Crossing hearts

By snow12346_

Lily thought her life was perfect with her boyfriend, Colin-her best friend and constant support. But when sh... More

Chapter 1: Haunting beginning
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue

Chapter 18

0 0 0
By snow12346_

Lily sat in her dorm room, the soft glow of the morning light filtering through the curtains. She felt lighter, more at ease since her night with Zane. They had shared their fears and vulnerabilities.

Just as she was lost in thought, her phone rang. The name on the screen made her heart sink—Mom.

"Hey, Mom," she answered, trying to keep her voice steady.

"Lily, I'm coming to visit tomorrow," her mother stated, her tone businesslike.

"Wait, why? What's wrong?" Lily asked, her stomach twisting with anxiety.

"I just think it's time we had a talk. Be ready," her mother replied, her voice firm.

"Okay..." Lily said, uncertainty creeping in. As soon as she hung up, a wave of dread washed over her. She couldn't shake the feeling that this conversation would change everything.

Sitting on her bed, Lily couldn't help but think about Zane. She recalled their late-night talks, the way he had opened up to her, sharing his fears and scars. It broke her heart to see him misunderstood, always labeled as the bad boy. He was so much more than that—he was sensitive, thoughtful, and real.

Why couldn't people see him the way she did? Why couldn't he see himself the way she saw him? She wished she could show him the goodness that lay beneath his tough exterior. All she wanted was for him to know that he was worthy of love, that he didn't have to bear the weight of his past alone.

Later, when she met Zane at the park, the sun was setting, painting the sky in shades of orange and pink. Zane leaned against his car, a smile breaking through her anxiety.

"Hey, how's it going?" he asked, his eyes searching hers.

"I got a call from my mom," Lily said, the tension returning to her shoulders.

"What did she say?" Zane's expression turned serious.

"She's coming to visit tomorrow. I don't know what to expect," she confessed, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt.

"Hey, it'll be okay," Zane reassured her, taking her hands in his. "Maybe she just misses you."

"But what if she's upset about us?" Lily bit her lip, worry etched on her face.

Zane stepped closer, cupping her face gently. "Whatever it is, we'll figure it out together. I'm here for you, Lily."

She nodded, feeling a little calmer under his touch. "Thanks, Zane. That means a lot."

The next day, they met at a café. Lily's heart raced as she spotted her mother at a corner table, her expression stern. She took a deep breath, steeling herself before walking over.

"Mom," Lily greeted, trying to sound cheerful.

"Lily," her mother replied coolly, her gaze sharp. "I heard everything from Collins."

Lily felt her heart drop. "What do you mean?"

"I didn't expect this from you. Leaving Collins for a guy like Zane?" Her mother's voice dripped with disbelief.

"Mom, you don't understand," Lily began, her voice trembling.

"I don't understand?" her mother interrupted. "You think you can just throw away your friendship with Collins for a boy who has a reputation? You won't find anyone better than him."

"Zane is not like that!" Lily exclaimed, frustration boiling over. "He's someone I really care about."

"Care about? He's trouble, Lily! You have to realize that," her mother insisted, her tone sharp as a knife. "He'll hurt you. He's a bad boy."

Lily felt her heart race. "You don't even know him! You only see what everyone else sees. Zane is so much more than that. He's misunderstood, just like I was when I was younger. I wish you could see him the way I do."

Her mother's eyes widened in shock. "I can't believe you're defending him. You think this is love? You're young, you don't know what you want."

"But I do know!" Lily cried out, tears threatening to spill. "I want to be with him! You can't choose who I want to be with!"

"Lily..." her mother started, her voice softer now, but Lily was done with the conversation.

"No, Mom. You need to meet him to understand. You have to see who he really is," Lily asserted, standing her ground.

"Fine," her mother finally relented, her expression unreadable. "Let's meet him then."

As they arranged the meeting, Lily's heart raced with anxiety and determination. She was ready to show her mother the real Zane—the person who had touched her heart in ways she never thought possible.

Later, at the appointed time, Zane arrived at the café, his usual confidence momentarily replaced by uncertainty as he spotted Lily and her mother.

"Zane," Lily said, gesturing for him to join them.

"Hey," he replied, his gaze flickering to Lily's mother.

"Zane, this is my mom," Lily introduced, her voice steady despite the tension in the air.

"Nice to meet you," Zane said, his tone polite, but his eyes were wary.

"Nice to meet you too," her mother replied, her gaze sharp. "I hope you understand how much I care for my daughter."

"I do," Zane replied, keeping his voice calm. "I care about Lily."

"Caring isn't enough, Zane," her mother said, her tone icy. "You need to understand that you're not good for her. You're a bad influence."

Lily felt her anger rising. "Mom, stop! You don't know anything about him. He's been through so much."

"Exactly!" her mother snapped. "And you want to be with someone who has baggage? You deserve better."

Zane looked at Lily, confusion clouding his eyes. "I'm not trying to be a bad influence, I just—"

"Just what?" her mother cut him off. "You think you can come into her life and make it better? You're nothing but trouble!"

Lily felt a surge of anger. "You don't know anything about him! You need to stop judging him and give him a chance. He's trying to be better!"

Her mother's face twisted in disbelief. "Lily, you can't seriously think this is a good idea. You're throwing away everything for someone who doesn't deserve you."

"Mom, this is my life!" Lily shouted, feeling tears brim in her eyes. "You can't control who I choose to be with!"

The tension was palpable, and for a moment, they all sat in silence, the weight of the conversation pressing down on them.

Zane finally broke the silence, looking directly at Lily's mother. "I don't want to hurt her. I'm trying my best, but I need you to understand that Lily is important to me."

Her mother looked at Zane, her expression softening slightly but still guarded. "I just don't want her to get hurt."

"I know," Zane replied quietly. "But I'm not who you think I am."

Lily took a deep breath, her heart racing. "Zane, I believe in you. And I need you to believe in yourself too."

Zane looked at her, his eyes searching hers, and in that moment, everything felt as if it could shift. She was fighting for him, and for their relationship, despite her mother's disapproval.

After an agonizing pause, her mother finally spoke, her voice firm. "I can't condone this relationship, but I love you, Lily. Just promise me you'll be careful."

"I promise," Lily said softly, squeezing Zane's hand under the table. She knew this wouldn't be easy, but she was willing to fight for their love.

As they left the café, Zane turned to Lily, his expression a mix of gratitude and uncertainty. "Thanks for standing up for me."

"I'll always stand up for you, Zane," she replied, determination in her voice. "No matter what."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 5.7K 27
Teenage Girl who Starts Her First day of School,as a Junior at Los Angeles High School. She has a Best Friend Whoms Name is Jacob,Jacob Fall. Theres...
214 1 14
Amanda's life is going alright. She has alot of friends, a boyfriend, her two parents, and a bunch of money. But the day her parents are arrested c...
17.2M 451K 41
Lucille is 17 years old. She does not have many friends. She's always been by herself since she had a hard time making friends. Ethan is also 17 yea...
349 47 36
17 year old Winter has to deal with saving her friends from their messed up lives. She is a tough girl with a humor based personality...along with h...