KOCM

By AnghelNoMore

For my offline reading only. ❗️❗️❗️ The story is not mine, as well as the translation. Nothing of this story... More

Prologue
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
46-50
51-55
56-60
61-65
66-70
71-75
76-80
81-85
86-90
91-95
96-100
101-105
106-110
111-115
116-120
121-125
126-130
131-135
136-140
141-145
146-150
151-155
156-160
161-165
166-170
171-175
176-180
181-185
186-190
191-195
196-200
201-205
206-207

41-45

8 0 0
By AnghelNoMore

Chapter 41
There was a saying in Huaxia that went, "pi ji tai lai." (Extreme sorrow becomes joy.)

Due to the mistake in promoting the event, the Hong Kong Sea Music Festival had 20-30% fewer visitors than in previous years. However, since everything had already gone wrong, weren't they due to be lucky at least once?

First, they used the New Ai's recruitment drive, then the news that Min Chen was present triggered an onslaught of people. Then, the young Chinese violinist that performed with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, and phenomenally successful concert.

When the festival came to an end, many people looked back on the ten-day event, and most of them thought something along the lines of: "Actually. . . this year's festival was much more interesting than any other I've attended."

Naturally, Qi Mu didn't know this. He took the first flight back to B City the afternoon after the festival was over. Landing in B City, Qi Mu inhaled the fresh air of Huaxia and said wistfully, "This is what I'm most familiar with after all!"

Min Chen: ". . ."

Having left the warm climate in the south, the December chill in the north was enough to make the air feel like ice. The cold wind blew across the street like an iron knife. It was late at night, and traffic was sparse. By the time Qi Mu reached home from the airport, it was already early in the morning.

Since tomorrow was Christmas, Qi Mu invited Min Chen to his house as thanks for looking after him the past few days. Min Chen was surprised to receive the invitation, but he nodded and agreed.

For westerners, Christmas was like the Chinese New Year. Qi Mu had grown up in Europe and stayed there all his life. However, his adoptive parents were Chinese, so he never placed much importance on Christmas, and they instead celebrated the Chinese New Year.

When he was still a child in the orphanage, the cold dean would give them chocolates, at most, but other than that, he had never attributed anything special to the date.

This time, he invited Min Chen over because he knew the man wasn't returning to Europe for Christmas and might feel lonely but also to thank him for his care at the same time.

Qi Mu had thought of a simple dinner. He didn't know that a wall over, in the living room large enough to raise a whale, the always indifferent Min Chen was looking through various ties, tie clips, and cufflinks spread across the sofa with an unusually somber eye.

Standing before these dazzling items that would make it difficult for anyone to make a decision, the handsome man stared calmly for ten minutes then closed his eyes and randomly pointed in a direction. Like so, he selected a long, dark blue tie, a tie clip with a white diamond at its center, and a pair of sapphire cufflinks.

When it was time, Min Chen swiftly sorted out his attire and picked up the white lilies he had specially delivered this morning and exited his door. He impassively walked next door and rang the doorbell.

Soon after, the sound of footsteps came from behind the door.

"Creak--" The door opened.

Min Chen: ". . ."

The pretty woman standing in the doorway: ". . ."

After a moment, Min Chen glanced at the number on the door. Confirming that he hadn't gone to the wrong place, the elegant man frowned.

Before he could speak, a familiar voice came from further inside, "Sister-in-law, who is it?"

The woman smiled and turned back to reply, "Xiao Qi, come see. . . if this is that friend you mentioned?"

Qi Mu come from the kitchen in a white apron. Seeing Min Chen, QI Mu unintentionally laughed and said, "Min Chen. . . it's just a simple dinner at home. You didn't have to wear such. . . formal attire."

Outside, the handsome man wore an elegant black suit. Every corner of his clothing was ironed, looking freshly purchased. Even his hair was slicked back and fixed in place with hair gel. It almost felt like he could step on stage the next moment, pick up a baton, and begin a performance.

Min Chen was silent, and Qi Mu did not wait for a reply. He saw the bouquet of white lilies in the man's arms and was stunned. He suddenly thought of something, and a trace of guilt flashed in his eyes. He said helplessly, "I'm sorry. I should have told you clearly yesterday so you wouldn't worry too much."

Qi Mu's words left Min Chen in a daze, but the lost look in his eyes was suddenly swept away.

Min Chen stared at Qi Mu for a while then his thin lips curled upward slowly, and he laughed softly, "It doesn't matter. I was the one who thought too much."

The woman stuck in the middle: ". . ."

"Honey, why are you still standing at the door? Why don't you go see what Qi Mu made. . . and how it tastes. . ."

"Aaaahhh!!! Min Chen!!!"

There was loud thud, and the things Zheng Wei Qiao had purchased at the supermarket fell to the ground. They quickly tidied up and went into Qi Mu's apartment.

Once all the food was on the table, Zhao Yue, Zheng Wei Qiao's wife, laughed and said while she served the soup, "Xiao Qi's cooking is delicious. I thought I would need to help out more today, but it looks like I was worried for nothing."

Zhao Yue wasn't in the music circle. While she looked gentle, she was, in fact, a savvy and decisive lawyer. Although her husband was in the music industry, she knew nothing about it, so when she saw Min Chen, she didn't recognize him.

Of course, to Zhao Yue, this was just a simple meal, and everyone had gathered to celebrate. Because Zheng Wei Qiao had told her beforehand that Qi Mu's performance at the music festival was reported on in several international media, she only thought about celebrating that with Qi Mu today.

Like Qi Mu, the Zheng family didn't put much importance on Christmas. Thus, at the table, only one man was wearing formal attire, appearing solemn, completely out of place.

This was Zheng Wei Qiao's first time being in contact with Min Chen. Although Qi Mu always said the man wasn't as harsh as he looked, having a dinner together with such a giant in the industry. . . it made him a bit uncomfortable.

Fortunately, he was only somewhat half in the circle right now. If he was still a violinist playing in an orchestra, he didn't think he would even dare breathe.

The atmosphere was rather stiff once dinner started, so Qi Mu took the initiative to liven things up. As a lawyer, Zhao Yue was savvy with words, so she often made jokes here and there. Once dinner was over, Zheng Wei Qiao quietly pulled Qi Mu aside and gave him a red envelope, then he said, "Xiao Qi, ah, later. . . don't make me eat with Mr. Min again."

For the Zheng couple, Qi Mu was still a kid in his early twenties, so they often gave him pocket money.

Qi Mu quickly returned the envelope to Zheng Wei Qiao and helplessly said, "Zheng-ge, Min Chen is truly a good person. Really, get to know him a little, and you'll get along with him. He has a good temper."

Who would expect that Zheng Wei Qiao, known for his calmness, would suddenly burst into tears, "Xiao Qi, ah. I'm not being prejudiced against him or anything, it's just. . . The sight of Mr. Min makes me remember when Teacher would punish me by having me practice 《Constance March》 for a month! I still can't forget how terrible that song was, even after eight years. I'll always remember that nightmarish month whenever I see Mr. Min's face. . ."

Qi Mu: ". . ."

《Constance March》was the first movement in 《Violin Sonata No. 9 in D Major》. This symphony was written by Min Chen when he was twenty-one. There were four movements in the whole composition and among them, the violin section of the first movement was the most difficult to perform. Some professionals even secretly called it "Hell."

Min Chen was a pianist after all. So compared to Paganini's Caprice No. 24 "Devil's Movement," there were some areas of 《Constance March》 that were lacking. Particularly in the technical aspect. But, for a violin song written by a contemporary musician, no one doubted that this was the most difficult to play.

Watching Zheng Wei Qiao's expression of "having just seen a ghost," Qi Mu didn't try to persuade him anymore. After he saw the couple off downstairs, Qi Mu returned to his apartment and unexpectedly found Min Chen. . . Clearing! The! Table!

Qi Mu's eyes flew wide open in surprise, and he forgot to close the door. "Why are you clearing the dishes?!"

This patient whose obsession with cleanliness was very steep pinched the edge of a plate and picked it up. Qi Mu's sudden yell caused him to fumble a bit, and his finger ended up brushing against a brown sauce. Min Chen's face immediately turned black and he stiffened.

They went to the kitchen together, and Qi Mu started washing the dishes. He said profoundly, "Thank you so much for today, Min Chen. I really didn't expect you to stay and help me clean up. I certainly didn't expect you to pick up the dishes."

Min Chen who stood beside him drying a plate but actually doing nothing: ". . ."

Qi Mu sighed, "It's amazing that you actually carried them. . ."

Min Chen: ". . ."

How to say it. . . it wasn't as though the plate he carried was explosive, right? Well, it had to be an illusion.

Chapter 42
On such a bleak night, even B City, which was usually filled with people during the day, was sparse. There were only a few cars driving by on the streets, and they quickly disappeared into the freezing night.

The security in this area was relatively good. There was a special system at the entrance, and outsiders were not allowed to enter freely. It was a high-end apartment, but there were only three buildings. Qi Mu's apartment was on the 26th floor of the last one.

This building had twenty-seven floors. Qi Mu only recently learned that the entire 27th floor was owned by Min Chen, along with the one he lived in on the 26th, making his apartment a double-floor penthouse. It could be said that apart from this apartment, purchased before Min Chen had, the entire floor was also Min Chen's.

Right now, those two floors were dark. Only Qi Mu's apartment was shining with warm, yellow light. After cleaning the table, Min Chen didn't immediately leave. Instead, he stared at an oil painting that Qi Mu had on the wall, lost in thought.

Qi Mu finished tidying up and looked over. He saw Min Chen staring at the painting and walked to stand beside him, "It was bought from a gallery in B City. The painter's style is good. Similar to Ruben, it's vivid and looks alive."

When he spoke, Qi Mu pointed at the artistic representation of an autumn harvest on a wheat field that was beside the painting. His eyes bowed into crescents, "This autumn harvest is more like Ruben's early works. Though not as radical, it has its own charm. I remember one by him is hanging in the first rehearsal hall of the Geneva Conservatory."

Min Chen had initially been just studying the painting, but when he heard Qi Mu's words, his dark eyes narrowed. Just as Qi Mu thought of introducing the other painting to him, Min Chen asked casually, "Was there such a painting there? When I went to last year's graduation concert, I didn't notice it."

Being so suddenly asked about it, Qi Mu automatically replied, "Yes. Though, has it been removed recently? It's possible. After all, Professor Deville, that painting. . ." Suddenly, Qi Mu's voice silenced, and his throat went taut as he realized there was something wrong with his words.

After a long time, Qi Mu smiled, "I only heard about it. Professor Deville Carter at the Geneva Conservatory has a collection of paintings. I was interested in one of them when I was a child, and my mother told me she saw the painting there the last time she went."

In the original's memory, his mother did go to Conservatory for a concert when she was young. As to whether she saw that painting or not. . . Qi Mu really had no idea.

Qi Mu's immediate clarification for the slip of tongue would have possibly made the other believe it if they were Du Sheng or Zheng Wei Qiao.

Even if it was Tan Zheng Hui, there might be some doubt, but he wouldn't dwell on it.

But, the person standing beside him right now. . . was Min Chen.

Qi Mu has spent quite some thought in decorating his apartment. There was a spotlight to highlight and brighten these paintings. At the moment, the diffused white light reflected onto the man's handsome profile, solidifying his sharp features.

Min Chen felt something incredulous flash through his mind, but just as he was about to capture his thought, it disappeared entirely without a trace. He squinted and gently hummed, "If you want to know, i can get Daniel to go find out. Geneva and Berlin. . . it's not that far."

Seeing that the other man didn't seem to be suspicious, Qi Mu felt a bit relieved. He shook his head and said, "Let's not bother him. It's no big deal anyway." After a pause, he laughed and changed the topic, "Oh right, I really am sorry about not telling you today would be informal beforehand. I. . . probably let you down."

Qi Mu could imagine. For the Bertram family, it was impossible to have a simple 8-in-1 soup for a Christmas Eve dinner.

Min Chen's profound gaze lingered on him for a bit. Then he shook his head and replied, "Your cooking is excellent. I didn't know you could cook Chinese like that."

Qi Mu laughed, "It was all learned from my parents. They were keen on Chinese cuisine. I'm glad you liked it. I really appreciate. . . what you did for me in Hong Kong. When I went to the score, did you say something to Mr. Boswell? He was very kind to me during the rehearsals."

As a good man who never let his good deeds stick to his name, Min Chen shook his head, "I didn't do anything special. Didn't you say that Boswell's temper was particularly good?"

However, Boswell himself had told him. This man had directly recommended him to Boswell. But. . . he still refused to admit it. Perhaps this was a form of. . . modesty?

After thinking for a time, he no longer tried to chase the matter. "All in all, I appreciate you taking care of me in Hong Kong."

"I'm only repaying you."

Qi Mu: "?"

Min Chen's expression was calm, as was his tone: "For your help with the bug."

". . ."

This was a single apartment of roughly forty to fifty square meters. Even if the decorations were excellent, after ten minutes of appreciation, there was nothing left to look at. Now, there was still some time before midnight. Qi Mu knew it was important for many western families with strong traditions to keep the family together on Christmas Eve.

Although he personally had no interest in the vigil, when he considered that Min Chen had to return that large, empty house, waiting for the clock to strike twelve by himself. . . he shook his head and sighed.

Since the other man had helped him so much, even calling it a repayment. . . so why not?

"Before you knocked on my door that day, I had no idea you lived next door." Qi Mu poured a cup of warm water from a thermos and handed it to Min Chen, continuing to say, "I didn't expect to not know who was living next door for so long, it's a bit funny."

Min Chen took the cup and said, "I don't remember hearing the violin through the wall."

Qi Mu laughed, "I practice in the music room every day. So I wouldn't disturb the neighbors, I renovated for better insulation." After a pause, he said strangely, "But I only practice for a few hours a day, and I don't remember. . . is there a piano next door?"

He remembered, when he went into the apartment next door, he could see one. It was in the living room, a beautiful, black Steinway. It stood proudly in front of the floor-to-ceiling windows. It was elegant.

This man who didn't practice even an hour on the piano everyday listened to this, and his face went black. He coughed softly, "Probably while you were practicing the violin. . . I also dabbled on the piano."

Qi Mu nodded understandingly.

Min Chen's eyes were still dark, and he very quickly changed the topic, "I haven't seen your music room."

Qi Mu subsequently smiled, "It's not that interesting of a place, just an ordinary music room." Despite saying so, he enthusiastically led the guest to his music room. He opened the door and turned on the light, revealing the simple music room. "I did not ask for a music room, so the decorations are simpler."

Min Chen's narrow gaze circled the entire room then settled on the box on the table. "You like Paganini's 《lla》?"

Qi Mu subconsciously replied, "Well, I've practiced Paganini's songs for a while."

"I like this piece very much, will you. . . allow me to listen?"

Qi Mu was stunned, and he turned to look at the man. He saw that Min Chen was also staring at him, his eyes deep and focused. The meaning of that request, Qi Mu was shocked.

It was a glorious thing for any violinist to have Min Chen ask for a performance. Compared to other music masters, Min Chen was a very indifferent person. He had given a chance to only a few, but none. . . later became well known.

Bai Ai's current concertmaster, Christole, was the only violinist Min Chen had taken the initiative to hear his violin.

And now a second had appeared.

Without a trace of fear, Qi Mu curled his lips into a smile and laughed. This expression of confidence was dazzling on the youth's handsome face.

He nodded seriously, and his voice was firm, "Alright."

He removed his violin from its case, wiped the bow with rosin, and directly lifted it to his shoulder.

The notes were smooth, like water current, and the brisk tone flew from the strings of his violin. The word 《lla》 translated into Chinese meant 《Bell》. However it had a unique name--《The Emperor's Bell》.

The song was mostly a brisk staccato, but in a Paganini's song, it was quite tricky and most violinists couldn't control it. So when Min Chen proposed this song, it was also a challenge for Qi Mu.

But, this song was one of Qi Mu's former incarnation's most perfected piece, and he was especially fond of it.

Qi Mu had played 《Bell》 at his graduation concert as his last performance at Geneva. Even in laters interviewing with several of the Vienna Symphony Orchestra, he still played 《Bell》.

This piece was incredibly significant to Qi Mu. In his previous life, he had a special album that recorded it five times.

In that quiet music room, the cheerful music couldn't wait to jump free from his bow. Every note danced in the air, breaking the silence of the room like it wanted to everything into the depths of a happy, cheerful ocean.

As soon as the first note emerged, Qi Mu was immersed in the sound. Each string, each pull of his bow, it was engraved into the depths of his memory. Pulling out this familiar melody, it was like he had returned to that early morning that he had gone to the Vienna Symphony Orchestra with his violin case.

If the interview wasn't a success, he could only leave Vienna.

The slender fingers of the youth's white hand flowed back and forth over the four thing strings. The speed was so fast, sometimes so dazzling, that one could only use their ears to listen to the beautiful music.

Perhaps he was too immersed, so deep he could not extricate himself from it, so Qi Mu didn't know that after playing for just a minute, the man listening to him suddenly stiffened and stared at him incredulously.

His Phoenix eyes were wide, and Min Chen's fingers trembled.

Daniel had been with this man for over a decade, but if he could see this now, he would have said, "Oh my god, Min. Is it the end of the world? Why are you so surprised?!"

The song went on for nine minutes, and Min Chen's excellent hearing suspended him in horror, capturing every note perfectly.

Each slide of the fingers against the strings, each pass of the bow, each of these notes were so hauntingly familiar. When they came together, they formed the unique song that belonged to just Qi Mu--《La Campanella》.

This song that was unique to Lu Zi Wen. . . 《La Campanella》.

Chapter 43

The gorgeous sound of a violin continued to ring clearly in the simple music room. Qi Mu was a contemplative person. Over the years, he seldom thought he was the best, or most skilled, at any of the songs he played. However, when it came to 《Bell》, he could confidently say, "I am good at it."

The bow jumped rapidly across the strings, but each movement was controlled by this skilled violinist. Paganini, called the King of the Violin, was often praised for his dazzling skill with the instrument.

This 《Bell》 was a nightmare for an inexperienced violinist. But that was not true for Qi Mu, who was already entirely immersed in the song. At the end, Qi Mu was still engrossed in the familiar sound and was unable to shake himself free of it.

He returned to his senses at the low chime of a distant bell.

Today was Christmas Eve and the many bells in B City's tower rant at the stroke of midnight. The bell reverberated so strongly, its echoes could be felt even in the insulated music room.

Qi Mu laid his violin in its case and said with a smile, "I didn't notice it was already midnight." Buckling the case shut, he turned to the man sitting opposite him and added, "Merry Christmas."

Min Chen had already gathered his thoughts and looked indifferent and calm as usual. He nodded, "Merry Christmas."

The sound of the violin's notes still lingered in the room. Min Chen's eyes narrowed in a squint, and he commented, "You have a good grasp on 《Bell》. I've heard the Vienna Philharmonic's concertmaster, Lyon Zayev, play it in a duet once. Your skill is comparable, and you've handled the details in some parts very well."

Facing this praise, Qi Mu was not shy but instead nodded politely, "Thank you."

Min Chen looked at him and asked, seemingly casual, "Whose 《Bell》 do you usually listen to?"

For any musician, it was important to listen to the works of different maestros. Even Min Chen had a wall of shelves dedicated to various masters. Dating back to the previous century, from the oldest record to the current Blu-ray and CDs, they lined his huge music room back in Berlin.

Qi Mu took a moment to recall then answered, "I've bought Mr. Accardi's album and listened to his 《Bell》 frequently. I prefer his version in comparison to others'."

Min Chen's eyebrow raised higher when he heard this, and he stared at Qi Mu solemnly. He asked again, "You listen to Accardi's 《Bell》?"

Qi Mu nodded without thinking too much about it. He laughed and said, "I've listened to others, but Mr. Accardi's version is my favorite. Why? Do you like his too?"

Min Chen shook his head, "I prefer. . . yours."

Qi Mu was stunned. He smiled helplessly, "That hat is far too large. I dare not wear it."

Being praised so much as to be called Min Chen's favorite version, Qi Mu was a little afraid that he was joking, so he pulled away from it. While actually, Min Chen felt he had said too much, so after they spoke a while longer, it was not too late, but the two separated for the night.

Qi Mu hadn't prepared a full-table meal in a long time. After such a busy day, he felt exhausted. He took a quick shower and went to bed. Separated by the wall, in the spacious but simple living room that was still dark, its owner did not turn on the lights. Only the city streetlights that entered through the floor-to-ceiling windows illuminated the room.

The tall man leaned against the black Steinway piano that Qi Mu had just praised, and he frowned down at the moonlight splashed across the floor. He didn't say a word, but his profound gaze seemed complicated.

No one knew how long he stood there, leaning against the grand piano, without a word. But when the distant eastern horizon gained a hint of gray, he took action: dialing a number.

After a short beep, the phone was picked up. It sounded like a family dinner on the other side, and the laughter of a child came through the speaker.

"Hey, Min, Merry Christmas Eve. It's past midnight for you over there, right? It's too early for you to be calling me. I still have an hour until midnight, alright? I'm going to the New Year concert soon. Damn it, Min, when will you come back?"

Min Chen's foot pressed against the floor, and he straightened from the piano. He walked over to the windows and said in a low voice, "Daniel. Merry Christmas Eve. Help me book a ticket. Have a wonderful Christmas night."

"Haha, Min. You'll only speak so well at Christmas. Alright, what do you want me to look for? My sweetheart can wait for me to cut the turkey. This year, it's very good, roasted and tender right out of the oven. Oh. . ."

Min Chen went straight to the point, "Help me research someone."

There seemed to be someone talking to Daniel. After saying a few words in reply, Daniel turned to answer Min Chen. "Are you still talking about that Luo Yu Sen? Hey, Min, I've already found out his background. You can look at the research on him and Jacques later. I don't really know how Luo provoked that Jacques, but he's being choked out."

Daniel had begun the investigation when he had left a few days ago. Luo Yu Sen was being isolated in the Vienna Symphony Orchestra, and it seemed to be the deliberate work of the concertmaster, Jacques himself. Daniel didn't know why Jacques was doing it, but he was very confident that it was his handiwork.

Listening to Daniel, he didn't want to ask another thing about Luo Yu Sen. Swaying, Min Chen said, "Not him. I want you to check out. . . Qi Mu."

Daniel sneaked aside and said subconsciously, "I didn't check his information before. But, his father was the conductor of the Huaxia S City Symphony Orchestra. His mother was the concertmaster. He's studied the violin since he was four. He won the Menuhin Junior Championship at thirteen and worked the Vienna Symphony Orchestra at fourteen. . ."

"Daniel."

The man's magnetic voice suddenly interrupted Daniel's tirade, and Daniel noticed there was something wrong. He frowned and opened the door to his lively living room. Stepping out onto the balcony, he asked, "Min, what happened for you to want me to look into things?"

"I want you to look into. . ."

"The relationship between him and Lu Zi Wen."

Near the New Year, the major orchestras in Europe would hold a grand concert. The most striking of which would be the Vienna New Year Concert and the Berlin Philharmonic New Year Concert.

The latter was held in the Philharmonic Hall in Berlin, where a musical feast would be played on New Year's Eve. The former was usually held in the Golden Hall on January 1st of each year. There would be live broadcasts in dozens of countries across the world so this annual event could be played in every corner of the world.

In the music capital of Vienna, the protagonist of the New Year was naturally the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. Every year, music lovers from all over the world would gather to listen to Wei Ai's performance.

As for the Vienna Symphony Orchestra. . . Although they were also a world-class Symphony, they could not compete with Wei Ai. They often did world tours in previous years, after all, there were only a small number of people that could come to Vienna to listen to their concerts. Passing the beauty of classical music to fans around the world was their mission.

But, this year, probably because there was trouble on the inside, Evra, the Vienna Symphony Orchestra's conductor didn't hold a global tour. Instead, he made the entire orchestra make adjustments this winter, waiting for the next year to have a public performance.

In winter, Vienna was still warm, and there was rarely any rainfall. Even near the end of the year, the sun was warm, and people didn't want to move.

3 o'clock in the afternoon, Viena Symphony Orchestra Headquarters.

Although they said "adjustments," daily rehearsals were still essential. Around afternoon tea time, the concertmaster Jacques, serving as interim conductor, announced a break. The man sitting at the deputy chief position at the second violin group stood.

The fat, black man standing in at the podium sneered at the black-haired Chinese man that rushed out to the lounge. He didn't have any words to say, so he went with the other members to have the afternoon tea.

At the other side, Luo Yu Sen stood in the doorway of the lounge with trepidation. After gaining permission, he entered.

Stravinsky's 《Petrsuka》echoed in the room and the elegant piano sounded with each turn of the album. Since someone had entered the room, Evra turned down the volume and turned. He watched Luo Yu Sen with a blank expression and asked, "Luo? You've come looking for me, is there a problem?"

Luo Yu Sen stared at the floor and struggled in his heart for a long time. "Mr. Evra. There are a lot of songs in the next quarter that requires a deputy chief. I don't think the position can continue to be empty."

Luo Yu Sen said "deputy chief," but it was not about his position in the second violin group. Rather, it was the deputy chief position in the first violin group. Four months ago, that was Lu Zi Wen's position, but ever since the accident, Evra had left the position vacant without adjusting the seats or recruiting externally.

In the face of Luo Yu Sen's sudden discussion, Evra wasn't too surprised. This serious old man still had face, so he said nothing. Instead, he seemed to be waiting.

The Chinese man hesitated for a while and said, "Mr. Evra. I've thought a lot. Lu Zi Wen's death makes me sad, and I often dream of him every night, but I don't think he'd want to see the orchestra missing a deputy chief." He seemed to have gained confidence, and he looked up at Evra, "Mr. Evra, I want to recommend myself to you. Please, test me."

Luo Yu Sen finished, but there was no response.

This strange silence made Luo Yu Sen feel awkward. After a long time, Evra sighed and said, "Luo, you have to train. Deputy chief. . . I have this position in my heart. I am also very saddened by Lu's death. He was very promising, and an outstanding violinist. As your lover, you must work hard to share his burden, ah."

Luo Yu Sen was anxious. "Mr. Evra, I'm willing to accept your challenge, I. . ."

"Luo." Evra looked indifferently upon this anxious man. He said plainly, "Your current level is not enough to serve as deputy chief. Practice well. The orchestra has been making progress, and I hope you can keep up with everyone's rhythm. For Lu's sake, the things I mentioned before have been considered, but. . . your strength isn't enough to guarantee the renewal of your contract."

Under Evra's harsh refusal, Luo Yu Sen left the lounge.

《Petrsuka》's sound had been floating about the lounge for a long time, and eventually, it calmed. Evra removed the disk and calmly placed it back in the album case. Apparently, andropause was already affecting a man so young. As he stood, Evra muttered, "Want to be deputy chief with that skill? Well, it's a pity the talented ones like Lu leave first. . ."

Chapter 44

Only a few days after Qi Mu's return to B City, he sent off the most solemn, western Christmas celebration ever and ushered in the new year. On the night of December 30th, a New Year's concert was to be held at the Great Hall of the People, and the performer was Huaxia's National Symphony Orchestra.

The B City Symphony Orchestra was in a similar situation to the Vienna Symphony. Moreso, Tan Zheng Hui didn't actually want to perform a national concert this year. So, on the evening of the 30th, Qi Mu arrived early at the Great Hall of the People.

This year, Huaxia invited the world-class master, Ivan Kocher from the US National Symphony Orchestra. This maestro's style was delicate and gentle, and he had conducted the Huaxia National Symphony before. Qi Mu looked forward to tonight's performance very much.

Throughout the nearly three-hour-long performance, Ivan and the Huaxia Orchestra received a lot of praise and applause. Once it had ended, a large part of the audience was still immersed and would not forget the experience.

Qi Mu had attended the concert alone this evening. The Zheng couple went to their hometown to visit family for the holidays. When Qi Mu had gone next door with the two tickets he received from the B City Orchestra, he knocked for quite some time without a response.

Just as Qi Mu thought it was strange, he remembered--

Huaxia was holding a New Year's concert, wasn't Berlin the same?

Min Chen must have returned to rehearse with the orchestra a few days ago. The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra's New Year concert on the 31st was also a must-see.

Therefore, Qi Mu sat alone under the magnificent dome of the Great Hall while the seat beside him remained empty. But, as he was about to leave, he hadn't taken even a few steps when he suddenly heard someone whisper his name.

Turning back, Qi Mu saw Tan Lao walking toward him with a smile.

Du Sheng looked Qi Mu up and down and smiled, "Xiao Qi, ah, why did you come alone? Didn't the orchestra give two tickets per person? You don't have a girlfriend?"

Qi Mu's smile shrank, and he said helplessly, "Du-ge, you're making fun of me again. I don't have a girlfriend, ah." I don't even have a boyfriend!

Du Sheng just laughed and stopped teasing him. Instead, a graceful man in a suit beside him, who had been smiling at Qi Mu all the while, said, "Xiao Qi, I haven't seen you for a long time. Why didn't you come visit? Did you forget your Uncle Zhu?"

As a matter-of-fact, Qi Mu had noticed Zhu Wen Jun standing beside Tan Lao.

The handsome middle-aged man was the current conductor of S City's Symphony Orchestra. Beside him, holding his hand and smiling, was the orchestra's music director and also his wife, Cheng Ting Wen.

Qi Mu nodded and politely greeted them with a soft smile, "Uncle Zhu, Auntie Cheng, long time no see. I received that S City delicacy you sent last month. Thank you for the gift."

Although Cheng Ting Wen was over forty, her body was well maintained, and she looked like she was in her thirties. She covered her mouth to hide her laugh and said, "Xiao Qi is really sweet. Oh right, we received that album you sent us from Hong Kong the other day. Your skill is getting better and better. Your Uncle Zhu and I listened to the Sibelius' 《First Symphony》 you performed with New Ai, and we've decided to talk to you about something."

Qi Mu asked, "What is it?"

Henpecked as always, Zhu Wen Jun would never oppose his wife. He only looked at her helplessly then said to Qi Mu, "This matter is still a secret. We intended to talk to Tan Lao first, then invite you. But since Ting Wen's already mentioned it, I'll tell you directly. Xiao Qi, do you know how many years ago our S City Orchestra was founded?"

This question was indeed a test. No matter how hard Qi Mu studied, it was impossible to remember the details of every single orchestra clearly. Even for the S City Orchestra, which was one of the most famous in all of Huaxia.

As for the original?

His head was full of car racing and playing games. There was no time to think of when an orchestra was established.

After thinking for a long time, Qi Mu gave a probable answer, "If I remember correctly, S City's Symphony Orchestra was founded in or around 1920?"

Zhu Wen Jun and Cheng Ting Wen looked at each other and smiled. The former nodded and said, "Not too far off. It was officially established on January 8, 1916. The Yulin West Daily issued a statement on it that year. This year will be the 100th anniversary of the orchestra's founding."

Qi Mu was startled, but he continued to listen as Cheng Tin Wen said, "There were some accidents, and our preparations were hurried. We won't make it for January 8th this year, but the grand celebration will be held in February. When your parents were alive ten years ago, we regretted that we invited famous violinists and conductors to perform for our 90th anniversary. This year, we plan to invite Chinese musicians and showcase a festival that belongs just to Huaxia."

Qi Mu was beginning to guess what was coming, from Zhu Wen Jun and his wife's words, but he didn't dare speak it aloud as he felt it was unlikely.

Seeing his bewildered face, Tan Lao smiled, "For the S City Orchestra's Centennial Celebration, other orchestras, including ours, will be lending a hand. For the piano, Wang Zheng, the second place winner of the Xiao Competition last year, has been invited to perform Prokofiev's 《Piano Concerto No. 2》."

Du Sheng also smiled and nodded, "For this celebration, many Chinese young talents are being invited. Besides Min Chen, several famous Chinese musicians under the age of thirty were invited, and many of them have already agreed to give a special performance."

After Du Sheng mentioned Min Chen's name, Zhu Wen Jun looked at Qi Mu and said, "Bai Ai seems to be busy at the beginning of the year. Otherwise, I would have liked to cede this baton to Min Chen."

Zhu Wen Jun's self-depreciation made everyone laugh. He looked at the confused Qi Mu and said, "Xiao Qi. At the end of last year, we had a lot of plans and issued some invitations. For the violinists, we considered many young talents like Sheng Yan Hui and Li Zhang, but now. . . I think there's an even better candidate."

Qi Mu was no longer confused. He understood what Zhu Wen Jun meant.

But he was still a little shocked. After a while, he frowned and asked tentatively, "Uncle Zhu, you want to. . . invite me?"

Zhu Wen Jun laughed and said, "Yes, Xiao Qi. S City's Symphony Orchestra will send you an official invitation tomorrow. I hope you can take part in the celebration. Some people have some doubts and are a bit prejudiced against you, but your cooperation with New Ai was great, and it's dispelled their concerns."

He paused and his expression slowly changed. "Qi Mu, I sincerely hope you will accept this invitation. The past eight years. . . we've both made mistakes. We didn't take good care of you for Qi Jun and Ru Yue. We left you alone on the wrong path."

At the time, the death of Qi Mu's parents was so sudden it jarred all of their friends. Qi Jun and Ru Yue left only Qi Mu, this one seedling. Several of the seniors had the idea to nurture Qi Mu until he had grown, but who would expect this to be counterproductive and make this stubborn kid even more rebellious?

As a matter-of-fact, every time they got together these past eight years, they would lament over this. If Qi Mu really didn't want to stay on this path, then what they did was indeed selfish. So in private, they contacted Zheng Wei Qiao and sent money for Qi Mu, but also helped arrange jobs for him.

Even if Zheng Wei Qiao had a wide net of connections, it was impossible for him to find a new job for Qi Mu every week. It was also impossible for him to aid Qi Mu so frequently when he needed to provide for his own family. These thin-skinned elders were too embarrassed to apologize to the younger generation, and if the original had seen them, he would have gotten angry anyway. So they had no choice but to use this roundabout way.

But, when he proposed the idea this time, it was the first time he was actually serious.

Zhu Wen Jun sighed, "It's been several months already, and I think. . . you really do want to get back into classical music. If that's the case, Xiao Qi, this is also your parents' unfulfilled desire. We hope you will accept this invitation and make the celebration a success."

A chilling wind blew through the square. Even at the end of the year, Chang'an Street was still packed. The city's neon lights shone down on the fair and the handsome youth's face, making it appear silky and hazy.

After a long time, Qi Mu slowly nodded and showed a sincere smile:

"Alright, Uncle Zhu. I accept your invitation. I will try my best. . . not to let you down."

Chapter 45

The prestigious S City Symphony Orchestra was the first to be established in Asia. They were undoubtedly the best classical music performers in Huaxia for the past century, since they were founded.

The orchestra had performed in various, prestigious halls around the world like Carnegie Hall in New York, Concertgebouw in the Netherlands, one in Vienna, Austria. They were even the first Huaxia performers to play on stage at the Berlin Philharmonic Hall.

Once he received the invitation, Qi Mu immediately packed up and took a plan to S City the very same day. The last time he had been in S City, it was on tour with the B City Symphony Orchestra. This time, when Qi Mu stepped onto the prosperous land, his heart quivered.

He had been to many places in his past life. Huaxia was naturally one of them. Every time he came here, he always felt as though he was inexplicably returning to his roots. Like he belonged to this land, that he was meant to grow and live here.

Many people thought that the US Green Card was challenging to get. But in recent years, it was Huaxia's Green Card that foreigners dreamed of.

Huaxia was a large country with a history spanning over five thousand years. They had broad and tolerant minds, but they also had a mindset of "hiding their shortcomings." Want to become a Huaxia national? Yeah, dream on. Huaxia would never recognize dual citizenship!

Qi Mu learned a lot about Huaxia's culture from his adoptive parents and his Chinese was also excellent. They often said: "Different race, different heart."

Qi Mu could only fully comprehend those words when he applied for Huaxia nationality numerous times in his past life.

He spent half his life preparing the materials to apply for it, and yet, in the last month of review, he died and was reborn directly as a Huaxian.

Zhu Wen Jun mentioned before that this was the one hundredth anniversary, and all the musicians they invited would be Chinese. The orchestra was naturally the S City Symphony, and the musicians were almost all geniuses under the age of thirty.

Qi Mu could understand this feeling. It was true that the development of classical music started late in Huaxia when compared with the west, but their rise was not slow either. Many Huaxians were in prominent positions in several different world-class orchestras around the world.

Qi Mu felt deeply that the older generation of musicians, and even artists, had the desire to spread classical music throughout Huaxia. This idea was confirmed within the first five hours of his arrival in S City.

"I think that 《First Symphony in E Minor》 Qi Mu performed with New Ai was excellent. Why don't we select a similar piece that's written by one of our own, instead of Paganini?" Cheng Ting Wen wore glasses and her curly hair skillfully tied up. Her expression was both professional and serious. "The style we want to showcase is different from Paganini's!"

As one of the music directors, Cheng Ting Wen was also a famous cellist. She might look like a beautiful woman on the outside, but she had a keen instinct when it came to classical music.

Another music director slapped the table. "Did you even see the violin competition last year? He's good with Paganini's and his ability to perform it is perfect. In this aspect, we should showcase our skill level to those foreigners. Do you have a better choice than Paganini's?"

Cheng Ting Wen refuted, "If you want to show skill and difficulty, is Prokofiev's 《Piano Concerto No. 2》 that Wang Zheng is playing not enough?!"

"The majority of people attending that day are professional musicians, Cheng Ting Wen, not amateurs that play outside! This is our hundred year anniversary. The music style is good, and Paganini's is the only one that is sophisticated enough for this. What are you not satisfied with?!"

. . .

Seeing these music directors argue to the point that they were rolling up their sleeves, Qi Mu was humored and distraught. He thought Huaxia musicians would be more reserved and not show their emotions so easily. He didn't expect that when it came to music, musicians all over the world were like this. . . short tempered and without manners.

In S City's conference room, Qi Mu and the other members of the orchestra persuaded them for a long time. Eventually, Zhu Wen Jun made a decision and didn't give them an opportunity to think about it.

"The last two songs Qi Mu will perform are going to be Min Chen's 《Violin Sonata in D minor》 and 《Liang Zhu》. It is settled." The handsome middle-aged man looked at his wife and said kindly, "Ting Wen, see, both are in tune with the theme, right? And they're both the works of a Huaxian."

Cheng Ting Wen hummed and agreed.

Zhu Wen Jun looked at the man on the other side of the room and said helplessly, "Lao Qi, ah, 《D minor》is not that difficult, but are you okay with 《Constance March》?"

The middle-aged man called Lao Qi nodded reluctantly.

Zhu Wen Jun let out a relieved sigh. He looked at Qi Mu who was sitting opposite him. "Xiao Qi, ah, sorry for making you see this joke. Your Auntie Cheng, Uncle Qi and I grew up together, so this is normal. Don't be surprised."

Watching the two musicians arguing until their necks were flushed with anger already made it hard for Qi Mu to restrain his laughter. He dutifully fixed his expression and nodded earnestly, "Okay, Uncle Zhu."

Zhu Wen Jun naturally knew that Qi Mu was suppressing his laughter and he felt helpless. But he still had to say, "As you heard, you will perform after Wang Zheng, and you will be the last. You worked with 《Liang Zhu》 when you were a child, so I don't worry about it, but how's your 《D major》?"

《D major》 was that one Zheng Wei Qiao mentioned before. . . the nightmarish one. The first movement was called 《Constance March and had a variety of complex tremolo, jumps of the bow, and notes spanning from G to E string repeatedly. It was all challenging to a musician's skill and endurance.

Qi Mu hadn't touched this piece for a long time, so he honestly replied, "I haven't played it for a long time, Uncle Zhu. But there is still just over a month to prepare. Give me three days, I'll master it again."

Zhu Wen Jun asked, "Three days? Is that all you need?"

Qi Mu smiled up at him then solemnly nodded, "Yes."

Getting an affirmative answer from Qi Mu, Zhu Wen Jun smiled gently and said a few words of encouragement. He then discussed the song selection with Cheng Ting Wen. Qi Mu, led by his assistant, returned to the hotel arranged for him by the S City Symphony Orchestra.

When the original left S City a few years ago, he went with a bad attitude. He sold his house, so when Qi Mu returned, he had no choice but to live in a hotel.

His room had a view of the Huangpu River and today's weather was unusually good. Qi Mu could see the oil tanker sailing along the river with just a glance. Qi Mu put away his luggage and took out his violin case. He then went to the S City Symphony headquarters not too far away.

The headquarters was a small three-story building over a hundred years old. It was one of the oldest buildings in the city. Qi Mu entered and went to the music room marked with his name. He thanked the girl that guided him to it then closed the door and was alone.

Placing the case on the table, Qi Mu took out the bow and rubbed it down with rosin. Before he could start tuning, he suddenly heard a familiar ringtone. It was the 《E Minor》 that the B City Symphony Orchestra had performed. Qi Mu was surprised when he saw the name on his screen and quickly answered, "Hello, Min Chen?"

A magnetic voice echoed over the phone line, "Yes, it's me. Are you not home?"

Qi Mu was stunned and asked without thinking, "Are you at my door?"

Qi Mu smiled helplessly at the affirmative he received then put down his bow and said, "I flew to S City today. Did you know about the S City Symphony Orchestra's Centennial Celebration? It will be held next month. It was decided they were going to showcase some young musicians, so I received an invitation. . ." Speaking of, Qi Mu suddenly remembered, "By the way, you should have also received an invitation, right? I forgot about that."

Holding the phone with one hand, Qi Mu set his score on the tripod then looked down at the familiar name on the score. He said with a smile, "It's a pity you can't participate. It's a rare centennial celebration after all. Do you know what score I'm looking at right now?"

He listened to the answer from the other side then laughed, "I'm looking at your 《D major》. I'll be playing it next month. This piece is quite difficult, so I wanted to. . ."

The youth's pleasant voice filled the quiet room. After speaking for a few minutes, he suddenly remembered, "Why did you call me? I thought you returned to Berlin and wouldn't be back for a while."

There was a long silence over the line, and just as Qi Mu thought the man wouldn't answer, he suddenly heard Min Chen sigh, "It's nothing. Just. . . I just found out you weren't home. I'll be going back to Berlin tomorrow. There's something I have to do."

Qi Mu nodded with confusion and just happened to see a small moth flapping its wings in front of the score. He automatically waved his hand to drive it away and turned to close the window at the corner of the room. Behind the music room was a small garden of flowers. It was common for bugs to wander in if the window wasn't shut.

When Qi Mu closed the window, a sudden thought flashed through his mind, and he asked on reflex, "Did you call me. . . because you found another bug again?"

Min Chen: ". . ."

Qi Mu realized this joke wasn't funny and said, "I'm just kidding, don't mind me."

Min Chen: ". . ."

After exchanging a few more words, Qi Mu hung up the phone. He first read the whole score then whispered helplessly, "It's really not easy." He began to practice the piece.

What he didn't know is that in a well-furnished high-end apartment in B City, a man was staring silently at a bug the size of his fingernail on his porch.

This staredown lasted for five minutes. Finally, he closed the door and turned to walk away without hesitation.

Where was he going?

A hotel, of course!

Don't you see that big bug on the floor?!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 72.9K 59
𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞〢𝐁𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 〈𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 1〉 𝑶𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
4.1M 171K 63
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...
1M 26.9K 51
'I-I am pregnant with your child Sandro!' She had repeated those words a hundred times in her head and yet now that the man was sitting I front of he...
1.2M 56.2K 40
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ~ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝟏 Aleena Noor, a Bangladeshi girl with an elated heart, discovers the new chapter of her life. I...