The Prince, the Thief & the A...

By amba9999

Summer is a thief with morals and an outcast in her town. She finds a pendant floating in the creek one eveni... More

Chapter 1: The Thief
Chapter 2: The Prince
Chapter 3: The Artifact
Chapter 4: Found
Chapter 5: Revelation
Chapter 6: Sneaking Out
Chapter 7: A Glimpse into Summer
Chapter 8: Bandits
Chapter 9: A New World
Chapter 10: An Assassination Attempt?
Chapter 11: Scout
Chapter 12: Bear
Chapter 13: Arrows
Chapter 14: Underwater
Chapter 15: Heart to Heart
Chapter 16: Kill
Chapter 17: A Prisoner Again
Chapter 18: Broken Promise
Chapter 19: Victor
Chapter 20: Lily
Chapter 22: Chocolate
Chapter 23: Fight
Chapter 24: A Lesson
Chapter 25: Captain Holloway
Chapter 26: Castle Walls

Chapter 21: Skipping Stones

379 40 10
By amba9999

Summer had had enough rest. 

Felix had recommended she keep to her room for at least a week. She had several injuries and stitches, but they were mostly healed. Her body was still sore, but if she stayed inside a moment longer, she would go insane.

The view from her window teased her every day. The castle sat atop a massive hill, surrounded by a wooded area that everyone called the Gardens. They were larger than gardens, though, more of a small forest sloping downward between the castle and the first layer of fortified walls.

Between the first and second perimeter were located various buildings and training yards. Summer could see from her window down there. People looked small and insignificant, like ants, against the expanse of the sprawling city surrounding the castle walls.

The city stretched out as far as the eye could see. It was larger than anything she imagined. She wished she could go explore.

Ida had told her she wasn't a prisoner, but that she would appreciate it if Summer didn't simply up and leave until they could figure out the mystery of the stolen artifact and the people behind it.

Summer didn't want to put Ida or Leon in any awkward position with their superiors. Besides, Ida also informed her that Rose was in the city. Her son, Berry, was receiving proper medical attention and he was already getting better. Summer couldn't wait to see her friend. They had to make plans for the future. Maybe they could stay in the capital and find work. She knew Rose would love working for a seamstress. Maybe if they gathered enough money, they could get Rose her own shop. Rose would love that.

Fed up with her luxurious confinement, Summer ventured out of her room after Lily left. She would go explore, but she would limit herself to the Gardens.

Finding the way out was easy enough. She'd remembered the way she and Ida had come through.

The hallways of the castle were filled with people dressed in a wide variety of clothing, servants and maids, soldiers and guards, some elegantly dressed civilians.

She made sure not to draw attention to herself. The dress Lily had brought her helped her blend in better. It was not something she was used to wearing. But it was the best thing she'd ever put on her body.

Made of a flowy material of pale yellow, a color that Lily said contrasted beautifully with her eyes, the dress had long cuffed sleeves and flowed down to her ankles. A pale blue ribbon tied around her waist made it easier to move. Her shoes were brown sandals that laced up her shins.

She felt like a girl in this attire. It wasn't a feeling she was used to, and she didn't hate it. Although she was used to moving in pants and boots, it would only take her a bit more time to adapt to movement in a dress.

Besides, she couldn't exactly protest. It was nice of them to provide her with clothes in the first place. Whoever 'they' were.

Summer enjoyed dressing up for a change. Just in this period of time where she lived in a castle, had a luxurious room and a maid of her own, and ate exquisite food. After the twisted darkness her entire life had been since birth, she deserved a break and she would enjoy it. However long it lasted.

Summer stopped along the way to admire a painting or a tapestry work hung on the walls. But in the end, the forest and open air called out to her.

The morning air filled her lungs. Spring was less forgiving here than in her old town in the South. But the bite of the cool wind was still a welcome reprieve from the four walls of her room.

She strolled among tall trees, steering clear of the stone pathways people took. The colorful flowers and variety of unfamiliar plants piqued her curiosity, but not as much as the little shadow trailing her.

Summer smiled. He'd been following her since she stepped out of the main keep. A boy around six or seven.

The fact that he spotted her at all spoke of a great power of observation. Kids usually paid attention to things adults overlooked. Still, the little boy was talented.

Summer slowed her pace and let him trail her until she reached the small lake she glimpsed through the trees from her window. The blue water sparkled under the sun, as if tiny jewels dotted its surface.

Summer stopped for a moment and decided to play. She moved so a tree hid her from the child's view. Then she disappeared.

She backtracked, almost floating on the ground, one of the forest's shadows, until she stood directly behind the boy. His dark head swiveled left and right, looking for her. Summer leaned close to his ear and whispered, "boo!"

The kid jumped five feet up in the air. His wide eyes were a bright blue set in a pale face, framed with dark tousled hair.

He gaped, pointing at her then glanced behind him to where she'd been a minute before.

"Now why are you following me, kid?"

The child blinked, shook his head as his surprise died down and simply stared up at her.

"Don't you have school or something at this time?" Summer asked. The boy was dressed nicely, a crisp brown tunic and black pants, tucked into previously polished boots that held the dusty proof of his venture into the Gardens.

The kid didn't answer. But she knew he heard her. His gaze was intense and sharp. It was vaguely familiar.

Summer glanced behind him at the lake and grinned. "Do you know how to bounce stones on water, kid?"

The kid's frown told her all she needed to know. She gasped. "Blasphemy! Every kid should know how to bounce stones on water. Come along!"

She strode to the lake, crouching to pick up flat stones along the way. The kid hesitated for a few moments, then joined her by the lake. Cautiously watchful.

Summer weighed one stone in her right hand, then threw it into the water. It bounced twice before it sank. She clicked her tongue. "I'm out of practice."

She tried again, the stone bounced four times. She grinned at the kid. "Did you see that?"

He nodded, blue eyes wide and lips slightly ajar. Summer showed him the stones. "The ones that bounce best are the flat, round ones. Like this one, see?"

He reached for it. Summer made it disappear with a flick of her wrist. His eyes widened further. Yep, she still had it.

"Nope, these are mine," Summer said. "Find your own stones."

The kid went on a search, coming back minutes later with bulging pockets. He emptied them on the ground and squatted down to choose. He looked so serious, trying to pick the best stone to throw. Adorable.

Summer joined him and pointed out a few. "These are perfect."

He picked up one and looked at it, then at her.

And that was how she spent her entire morning. Teaching a kid to bounce stones on water, from the flick of the wrist to the best angle to throw. Time went by fast. By noon, both of them were sweaty, red in the face from the sun and exhausted. Summer's shoulder ached, her entire body sore. Yet she was grateful for the exercise. The kid was good company too. He didn't utter a word, but he reacted to everything with an endearing mix of maturity and innocence.

As soon as Summer announced it was noon, the kid dropped his stones and rushed into the trees towards the castle. Hmm. He'd probably skipped some classes.

Summer went back as well. Her hair was a wild mane around her face, and her skin felt flushed from the sun, but she skipped all the way to the castle. She hadn't had such undiluted fun in a while.

As soon as Summer walked into the suite where her room, along with Al and Ida's, was located, Lily came rushing her way.

"My lady! Where have you been? My goodness, what have you done to your hair? You said you would only be an hour. It's past noon!"

She took Summer's arm and rushed her towards her room. "We have to get you in a presentable state. What would everyone say about me?! That I didn't even have your hair done. You'll be the death of me-"

"Why are we rushing, Lily?" Summer asked as they rounded the corner leading to her room.

"Because you have to be at lunch with hi-" Lily coughed. "With Lady Ida and Lord Al and- and-"

"Leon?" Summer offered. Lily nodded vigorously, a dark curl popped out of her bun and bounced. Ida stepped out of her room while they were walking past it, they almost collided.

"Oh, you're here," Ida said, looking as impeccable as ever, her sword sheathed at her hip, her mid thigh tunic a dark green matching her pants.

"You look lovely," Ida said, scanning Summer from head to toe. "You're taking good care of her, Lily."

Lily's grin was so big it was a wonder her face didn't split. She was bursting with pride.

"I can take good care of myself," Summer said.

"Of course you can. Come on," Ida said. "We're having lunch with Leon. He, too, is being childish about staying in bed."

"What do you mean, 'too'?" Summer asked as she fell in step with Ida. Lily trailing behind them.

Ida shot her a pointed look. "Felix ordered you to stay in bed for at least a week. It's been three days."

"I'm fine. If I stay in bed any longer, I'll go mad." Summer glanced back at Lily. "You're having lunch with us, too, Lily?"

Lily giggled. "No, my lady! I'm going to make sure you take your medicine with the food."

"Right," Summer mumbled.

Ida smiled. "You're getting used to life in a castle."

Summer made a face. "spare me."

Ida chuckled. The hallway ended in a flight of stairs leading up. Other than this morning's outing, Summer had never strayed out of her room. So she was unfamiliar with the path they took.

Summer let her hand glide over the dark wooden railing, the carvings on it tickling her fingers. The stairs ended in a landing where two men, guards with swords at their hips and spears in their hands, stood on either side of large double doors. Their spears met in front of the door, crossing there and blocking their way.

As they approached, though, the guards nodded at Ida and cleared the way, one of them opening the door for them.

"Rose wants to see you," Ida said.

Summer perked up. "Can she come here?"

"Yes, with the proper permission. I'll take care of it."

"Thank you." Summer grinned. She missed her friend.

They entered a long hallway that ended with another door and two more guards.

"Where are we having lunch?" Summer whispered.

Ida nodded at the guard who opened the door. "In Leon's suite."

Summer arched her brow. He had a suite all to his own? He was clearly a very important figure.

The doors opened to a large, circular room. Colorful carpets covered the floor, plush chairs and tables scattered in an orderly fashion around the space, the pale wood contrasting with the vibrant blues and golds of the seats. A fireplace stood large and dark on one side.

Ida led the way to the doors across the room. This time there were no guards. They went through another hallway, then into a dining room with a long table covered in a crisp white cloth, filled with mouthwatering dishes.

Two chandeliers hung high above the table, but sunlight drenched the room, pouring in through the wide open balcony doors.

A maid and a servant stood against the wall, dressed immaculately. A man, who Summer had once seen before, stood behind the chair at the head of the table. Dark blond hair slicked back, wearing a crisp uniform of dark blue and standing straight backed, his hands clasped behind him.

Lily went on to stand alongside the servants. Summer happened to glance at Lily. The young girl's cheeks were bright pink. She stared through her lashes at the man at the head of the table like the sun rose and set on him. Well, well, well...

Leon and Al walked through the balcony doors. They paused when they spotted her. Al arched his brows. "A dress? really?"

Asshole. Summer grinned at him and did a curtsey, "Why? You don't like it? I picked it up especially for you."

He rolled his eyes. Leon sat at the head of the table. Ida and Al on either side of him. Summer sat next to Ida.

No one made any move to start eating. So Summer fisted her hands in her lap so that she didn't reach for the food. She was starving.

"Logan," Leon said. The man behind him nodded at the servants and they served the food. Lily made sure to mix the nasty powder Felix had left her into a glass of water and put it in front of Summer. She drank it in one go. It was a small consolation that she wasn't the only one who had to take foul medication. Leon drank his without wincing.

"How are you feeling, Summer?" Leon asked.

"Great," she replied absentmindedly before shoving a forkful of meat in her mouth. It melted in her mouth. Mhm.

"Good, we can go visit the witness then."

Summer hastily swallowed her food. "What witness?"

"The only guard who has survived the heist of the artifact," Ida replied. "He's been injured badly, but he's alive and well now. He will be here after lunch."

"To see if he recognizes me?" Summer asked.

"Yes," Al replied. Summer smiled a little too sweetly at Al. Stifling a twinge of anger and hurt, she continued eating.

A loud sigh from the head of the table. "Logan, we can take care of things from here."

"Yes, your- my lord." Logan bowed, then he and the servants filed out of the room, closing the door behind them.

"The witness is a formality," Leon said. Summer looked at him. He looked a lot less dead compared to his state in the forest after their little dip in the river, but he still looked exhausted, his cheekbones were sharp against his skin. Dark circled his eyes. I guess knocking on death's door would have that effect on people.

"Leon is now in charge of the investigation," Ida added. "Even if he himself believes you're not connected to the heist, he has to follow the correct procedure. The artifact was found with you, and so naturally everyone will suspect your involvement."

"So I'm free as soon as the witness says he's never seen me."

Al chuckled, put down his fork and knife with a clatter and leaned forward, his eyes full of suspicion, "So we'll just pretend that one of those men back there didn't recognize you? What do you have to say about that?"

Ida rubbed her temple. Leon sighed and looked at the ceiling. "Al."

Summer's tart reply died on her lips as a memory flashed in her head.

"You're her kid, aren't you? you must be her daughter, the resemblance is undeniable. I heard a long time ago she had a child."

His words had been buried deep in her memory with everything else going on. Now Al's accusations made it all come back.

"Summer," Ida called. "Summer?"

Summer shook her head and looked at Ida, her eyes wide. "I know why."

--- ---- ---

Thoughts?

I hope you enjoyed it! Vote and comment if you did. I appreciate it.

Much love <3 <3 <3

M.B.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 166 43
Far to the north lies a land in black and white. A curse lies upon it, robbing its people of their courage, free will and emotion to lock them in thr...
828 131 73
UPDATES EVERY TUESDAY AND THURSDAY! In the mystical realm of Veridara, Rhea, a witch with untapped potential, unwittingly steps into a prophecy that...
13.6K 1.3K 52
Skylar didn't know what was happening when Claire suddenly showed up at her doorstep. Her best friend begged her to help save her dad. Though hesitan...