What do you mean, you'll buy the slave? He is under the control of the Empire. He's not an object that can be purchased."

"Then call the master. I'll make my offer to him personally. I'm certain he won't refuse." Amethyst certainly hoped that she was right.

The head of the servants considered what she said and seemed intrigued. "Wait here." He quickly retuned to the mansion to summon Veolense.

During the several minutes that she waited, Amethyst could see the slave's sides inflate with breath. At least he was still alive.

A man with thick brown hair and a huge gut approached from the mansion. He was dressed in rich fabrics and jewels. Amethyst assumed that it was Veolense.

"Are you the person who asked to buy the slave?" Veolense said, as he examined Amethyst. By the way he looked at her, Amethyst could tell that he knew she wasn't noble. She tried to hold herself with an air of authority so he wouldn't dismiss her outright. She nodded to the man before her.

Veolense laughed. "You should know that a slave can't be sold."

"Then don't sell him and give him to me," Amethyst said with confidence.

Veolense looked surprised at her words. "I'm sorry, but if I do that it would cause us more trouble than it is worth. If an auditor comes, I will have to explain why I gave away a slave that was assigned to us, and I am not prepared to deal with that."

Amethyst didn't believe him. This noble, who could have easily dismissed her, came to meet her personally, covered in jewels. It was obvious that it was money that drive this man and he was curious to what she had to offer.

"Everyone has a price. How much to let this slave come with me? I'm assuming that my money may change your mind." Amethyst could see the slight glimmer in the man's eyes.

Veolense's considered the slave lying motionless on the ground. The merchant-like tendencies started considering the value of the slave. He was going to have the man killed, which meant he would get nothing for him. But if he could make a slight profit and also get the man away from Viyan before she caused any further trouble, then selling him might just be an option. Also, by not killing him he would save the donation fee that he would have had to make to the temple. Going over all of the options, it only made sense to sell the slave for whatever money he could get. He decided to test the limits that Amethyst was willing to pay.

"Slaves are rather expensive. You wouldn't be able to afford him." Veolense said.

Amethyst smiled. She knew she had him. As soon as she had mentioned money, his whole attitude on the situation changed. However, she did not have a substantial amount of money left since it all had gone into her business. If she drained the remaining amount in her emergency fund, she would be in trouble financially. She was now at a loss at how to proceed, for it seemed Veolense was expecting a large amount for the slave. She couldn't offer too little, or Veolense would just laugh in her face and kill the slave in front of her.

As she considered what to offer, she observed how the jewels he was wearing were sparkling in the sunlight. The answer came to her. This was a man who operated in the jewel market. They were an important commodity to him. Amethyst reached up and undid her necklace. The pink diamond at the end of the chain glinted back in response to the gems adorning the man.

"Would this be enough?" Amethyst asked, handing Veolense the ring that hung on the necklace. Her heart cracked. This was the last memory she had of Alexcent, but this seemed to be the moment that she would need to let him go. He would have wanted her to help this man.

"Let me examine it. I'll need to check the purity of the gemstone."

Veolense held out his hand for the ring and Amethyst gave it to him reluctantly. He took out a loupe from his pocket, that was used when examining jewels, and lifted the ring to be magnified by the lens. Holding both up to the sunlight, Veolense squinted at the minute details of the gemstone. In an instant, a huge smile erupted from his lips.

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

"It's real! I haven't seen any jewel this rare before. The colour, transparency, cut, weight, nothing compares!" Veolense could confidently say that this jewel was more valuable than any of the jewels that ever had come out from the mine. Even if he sold every jewel he owned, he wouldn't be able to buy the ring. "Where did you get this?" he asked.

"Is that important?" Amethyst asked back.

"Yes. You could have stolen it. That would be a big problem for me."

Amethyst decided to be honest. "It was my wedding ring."

"Wedding ring? You would trade your wedding ring for a slave?" Veolense had never heard of such an action before.

"I'm divorced. There is no reason to hold on to it anymore." Amethyst said with a slight quiver in her voice.

Veolense thought over the situation. If this had been a wedding ring, then the woman was of higher rank than she appeared to be. Her family must have fallen hard if she was now a simple merchant. She may have been left with a collection of other jewels as payment to leave her noble husband's estate.

"Do you have any other jewels?" Veolense asked.

"I'm afraid not. I was only allowed this ring when I left the household." Amethyst was not about to tell him of her monetary savings. She could see that Veolense was disappointed, but this was the most she could do. "So, what will it be? Are you going to sell him, or not?"

Veloense thought about the offer. "Fine. It's a loss, but he's yours."

Amethyst could tell that he was lying, so decided to get one more thing out of this deal. "Fine. Since it's already a loss, I'll ask for one thing more. I need your men to help bear the slave to my café."

"Fine. All right." Veolense motioned to the two large guards who had been beating Alexcent. "Do as the lady asks."

"Yes, My Lord." The two men lifted Alexcent's battered body on to Amethyst's carriage, then got in beside him to return to the café and help get Alexcent into a bed.

Alexcent remained unconscious for five days. When he awoke, he was surprised to find himself lying in a comfortable bed. Bandages covered his wounds and a mug of liquid, containing what must be healing herbs, sat steaming on a table next to him.

Amethyst entered the room. "You're finally awake! I was thinking you might die."

She sat on the bed and felt his forehead. "Your fever seems to be down. The doctor said as long as you take your medicine, you should heal and recover with no issues. He said that your body was remarkably strong."

"Where am I?" Alexcent let out a painful moan as he tried to sit up.

"Don't move. The doctor said you shouldn't move too much. And you are in our home."

"Our home?" Alexcent's heart fluttered slightly. Was he actually dreaming?

"I bought you from Veolense, so now you are going to live with me. I hope that is all right with you?"

"What do you mean you bought me?"

"I'm your guardian now," Amethyst explained. "But don't think that I will treat you like a slave. I'll respect you and your wishes. I want you to live comfortably here."

"Why are you doing this for me?" Alexcent's heart was pounding. If she only knew who it truly was lying in her bed.

"That day I was lost in the woods, if it wasn't for you, I would've frozen to death in the mountains or been killed by those guards. Think of this as my gratitude and repayment for your kindness."

"It was a coincidence that I found you, so you don't...."

"What's your name?" Amethyst quickly changed the subject, seeing that he was about to refuse.

Alexcent stared at her. She hadn't changed a bit. She always had to have the last word. "It's 24885," he answered.

"24885?" Amethyst repeated. "That's not a name, that's a number."

"A slave's name is only a number."

"I see. Then I should give you a name," Amethyst announced, smiling.

"A name?"

"Yes. I can't call you 24885."

"I'm fine with it," Alexcent said. He couldn't reveal who he truly was. Not yet.

"Well, I'm not fine with it. What was your name before you became a slave?"

Alexcent shook his head.

"Then we'll have to think of a new one," Amethyst said, looking him over. "How about Gray?"

"Gray?" Alexcent wasn't sure about that choice.

"Your eyes are gray. Your hair is gray. I think Gray is fitting. My name is Carol."

"As you wish, master." Alexcent needed to play the part of a dutiful slave.

"Don't call me master?! It's Carol!"

"But you said you bought me. So, now you're master to me."

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

"No, never! I insist that you call me Carol."

"As you wish, master."

Amethyst glared at the man. This whole situation tickled the back of her mind, like some lost memory.

Alexcent's health recovered quickly, and soon he was on his feet. He woke up early every morning, quietly going downstairs. He would clean the entire café so that it would be ready for business when the doors opened. Everything was spotless by the time Amethyst woke and came downstairs to start the day.

"Did you sleep well?" Alexcent asked.

"I did," Amethyst answered, yawning and stretching out her body.

"Should I prepare lunch?"

"Sure." Amethyst sat at a table.

Alexcent went into the kitchen and put together a plate of bread, jam and a green salad with chunks of meat in it. Bringing it out, he set it down on the table in front of her. "Let's eat together."

"All right," Amethyst agreed, as he sat down across from her. They eagerly dived into the food. Amethyst's daily pattern had changed quite a bit since the man she knew as Gray had come. It started being a very comfortable life. He did all of the cleaning, cooking, dishes, and even the laundry.

"Today's weather looks like it will be very hot," Alexcent said, making awkward conversation.

"Really? Then I guess I should prepare plenty of cold drinks."

"Yes. But don't worry, I'll get them ready." He seemed to want to do everything on his own, and he usually did it well. There was only one problem with this new man in her life.

"Eat it all," Alexcent said, as Amethyst set down her fork.

"Thank you, I'm good. I'm already full."

"You only ate the meat again. You need to eat all of the vegetables as well."

"Nagging again! That's enough." Amethyst smiled, though she had been getting a little annoyed about his complaints on her eating habits.

"But you have to eat vegetables to..."

"It's fine. You can have the rest if you like." Amethyst quickly returned upstairs to avoid any more nagging.

Alexcent stared at her as she left, with a sly smile on his face. She hadn't changed a bit.

Like Alexcent had mentioned, the weather turned very hot. For once, her café was full of customers. Amethyst quickly took the orders of the three packed table, then smiled when Gray took out the food. I wish every day was like today, she thought.

It was strange, but as soon as Gray arrived, the customers had started flowing in. It got to the point of being so busy, she was unable to make deliveries. Gray never smiled at the customers and was all business when he cleaned away the empty dishes. Yet the customers all watched him intently. And Amethyst realized then, the customers have all been women.

As the customers started to thin out, Amethyst decided something. "Gray, we should close a little earlier today," she told the man.

"All right, will do." Alexcent locked the door behind the last customer, as they left. "Did we run out of food?" he asked, wondering why they were closing up.

"No, we have somewhere to go today."

"All right. I'll get the carriage ready," Alexcent said.

"Great. I'll go change and then we can leave."

When Amethyst came down from changing, Alexcent was standing in front of the carriage that she used for deliveries. He held out his hand, to assist Amethyst up into the driving seat, then went around to the other side and hoisted himself up.

Taking the reigns in hand, he asked "Where should we go?"

"Downtown. We' re going shopping today," Amethyst informed him.

Alexcent tensed up at that information. "I just remembered; I have something urgent to take care of. I'll call you a public carriage."

"Gray." Amethyst was used to Gray's aversion to shopping.

"Yes?" He answered sheepishly

"Let's go!"

Without another word, Alexcent began driving the carriage to the shopping district.

The place Amethyst directed them to was a tailor shop that catered to men only. It wasn't high-end clothing, but all the outfits were made-to-fit and of the latest styles.

"Welcome," the tailor greeted them with a smile as the entered. "What can I help you with?"

"I am looking to buy some clothes for my friend here," Amethyst said. "I'm thinking something that looks like a suit, but is comfortable enough to work in. Something clean but stylish."

"You have keen eyes. That is certainly the trend, nowadays. Please wait for a moment. I'll bring out a few samples. In the meantime, why don't you look around." The tailor disappeared into the back room and Amethyst started browsing the displays.

Alexcent whispered to Amethyst, so the tailor wouldn't overhear him. "Master, I don't need clothes."

Amethyst huffed in frustration. "I told you not to call me that! This is an investment!"

"Investment?"

"Yes. If you hadn't noticed, there have been more customers at the café since you arrived. Why do you think that is?"

"That's because mast... no, Carol's cooking is great?"

Amethyst laughed. "I appreciate the compliment, but no. They come to see you."

"Me?" Alexcent looked genuinely shocked.

"Yes! So, what should we do? Even though the reason is pure vanity, it has increased my sales. I need to invest in that." Amethyst smiled brightly, which made Alexcent nervous at what she intended.

"Sorry for the wait." The tailor appeared from the stock room with an armful of clothing.

"Can he try them on? I need to see how they look on him," Amethyst asked the tailor.

"Of course. The fitting room is right behind you."

"I'm fine. Really!" Alexcent protested.

Come and read on our website wuxia worldsite. Thanks

Amethyst ignored his pleas. "You heard him, right? Go!"

"Carol..."

Amethyst sat down on a sofa and crossed her arms with defiance. "I'll wait here."

Alexcent's deep sigh filled the store, but both Amethyst and the tailor just stared at him in expectation. With a huff of frustration, Alexcent picked up all of the clothes and entered the changing area.

As Amethyst waited for him to change and come out the tailor handed her a catalogue. "Would you like to look at this?" he asked. "If you place an order, we can deliver the items to you."

"That's wonderful. Thank you." Before Amethyst even had a chance to peruse the catalogue, Alexcent stepped out of the changing area in the first set of clothes.

Amethyst frowned at the shirt. "I don't like the ruffles. Next!"

Alexcent slumped his shoulders and went back in to change into the next outfit. The second set didn't have ruffles, but they did have ribbons on the sleeves. He couldn't wear that. The ribbons would dangle in the drinks as he served them.

"Next!" Amethyst announced.

Alexcent dropped his head this time. He continued changing and every outfit he displayed got a cry of 'Next!' from the single-person audience. It wasn't until the thirteenth outfit that Amethyst split a grin on her tired face.

"I like that! We'll go with that for now!" she cried happily.

"Wonderful," the tailor said, also clearly getting sleepy from waiting. He measured Alexcent's sizes and went into the stock room to get the proper fits. "Will that be everything?" he asked.

"Not quite," Amethyst replied.

"What?" Alexcent asked in surprise, his eyes widening.

"That's only one outfit. You still have plenty more to try on, right?" Amethyst smiled cruelly.

"Of course! He hasn't tried on even half of them," the tailor realized what was going on and decided to help with the game.

Alexcent's body was like a model. Each time he came out, wearing something new, the fit accentuated a different aspect of his body. Amethyst was really enjoying the show and actually agreed on several more outfits to add to the order. Amethyst was ecstatic about their trip and couldn't stop smiling as she placed the bags of clothing in the back of the carriage.

"Then shall we head home?" Alexcent asked.

"Not yet," Amethyst answered.

"Really? Didn't we buy enough clothes?" Alexcent asked with a moan.

"Yes, but we need something else. Maybe the most important thing. Dress shoes."

"I really don't need dress shoes." Alexcent was at the point of whining like a school boy.

"Nonsense. Don't you know that dress shoes complete the fashion?"

"I don't!"

Amethyst smirked at his temper tantrum. "Let's go," she said, then dragged him into the shoe store.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 6.2K 42
Valentina, a student at Heartfelt University, is assigned to the notoriously rude and cold Professor Montgomery. While the professor's harsh demeano...
260K 1.1K 31
Wild passion, dark fantasies, unleashing a beast called lust. Find out how the trajectory of Audrey's life changed when she met a very high profile...
950K 94.1K 63
3 lives got entangled due to the twisted Destiny...... Vidyut Rajvanshi married his college sweetheart Sanjana and was leading a happy life ......bot...
380K 21.8K 45
Warning ⚠️ Party တစ်ခုမှ ဆေးမိပြီး လူတစ်ယောက်နဲ့အိပ်ခဲ့မိတယ်။ အဲလူက ကျွန်တော့်အလုပ်ရှင်ဖြစ်နေတယ် ၊ ကံကောင်းတာတစ်ခုက သူက ကျွန်တော့်ကို မမှတ်မိဖူး ။ ...