Road to Anywhere

By wdhenning

A collection of short stories written for multi-genre smackdown contests. More

Eclipse of the Heart
Freesky
Understandin's
Quest of the One
Dust
The Huntress
Girl Who Run Fast
The Last Mission of Major Tom
The Portal
Skim Racer
Cyber Witch
The Geometry of Earth
Beauty Once Found
Hoot and the Dragon Quest
The One
Seed
The Lady and the Dragon
Of Wraithe and Lesbians
The Wolf's Perspective
Dreamweaver
Breakdown Vampire
How I Met My Villainess
Chosen

A Noble Quest

55 17 35
By wdhenning

Round 1.2 prompt from Multigenre Mashup Flash Fiction Smackdown, July 2023: Write a dabble (exactly one hundred words) that includes the word quest. Genre: Fantasy with humor.

Word count = 100

"Folly!" they had cried. "Madness!"

Even my betrothed tearfully begged me to reconsider.

But every knight needed a noble quest.

And so, atop my trusty steed, feather and gleaming blade at my side, I had scaled the craggy peaks to the caves of woe, where stiff winds blew cold and men feared to tread. But not I.

Feather in hand, I faced the foul beast within the deathly darkness — talon claws, razor teeth, and breath of fire. But now in defeat, I retreated, wounded and singed with only my life.

True was the wisdom of ancients: tickle not the dragon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 306 6
Science Fiction / Short Story : Evolution never stops, the races of man have changed, have fought bitter wars and built cities on the moon. But where...
1.9K 155 19
Short stories exploring uploaded consciousness, simulated realities, and other fantastical science fiction. Collection includes contest entries spann...
22.3K 2.2K 22
An anthology of sci-fi short stories for @ForbiddenPlanet's Sci-Fi SmackDown 8, exploring a number of themes ranging from Alien Invasion, AI, Coloniz...
166 11 50
A Collection Of Drabbles Or Short Stories Written By Me.