Drawing Blood

By 1sleepmutterer

In a world where blood is the cure for lycanthropy, a young woman finds herself in a nightmare she cannot esc... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Thirty-one

103 2 0
By 1sleepmutterer

When Annie re-joined us, I could see she was frustrated. It meant I was in for an uncomfortable few minutes.

"Tell me why you couldn't have dealt with that," she scolded Adam, slapping him on the arm. "You could have answered any one of those questions." When he feigned being hurt, she slapped him again. "Serves you right! You've been preoccupied, all morning!"

"Annie, you forget, I can hear everybody in this town," Adam reminded her, tactfully. "You tell me how to put a stop to that, and I'll do it."

I saw her frown, but that didn't stop the pair of them begin to have words with each other. I watched them, and I did so with some envy. Will and I never fought like that, I thought to myself; so clean and natural. When we fought he was dirty and childish, always making sure my feet were left bloodied and bruised by the eggshells he'd forced me to walk across. When that failed to work, the silent treatment was used until I waved a white flag in surrender. When these two sparred, it was different. It was like watching a piece of choreography, a hypnotic dance full of carefully constructed moves designed to allow each other the spotlight. Adam would say something, and Annie would follow that up with a retaliation of her own. While some of it could be tough to observe, what struck me the most was that Adam appeared comfortable being the subordinate to her bossiness. It was as though he was too confident in his own masculinity to fulfil the need to prove a point. He didn't need to sink to a level that was beneath him, in order to get his message across.

"Just because things are okay at the moment, that doesn't mean it's going to remain that way," I heard him explain. "Would you rather I relax and let the worst happen?"

"I'd rather you do you job," Annie said.

I remained silent. To be honest, I knew which view I preferred. It wasn't my place to say it, however. Even if Annie had a point - which she did - without Adam none of us would be free to go about our business in peace. I was certain they would resolve their conflict without my interference. In fact, I knew better than to get involved. The last time I had taken sides, I had ended up being cannon fodder. Annie had apologised, of course; and I had forgiven her. But I had learnt a very valuable lesson, that day. I would let that lesson come into play now. I would stay there and be quiet until they resolved this. I would let him continue to be sensible and protective, and let her continue to wrap him around her little finger until she won.

"I haven't seen Rose since we left Brighton," he was saying now. And it was then, I acknowledged they had moved beyond the original argument. "It's not like I can pop in and see her, is it? It's alright for you and Mitch - mum and dad like him. Not to mention, you live with him."

"Get your head back in the game," Annie fired at him. "You and Rose can always get a place of your own if it bothers you that much. But until that happens, you're on my time. I can't deal with all your brooding, and moodiness...."

"Me and Rose shacking up would go down well with Will, wouldn't it?" said Adam. "Can you imagine what he'll do to me? Have some consideration, will you."

"I'll be sure to play to play the violin." She hit him again when he tried to give me another kiss, and I winced; embarrassed for him. "Go and make yourself useful, for crying out loud!"

Ignoring his protests, she began pushing him down the aisle, ordering him to keep an eye out in case anybody we knew came in. It was the final nail in their conversation, and hers was the last word. When she came back to me, her charm had somehow made a reappearance. "I hope you know what you're letting yourself in for," she commented, throwing him a backwards glance. "You'll need to put a muzzle on him."

"I'm sure I can manage."

She shook her head, as though erasing what she had just seen, as though someone could dare challenge her authority like that; even if it was her own flesh and blood. "If it's not Chris stressing me out, its my own brother," she muttered. She paused, taking a deep breath. "Anyway," she carried on, and I could tell then, their spat was over. "Did I tell you where Mitch was taking me for our holiday?"

If I was being honest, I wouldn't have been able to remember my own name at that point.

"We're going to Paris."

"Paris?"

Animated all of a sudden, she took me by my arm, drawing me closer. "Don't say anything," she made me promise; and I was reminded of someone who had just been told a secret and was unable to keep it to themselves. I could only assume, whatever it was, had been eating away at her until this very moment. "But I think he's going to propose!" She squealed with delight when she saw my mouth fall open. It was clearly the response she had hoped for. "I know! I'm thrilled about it!"

I wanted to be sure she hadn't misread the situation. Even on a good day, she could get carried away. "Has...Mitch dropped any hints?"

"Not exactly," she said. "Although, I did think he was being a little secretive, the other week." Then, thinking about it some more, she added, "We're there for ten days, and one of those days is Valentine's day..."

Of course, she would think that, I told myself. Things like practicality and coincidences never meant anything to Annie. Even when we were younger, she'd been swept away by the idea of romance, and finding the 'one'. Maybe it had been a product of my upbringing, but my own idea of love had been more complicated, more realistic. It had probably never even occurred to her that Mitch may have booked it because it was last minute, and she really did need a break. All the pair of them needed to do was get a train from St Pancras to the Gare du Nord, and they could be there in four hours. No planes were needed. "Well, it does sound likely," I said in response. And it was with some awareness, that I realised I wanted her to be happy. I wanted Mitch to ask her to marry him.

She sighed. It was a wistful sigh, full of hope and longing. "Rose, I can't tell you how long I've waited for this to happen. Mitch is my soulmate."

Despite my reservations, I had to admit, the evidence was stacked in her favour. She and Mitch were suited to each other. He was clearly in love with her - as she was with him. And being the most romantic place in the entire world, along with the most romantic day on the calendar, anything was looking possible right now. "I take it you're going to accept it, then?"

She gaped at me like any other option would be ludicrous. "I'd be stupid not to!"

"Maybe he'll propose to you on the Eiffel Tower?" I spoke.

I'd had to say something to her, even though I knew she had already thought about it. Whilst she had been gushing over the possibility of a future proposal, I had heard the jangle of the bell above the store door go, and had seen Adam stride past us; his movements firm and purposeful. Immediately, I could tell something was off. His mouth, once soft and pliable across my own, was now thin and hard; his nostrils, white and pinched. I couldn't help wondering who had entered, and who had caused him to appear that way. It wasn't as though he'd motioned for us to stop talking or had tried to usher me out. For that reason alone, I suspected it wasn't someone who knew me, or Will for that matter. Perhaps, it was somebody he knew, somebody he didn't want close by.

To my complete lack of surprise, Annie was still speaking about the prospect of returning from her holiday with a fiancé in tow. "I've always wanted a spring wedding," she said. "Maybe April, or May...."

It was at that moment I dragged my gaze back to her. "It's a bit soon, isn't it?"

"Not this spring, dummy," she laughed. And I noted her green eyes were sparking, her cheeks pink with anticipation. "It'll have to be next spring, or the spring after. It doesn't matter, really."

"Oh?" I said.

"Autumn's quite nice though..."

"I like Autumn," I said.

"It'll have to be an ivory dress. You'll be the maid of honour, of course. We can go shopping together...."

Her enthusiasm should have been infectious. And looking back, I should have been a better friend. I should have paid her more attention. But I was somewhere else. I was on red alert. Whilst Annie was already stepping out of her wedding carriage, and was already walking down the aisle, into the arms of the man who would become her husband, my own mind had wandered and was now focused on what was taking place at the back of the store. Her voice, once prominent in both ears, had begun drifting in and out as though someone were fiddling with the speakers on a record player, adjusting the volume to find the right pitch. To my own shame, I was finding myself edging further and further away from her, drawn to the low growl in Adams throat.

"What do you want?" I heard him say.

The other man, and I knew it was a man then, as he had a deep voice, replied with something along the lines of, "You know why I'm here."

"You don't have to worry. I've got it under control."

It was at that moment Annie asked me a question, and I caught myself mumbling a response to her. "Oh, I know lilies aren't for weddings," she replied, "but they're so pretty...."

She faded out again, and I was careful not to be seen as I poked my head out from behind our hiding place. I could see Adam now, could see he was engaged in what appeared to be a tense exchange with another person. From where I stood, I was unable to see who it was exactly, as they had concealed themselves behind a row of shelves. But whoever it was, had obviously alarmed him. "I think it's best you leave," he was saying now, and I watched his hands move to his hips, squaring his shoulders with an air of authority. "I can assure you, she's safe. She doesn't need you coming around here to complicate things."

"Are you sure?" quizzed the mystery voice.

Annie, finally seeing I was distracted, stopped talking. She came and stood behind me, her hands heavy on my shoulders while she used them for support. She tiptoed to see what had taken my attention away from her. I grabbed the edge of the shelves myself, in a bid not to topple over. "Who's he talking to?" she whispered, observing for herself what I had already noticed moments before.

"I don't know."

It was true. I didn't know. But someone had caused Adam's hackles to rise. Someone had clearly entered into his dark territory without even considering the repercussions. When she asked me whether I thought it might be Chris, I replied, "Would he do that?"

"He might if he didn't realise Adam was here."

She released me then, and I watched her walk confidently towards her brother. It was hard to imagine they had been at each others throats, just minutes before. I got the impression she was ready to do battle, to stand side by side with him should he need her. I wanted to stop her, but my voice had jammed in my throat. If it was Chris, then he'd have to deal with them both now. If he thought Will was trouble, it was nothing compared what these two would do. As she drew nearer to the scene, I saw that Adam's body language changed. It was as though he had sensed her, sensed he was being watched. He became relaxed all of a sudden, and in an instant was wrapping up his conversation. "Sorry I couldn't help you," he muttered, although I suspected he didn't mean it. "Maybe next time." He took a step to the side, and I thought he would return to the till, but it seemed he decided against it. It was then the man made an appearance, revealing himself.

"Luke?"

Annie's surprise was parallel to mine. Not knowing what to do, I retreated. It was from impulse, more than anything. As I did so, I accidently knocked into the spray cans which were sitting on the top shelf I'd been leaning against, spilling them across the floor. I picked them up in my haste, shoving them back into their rightful place, a little voice inside my head berating me for causing such an awful noise. Luke would know I was here now. He would know I'd been listening in to his conversation and had been spying on him. I had been silly for coming in here, I told myself; silly to think it would be okay. I hadn't thought this far ahead. I had come here without a plan. I hadn't even thought about the consequences. It was obvious to me now, that Adam had been trying to postpone the inevitable, and had told Luke to go look elsewhere so I wouldn't get caught. The boldness I had shown that morning vanished, replaced with clumsiness and panic. It was then, I heard my name being called. "Rose, come out - it's only Luke."

What must he think of me, I thought. What conclusions were running through his head?

I took a steady breath, pulling myself together. Wasn't that what you were supposed to do in those situations?

"Ah, there you are!" Annie said when I eventually braved it out of the shadows. She beckoned me towards them, to where they had all gathered, positioned as though they were old friends mingling at a party. She, with Luke. Adam lurking just behind. I smiled at them, as I would have done normally, and she leaned into Luke then, to whisper in his ear, "This mustn't get back to her dad. If it does, the whole town will feel it." His puzzled expression had her explaining more of my predicament to him, "It's a long story, but Will hates my brother..."

She was covering my tracks, and for that I was grateful. However, if I didn't intervene, before she said anything else, she would end up spilling all my secrets. If he and I were ever to meet up again, he would start asking all those awkward questions that would begin with words like, how and why, and I wouldn't know how to answer them. "Luke," I said hurriedly. "It's nice to see you again." And I could say that, I told myself. Adam already knew we'd met up and had a coffee. There was no point pretending we hadn't at that stage. "How's work going?"

"It's to be expected." He took his beanie off his head, ruffling his hair with one of those giant hands of his. He was dressed in his casual clothes today, I noted. Perhaps he'd been to work already, or maybe he had a day off. I soon found myself wondering which one it was. "The students are keeping me on my toes."

Annie's curiosity got the better of her. "What is it you do?"

"He's a Zoologist," I answered for him.

The words had come flying out of my mouth before I could even stop them. Perhaps, I had done it in a bid to feel more comfortable. But unwittingly, I had actually put myself into the role of hostess. And as a hostess, I was expected to produce more facts about my guests. While Luke and Annie engaged some more - she, asking him lots of questions with the information I had managed to pass on, and he; responding in kind - I snuck a look at Adam. He was glowering at the scene before him with hooded eyes, unimpressed by what was taking place. Something told me this was more than just jealousy on his behalf, and it was difficult to reconcile him with the playful man who had kissed me, only a few moments prior. To him, Luke was a threat. A very real one.

"Well, as you're here temporarily," Annie was saying, "Why don't we meet up for dinner, sooner rather than later. Mitch and I are heading off shortly for a holiday, but when we get back..." She stopped then and a gasp escaped her lips. I knew immediately what was occurring in that pretty little head of hers. If she hadn't been attached to Luke's forearm, I was certain she would have clapped her hands. "I know! Why don't you come to my birthday party! I'd love to have you there!"

Adam came forward. I knew he hadn't liked what he had heard. But Annie was quick. Like me, I suspected she had sensed the testosterone in the air. "Adam, this is Luke," she announced in her most sweetest voice. "I told you about him, remember? He's the guy who came to my rescue, the other night."

There was an awkward moment, and I didn't think Adam would shake the hand Luke offered him. When he did, I felt myself breathing a sigh of relief.

"You'll have to forgive my brother," Annie apologized, shooting Adam a look which I took to be a warning shot. "He's very protective."

"It's only natural to want to protect those who are important to us," Luke responded.

It was music to Annie's ears. But, from where I stood, I swear I could feel every muscle in Adam's body stiffen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20 2 19
After the events in Seneca, OR Adam's life changes what seems for the best, even though the government swept the truth under the rug. Years of thera...
361K 8.8K 52
Jess been suffering in silent waiting until she's 18 to leave her pack, without a mate, Living with her abusive families it was up to her to protect...
4 0 4
My second anthology book telling 4 different thrilling stories about not related characters facing 4 different nightmares with eyes wide open. Horror...
2.9K 70 11
Although orphaned at an early age, caused so much trouble for anyone who knew her, and was always moving onto the next place not caring about who she...