Raat Akeli Hai | 𝒂𝒏𝒖𝒓𝒂𝒋

By karlengeyaar

❝ nafrat ki aadh mein ishq karna bhi ek hunar hai ❞ • Anupamaa almost indifferent to the aches of the world... More

𝐈. cheeni zyada
𝐈𝐈. indifference & hate
𝐈𝐈𝐈. dard aur nafrat
𝐕. hero aur villain
𝐕𝐈. same same but different
𝐕𝐈𝐈. lost and found
𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. aakhri pyaar
IX. promise and war
X. closure and closed
XI. the lost one's ode
XII. beginning of the end
XIII. questions and warnings
XIV. apna bana le
XV. nayi shuruwat
XVI. the audition
XVII. a jealous flirt
XVIII. ex ki shaadi
𝐈𝐕. fight yet lose
XIX. drunken affection
XX. the dream
XXI. reunion and film
XXII. revengeful dance
XXIII. revenge for revenge
XXIV. dark secret & the letter
XXV. valentine : kalesh & poetry
XXVI. pehla pyaar, beeta kal
XXVII. feverish memories
XXVIII. abhi na jao chod kar
XXIX. "mere liye aayi?"
XXX. heartless birthdays
XXXI. trauma and ring
XXXII. war with oneself
XXXIII. letting him
XXXIV. personal red forest
XXXV. ziddi baccha & princess
XXXVI. redemption
XXXVII. generational talent
XXXVIII. eye - reading
XXXIX. lovestruck idiots
XXXX. surprise proposal
XXXXI. ek din aap yun
XXXXII. fix it
XXXXIV. choose you
XXXXV. unidentified & therapy
XXXXVI. destroy & save
XXXXVII. the end battle for love
XXXXVIII. to stay & to bail
XXXXIX. the owner of a dream
L. history may not repeat
LI. a dream victory
LII. bade acche lagte hai
LIII. to cut all ties
LIV. perfect couple
LV. "har janam, har jahan"
LV - part II | 18+
LVI. what is true love?
LVII. cruel destiny
LVIII. lag jaa gale
LIX. justice & the moon
LX. ghost of you
LXI. twin flames
LXII. broken & re-found
LXIII. ibadat

XXXXIII. you did well, my love

145 19 75
By karlengeyaar

dimple :

I stared at my own reflection in the mirror.
Somehow, the eyes that should have shone with glee, seemed hollow.
What was all this tragedy?
I was marrying a man who loved me, waited for me, and still I did not seem happy.
"You look really beautiful, Dimpy.", Kinjal bhabhi said beaming. I forced a smile.
Diwan had told me how Kinjal had been Sumedh's first love.
And he too had waited.
Yet he never made it a point to even remotely inform anyone about it.
I would have happily believed he still loved her and moved on, with a less forced smile, had he not confessed in a drunken fit.

He had said he loved me.
Why should he though?
He is rich, he is handsome, he could have anyone.
Why his late brother's widowed wife who already has been divorced once before?
Who would want that kind of baggage in their lives? Especially when they have so much better options!

Except that dilemma, I knew, I could not say no to Titu.
How could I deny a man who loved and waited for me?
I should be grateful for his love. He was even ready to be Ghar Jamai, just for me.

I inhaled deeply, gulped nervously, and stood up.
I wore a turquoise lehenga, matched with beautiful platinum and diamond jewellery. Diwan had informed me, they had been meticulously chosen by Sumedh.
"It is time for the engagement.", Someone said, and I nodded.

Of course, it was.
Sumedh and I had met by chance, obviously, there was no way our lives could be one.

.

vanraj :

I stood beside Anupamaa, holding back my urge to wrap an arm around her waist and let the world know she was mine.
She glanced up at me, with that enchanting smile.
Woman could single handedly shut all therapists' chambers with that smile.

"Look at Aadhya.. she is sitting with the kids and talking.", She said.
Indeed, Aadhya was sitting with Pari, Mahi and Ishani talking about something while Ansh made narrowed eyes feeling left out in the women's conversation.
"My poor baccha Ansh.. he has been crushed under the overwhelming female population.", I said sighing.
"Aww..", Anupamaa said grinning as she slipped her hand into mine.

I held it immediately.
The intimacy of such subtle touch was different.

After a while Pakhi came downstairs. She paused below the staircase. She glanced at Anupamaa, but immediately tore her gaze off her and walked down to the kids.
I could say, something had changed in her.
In all these years, she had been particularly heartless, but now.. something seemed different, as she sat beside the kids.
"Do you think she will forgive me?", Anupamaa asked softly.
"Give her the time.", I said, as Pakhi took Ishani onto her lap.

A shocker for most people, really.

"Trust her. She is your daughter, after all.", I added, warmly.
"Yes, but she has a lot of you too. Especially the temper.", Anupamaa said sighing.
"You know how my temper is. It is strong, but when it starts melting, it disappears almost instantly.", I replied as her lips curved into a wider smile.

"Have you seen Sumedh? He does not look fine.", She said, her brows furrowing in concern as she shifted her gaze to Sumedh, standing by the podium for the bride and groom, looking down indistinctly.
"I noticed too. I asked his assistant Diwan, but he did not tell me anything. And Sumedh.. well.. is not too much of an extrovert.", I said honestly, sighing.
"Hmm.. But I have seen Dimpy a little off as well. I went upstairs a while back and she.. just did not look happy. She too did not give a reason.", Anupamaa said sighing.

Back into her family, she found herself surrounded by a vast number of unaddressed problems.
But, I knew, my presence was of comfort to her.
So irrespective of all the people who stared at us, I pulled her to myself and wrapped an arm around her waist.

"Mister Joshi! What is this behaviour?!", She snapped in mock anger, fake-trying to edge away.
"No way you just called me Mister Joshi. My Sasurji would be looking down miserably.", I said grinning back as I looked down at her.
"Why? He would be happy that is to-be Damadji is taking up his surname.", She said, full of attitude.
"Baba always wanted me to marry a good man. Doesn't matter if he is not rich or doesn't have a big house, but he should never let go off me.", She said nostalgically.

I knew very little of her father. He had passed away when she was sixteen, was all that I knew.

"I am definitely passing his Damad standards because I am hopelessly obsessed with his daughter.", I replied, softly kissing the top of her head.
"Uff.. so much love.", We heard from behind and immediately moved away, looking on two different sides.

"Arrey arrey.. did I spoil the romance?", Devika said casually striding between both of us, grinning like she had won a lottery.
"Who the hell called you here? I am sure you were not on the guest list.", I said irritably.
"Haww.. what is this behaviour to-be Jijaji?", She said dramatically, as she put her hand on my shoulder.
Anupamaa facepalmed herself in embarrassment.
"I am your only saali, apart from Kavya of course."

I chocked on plain air and started coughing.

"Uff Devika! Don't tell me you-"
"Obviously she told me.", Kavya said joining into the embarrassment and making me want to dig myself a 12 feet hole and bury myself.
Kavya went and stood beside Anupamaa as if they were long lost sisters.
"Not that I did not know Vanraj would run behind you after divorcing me.. but still. I never thought you'd agree.", She said, the obvious shock in her tone.
"Arrey Jijaji went through so much pain to win back our Anu.. Got beaten up, got rejected on the face, then got whipped for all his bad doings.. but the best part definitely was him stalking Anu like a simp.. isn't it?", Devika said grinning.

"I have important work.", I stammered like an idiot to get out of the place.
I definitely related to Ansh now.
The overwhelming female population could be crushing.

"Arrey arrey.. important work is here only Jijaji.. We will leave. Haina Kavya?", Devika said in her usual teasing tone.
"Ha ha obviously.. we don't want to be the kabab mein haddi.", Kavya replied before finally leaving, giggling all the while.

I looked at Anu with a red face and embarrassed smile.
"Now don't look at me like that Mister Joshi.. You are marrying me, you will have to take the teasing from my besties as well.", She said beaming.
She glowed differently.
And I loved her glow.

"The engagement is going to start!", We heard on the mic as she finally diverted our attention to other matters.
I felt Anu wrap her hand around my arm and resting her head on my shoulder.

"When we remarry.. we will also have a big engagement ceremony, okay?", She said softly.
She spoke like it was going to be her first marriage.
I smiled to myself.
A man of my words I had been, I had promised to take her back to the nineteen year old self she had been.. and here she was.

"Okay.", I said with the smile intact.
Everyone stood up and got ready.
Titu and Dimpy climbed onto the stage.

"We should go forward, you know.", I said.
"Naah.. Let Kinjal and Toshu do this bit. After us, it is both of them who will have to take up all responsibility. We won't be here forever, you know.", She said straightening up, still holding my hand.
I nodded.
She did have a point.
Although I hated to accept it, I would have to step back eventually.

Kinjal placed the tray of rings before them.
Titu immediately picked up Dimpy's ring.
Dimpy stood, out of focus. As if immersed in thought.
And Sumedh stared at her.
That look - I knew quite well.
Before I could proceed with my thread of thoughts, there was a noise.

"EVERYONE GET OUT OF HERE! THE MANSION IS UNDER ATTACK!", Someone announced.
Everyone turned, including us.
And then an abrupt rush started, everyone started running to the door.
Sumedh immediately hopped off the podium and rushed to the door.
Diwan rushed down to us.
"Sir Ma'am.. you need to leave right now.", He said urgently.
"First explain what has happened.", Anupamaa said immediately.
"It is a long story, ma'am. For now.. we are under an almost terrorist attack, the police will take time to come. They will leave no one alive.", He said before rushing past us.

Anupamaa and I glanced at each other.
And the decision was made.

We were escorting everyone out first, and only then leaving.
We nodded together, an agreement made through eyes.

"You go right, I go left. And we make sure every single family member is out of here."
She had said, without saying it.
And I agreed.

I ran to the left.
Baa Bapuji looked around panicked.
"Come with me..", I said immediately as I pulled both of them with me.
I heard Baa asking what had happened, but I did not have an answer.
Kinjal and Toshu followed immediately.
I noticed Anu take Pakhi, Ansh and the other kids out through the crowd.

I safely escorted Baa Bapuji out, the others were rushing out too.
"Everyone's out?", I asked Anu.
The attackers were not in sight yet, or were they entering from somewhere?
Who knew.

"No..Choti.. she is inside.", She stammered, looking pale.
"And Pari too!", Kinjal added, panicked.
I looked in front.
Everyone else was out.
Only Aadhya and Pari were missing.

"Fine.. you stay out. I am going and finding-"
"No no.. I will come along.", She said immediately.
"Anu.. Sumedh is also not here.. Someone has to stay.."
"No! I cannot let you go in alone! What if they attack from behind?!", She snapped fiercely.
I nodded as both of us rushed back into the rather isolated mansion now.

Titu had suddenly vanished, I noticed.
Dimpy was outside.
Sumedh too, was nowhere around.
The mansion suddenly seemed eerie.

"Choti!", Anu shouted, her voice echoed, "Pari!"
I looked around, desperately searching.
She was on the edge of tears.
"Choti-"

"Is this who you are searching for?", We heard from behind as the door shut firmly.
Both of us turned.
Two men stood before us, face covered with a mask.
One of them held Aadhya, the other held Pari.
Pistols in hand, pointed to Aadhya's and Pari's head.

They struggled under the grip but to no avail.
Anupamaa froze. My heart paced wildly.
"Who are you?! What do you want?!", I shouted, as men suddenly rushed into the large hallroom.
"Revenge for betrayal.", Replied another man.
"What betrayal?", I asked.
"Sumedh has betrayed the gang. He has been a double agent! Badshah has come to know of it.. and now, we are going to destroy everything he loves.", The man holding Aadhya said.

"Double agent?", Anupamaa whispered, snapping out.
"So both of you don't know.", The voice was from right behind us.
We turned to find a man, casually walking down the staircase.

I stared at him.
He looked oddly familiar.
The tall frame, jet black eyes, chiseled look and a white suit with a broach.
The broach looked very familiar as well.

"Who are you?!", Anupamaa asked fiercely, "Leave my daughter!"
"Ah ha.. It is lovely to meet you, finally.", The man said casually as he walked down to us.
And then he looked at me.
"Don't tell me you forgot me, Comrade.", He said with a charming smile.
Comrade.
The word I had heard.

"Oh come on..", He sighed, "Fine.. National Defence Academy, 1992. Remember? We were on a hill climbing mission and my foot slipped.. you almost risked your life to save me."
I stared at me.
"1992?", I asked softly, almost a whisper.
That was ages ago.
But I remembered NDA.
"You left NDA because your father was suddenly ill.", He added. He looked at Anupamaa.
"Your man was the best shooter among us. His hold over the rifle was so good that even I wanted training from him.. So tragic that he had to leave."

And then I remembered.

"Samrat Sehgal.", I whispered.
"Ah ha!", He said, happily.
"Obviously you remember me.. Anyways it's not too difficult. Samrat, Badshah.. Badshah, Samrat.. just synonyms aren't they?", He said grinning.

I stared at his broach.
It was made of city gold.
A lion face.

"You still have it?", I asked softly.
"Had to keep it. My only friend had presented it to me.", He said dusting it.

Anupamaa stared at me.
She obviously had not known of the best few months of my life.
"Your boy too had your spark.. No really. What a wonderful shooter he is! Not a single bullet loses it's target.. and the fighting skills! Wonderful! He had all the needed talented to be the greatest Mafia.. but guess what he chose?", He said.

"Mafia?", I asked softly.
"Obviously. Who do you think I am?", Samrat asked.
"Nevermind.. Sumedh could have been my successor.. but no! He chose to join RAW! And he was playing double agent with us! For years!", He said spitefully, looking down.

Anupamaa suddenly pulled my finger.
I looked at her.
She indicated towards the staircase.
Sumedh stood behind it, he had a rifle in his hand. The jacket he wore was bulletproof.
He placed a finger on his lips.

Suddenly, all this information was overwhelming.
I drew in a deep breath.

"Although I feel bad for your other kid.. Samar.. but forgive me, old friend.", Samrat said, "I will have to kill Sumedh as well."

Both Anupamaa and I held silence.
We knew, if we tried to fight back, the thirty men surrounding us wouldn't think twice before shooting.
Especially with Aadhya and Pari on a literal gunpoint, we could not risk it.

"But.. I want this to be fun.", Samrat said walking past me.
Both of us turned.
"I will give you both a chance.. You can save one of the kids.", He said casually.
"Who would you choose? Your own blood.. or well, an adopted kid?"

My fingers touched Anupamaa's, her fingers were ice cold.
I knew she had a haunting Deja vu.
I drew in a deep breath.
"Choose both of you.. And if you don't.. both die.", He added.

A tear rolled down Anupamaa's eye.
Her answer was clear.
She was not going to choose one.

I gulped.
My heart screamed Pari's name.
But Aadhya too was my responsibility. I had called her here. And despite everything, she was Anu's daughter.
By extension, mine too.

"What happened Vanraj? It's an easy choice buddy.", Samrat said grinning.
"Parents don't choose among their children.", I said immediately.
Anu looked up at me.
She had not expected the answer.
I felt her cold fingers entwine with mine.
Her touch seemed like a relief.

"Then both of them must be killed.", Samrat sighed.
Just then I felt something pass right beside me.
And then we heard a scream.
The man holding Pari had been shot on the head from right behind me.

Sumedh, it was.
Definitely a star shooter.
The men went in an immediate disarray.

Samrat noticed Sumedh and rushed towards him.
Taking the opportunity both Anu and I ran forwards.
My gaze fell on Aadhya's eyes.
They were fixed on Anu.
Although she was not choosing, to Aadhya, this was Anu's moment of choice.

Pari stood frozen, and Aadhya was almost struggling out of the man's grip.
I wanted to tell Anu, this was her chance.
This was where she could prove she loved Aadhya and fix everything.

Anu glanced back at me, and I immediately indicated towards Aadhya.
Her choice too had been that as we crossed paths.

I immediately pulled Pari into my embrace. Pari curled up in my arms, holding onto me tightly.
Anu pulled Aadhya out from the man's grip.
The man shoot in air, the bullet grazed past Anu's arm.
She winced but did not give up.
"Anu!", I shouted, picking up the rifle by my foot.
Aadhya instantly hugged Anupamaa, tightly, sobbing.

From the noises from behind, it was obvious that Sumedh had brought in reinforcements.
The man lifted his gun to shoot her.
I immediately adjusted the rifle.

It had been years.
Nevertheless, I did not have a choice.
I shot.
The bullet struck the man's neck as he fell immediately.

Anupamaa stared at him fall, petrified.
I lifted Pari, she wrapped her arms around my neck instantly and I rushed down to Anu.
"Anu.. take both of them and leave.", I said, knowing bullets flew behind us.
"I cannot leave Sumedh alone in this mess.", I added.
Anupamaa snapped out.
"I-I can't.. ", She mumbled.
"You are bleeding Anu!", I said.
Anu nodded into a strict 'no'.
"I will not leave my son here either. I lost my Samar.. I cannot lose him too..", She stammered.
"I.. I will take Pari and go out.", Aadhya volunteered, straightening up, wiping her tears.

I gulped.
Obviously there was no other option.

I nodded as I put Pari down.
Aadhya immediately held her hand, and dragged her behind her.

The men were too busy to notice as Aadhya opened the door slightly and pushed Pari out first, and then followed her.
Anu bent down and picked up a gun.

"Anu.. this.. this is not-"

"Maa!", We heard from our side.
"Sumedh!", Anupamaa screamed as she ran towards the crowd of men and bullets.
I had too much to lose in this gamble.
Yet, I did not have a choice.

I ran into the crowd behind her.
.

anupamaa :

I ran in blindsighted.
My son had called my name.

"Sumedh!", I shouted.
I clutched onto the gun in my hand. It was a pistol.
I did not even know how it functioned, yet I somehow held it.

"Maa!", I heard him gasping.
I paused, staring at the scene before me.
That man called Samrat had his gun to my son's head.

"Your mother cannot save you, boy.", He said casually.
Sumedh looked at me, eyes bloodshot. He was bruised, hit on the face, he was bleeding as well.
My heart wrenched.
A rage took over me.

I immediately ran down to them.
And pointed the gun to Samrat.

"Leave my son.", I said, the coldness in my voice, I had never heard before.
Samrat looked at me.
Amused.
"Do you even know how that works?", He asked, indicating towards the gun.
"LEAVE MY SON!", I shouted.
Samrat pointed his gun towards me.

"Don't! Don't hurt her! This is between us!", Sumedh shouted, his voice raspy.
My vision was blurring with tears.
"I hate intervention.", Samrat said.
"Leave her, Samrat.", I heard Mister Shah from behind.
Samrat looked past me, at him.
"Don't play Vanraj. You know I won't miss my aim from this close.", He said with a wicked smirk.

"I don't know what went wrong with you, Samrat.. I don't know why you chose to become this. But I swear, if you hurt either of them, I will tear you apart.", Mister Shah said from behind. Holding up his rifle.
Samrat's smirk widened.

He was focussed on Mister Shah.
This was my chance.
I immediately turned the gun, holding the tip. It's base protruding out.
And I struck right on Samrat's neck.
He had not expected it, for moments he lost balance.

I immediately rushed down to Sumedh, who was gasping for breath, lying on the floor, in a pool of blood.
I pulled him onto my lap.
"Maa is here..", I sobbed, as he immediately clutched my hand.
"I-I need medical help..", He mumbled, dragging himself onto my lap.
For the first time, he had shown signs of vulnerability.
He needed his mother.
I pulled his head to my chest, pulling him close.
I must take him out.
I could not lose him.

Samrat turned to attack me. He looked barbaric.
"Maa.. ", I heard Sumedh whisper, holding onto me tightly.
I suddenly felt helpless.
I shut my eyes, letting my tears fall.
My mind had suddenly given up, my son was dying.. and I was helpless, unable to do anything at all. I sat helplessly frozen.
I was still the terrible mother, wasn't I?

"Samrat!", I heard Mister Shah's voice.
And before Samrat could turn, a bullet pierced him.
I heard his shrill scream.
I opened my eyes.
Samrat had been shot on the head.

"ALL OF BADSHAH'S MEN! YOUR LEADER IS DEAD!", He screamed through the noise.
Just then the main door of the mansion opened.
The US police rushed in.

Mister Shah left his rifle and ran down to us.
"Papa..", Sumedh mumbled, struggling.
"We will get out of here right now..", Mister Shah said looking up at me. He immediately held Sumedh's hand.
"Nothing will happen.", He added as he slowly made Sumedh stand. He clutched onto his father, inhaling deeply.
The US police rushed down to them.

I stared, still sitting on the floor.
Somehow my whole body seemed to have frozen with the shock.

The police took Sumedh, a stretcher was brought in, and he was taken immediately to the hospital.
Mister Shah stood, watching him go.
I knew he was afraid to death, his heart was probably skipping beats. Did he even take his medicines this morning?
Yet, my body did not seem to function.
He looked down at me.

What was that look in his eyes?
Was he accusing me for being absolutely useless?

He bent before me.
I stared at him, through my blur of tears.
"I failed, isn't it? I am a bad mother..", I mumbled.
He said nothing as he pulled me into his embrace.
"You.. you will not blame me?", I whispered, "I-I saved Aadhya first.. but.. but look at Sumedh.. he-he was crying for me.. and I could do nothing..", I stammered.

"Everything is fine, Anu.", He whispered, "Our son will be fine. Nothing will happen to him."
I immediately wrapped my arms around him, burying my face in his chest.
Breaking into silent sobs.

I felt him rubbing my back.
"You saved Sumedh, Anu. You saved Aadhya as well.. You saved everyone.", He whispered,
"Thank you."
I looked up.
His hazel brown eyes glistened, there were tears.
But there was strange pride in his eyes.
"I wouldn't have been able to do this alone.. Thank you Anu. Thank you for being here, saving our son.. Thank you.", He whispered, as he gently wiped off my tears.

"Mummy!", I heard as he edged away.
Aadhya ran down to me, followed by everyone else.
She bent instantly and hugged me tightly.

"Thank God you are fine..", She whispered, as she sobbed, "Thank God you are fine, Mummy."
Pakhi and Toshu too jogged down to me.
Pakhi hugged me from behind, resting her head on my shoulder.
"I got so scared!", She said hugging me.
Toshu bent before me.
"They haven't left any place for me to hug you..", He said awkwardly, "But thank god you are fine, Mummy.",
He added with a soft smile, looking relieved.

I glanced at Mister Shah, right before me.
He looked at me with a soft smile.

"You did well, my love.", His eyes said.
I smiled back.

...

a long, kaafi full of action chapter.
drop in your views!
this one actually addresses a lot of things, one is aadhya's trauma of her mummy not choosing her first, then anu's guilt of not being able to save samar as well as vanraj's guilt of the same; it addresses anu's fear that she'd be blamed and she isn't a good mother despite doing everything she could.

and I added that lil 1992 backstory to vannu because, idk, he has a very army like face and I wanted a deeper connection between him and badshah's character.

and also, it shows sumedh's arc subtly.
although not too expressive, he loves his mother deeply - just like samar - and calls for her when he needs someone.

the last scene is my personal favourite although sumedh is missing, but it includes all her kids according to the serial's plotline so..

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

798K 31.9K 59
"If you are reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad you are very likely to be at risk of a malware attack. If you wish to read th...
167K 10.8K 64
#Book 2 Because of Nandani's condition Mamta decides to marry off her childrens, and her childrens abide by her decision. She chose her brother's dau...
1.2M 46.5K 56
An heir. That is what Arhaan Ahuja and his toxic family ever wanted. Arhaan had been born in a very toxic family and was brought up with old, orthodo...
55.4K 4.8K 29
[Complete] " This feeling is so beautiful. Yes, i felt it today. I...I.. love you" She twirled around in utter happiness and being on cloud nine. " D...