The Secrets of Ether

By GoldSashimi

"A desire great enough to kill for..." When a mysterious murder occurs in the isolated Sinclair Monastère, th... More

Dedication (Foreword)
Chapter 1: Dissonance (Part 2)
Chapter 2: Shadow Assassin
Chapter 3: Family
Chapter 3.5: Dream
Bonus Post: Fun Facts (1 - 10)
Chapter 4: A Killer Among Us (Part 1)
Chapter 4: A Killer Among Us (Part 2)
Chapter 4: A Killer Among Us (Part 3)
Character Background: Setsuna
Chapter 5: The Violet Witch (Part 1)
Chapter 5: The Violet Witch (Part 2)
Character Background: Yelena
Chapter 6: Exhibition (Part 1)
Chapter 6: Exhibition (Part 2)
Character Background: Margót
Chapter 7: Kunoichi Duel
Chapter 8: Anxious Feelings (Part 1)
Character Background: Olivier
Character Background: Eustis
Chapter 8: Anxious Feelings (Part 2)
Chapter 8: Anxious Feelings (Part 3)
Chapter 9: Interrogation (Part 1)
Chapter 09: Interrogation (Part 2)
Chapter 10: Conspiracy
Chapter 11: For Honor (Part 1)
Chapter 11: For Honor (Part 2)
Bonus Post: Fun Facts (11 - 20)
Chapter 12: Suisei Ayatsuru
Character Background: Ancil
Chapter 13: To Lavande
Bonus Post: Storytelling Technique - Speech Quirks
Chapter 14: Why?
Chapter 15: The Lust For Power

Chapter 1: Dissonance (Part 1)

155 16 162
By GoldSashimi

Setsuna Fuyutsuki grabbed a tray from the beginning of the servery line.

"Mystery Meat again tonight..."

The substance she called "Mystery Meat" maintained the cylindrical shape of the can it came from. The unknown meat was covered in an off putting, brownish slime and smelled like rotten meat. As one would expect, the unidentifiable taste was just as bad.

"C'mon Setsuna, it isn't that bad!"

Setsuna looked at the girl next to her. She was very beautiful: long blonde hair, green eyes, an angelic smile, and a perfect hourglass figure. Her warm personality served as a stark contrast to Setsuna's.

"Yes it is, Yelena. It is that bad." Setsuna responded, picking up the hunk of meat and letting it drip.

"Yeah... you're right."

Setsuna and Yelena went down the line to get the rest of their meal: a small potato, a half slice of rye bread, and a glass of fresh water. The two girls then went to sit down for dinner with their teammates, who were in the middle of a heated argument.

"The Bourgeoisie can't be trusted!" yelled a young brown haired man. "You all promised change after the revolution, only to take the reigns of government for yourselves!"

A blonde headed man replied. "How ignorant are you!? La République is a land of the people; we all serve her and we all reap her fruits!"

Yelena looked ready to jump in when Setsuna stopped her. "You don't need to play mediator for them." They continued towards the table.

"You think you can deceive the people!?" the brown haired man asked. "Although the conscription laws force everyone to enlist, the wealthy never see danger! The Prolètariat never move up in the military or in society; we still live as poorly as we did under the crown!"

The blonde man laughed. "Please! If upward mobility weren't possible, how do you think that a low-born man like you could make it into the SDU?"

The SDU, or Sinclair Defense Unit, was supposedly an elite force sent by the government to protect Sinclair Monastère; in reality, the unit didn't do much of anything. The government of the newly formed People's Republic of Bellerose maintained a minimal amount of security at the old monastery to maintain the favor of the church. In addition to the two members sent from the church, the team consisted of six individuals from different socioeconomic backgrounds for the illusion of an inclusive government. Setsuna couldn't stop her jaded thoughts. Its so obvious, why do they even try?

Setsuna rolled her eyes. "Another lively debate I see?"

As the girls sat down, the blonde addressed them.

"Setsuna, darling! Do you hear Marquette making an ass of himself?"

That "ass" was Olivier Marquette, one of Setsuna's comrades. Olivier had long, wild reddish-brown hair. He was tall and well built, with auburn eyes that swooned the ladies. It's a shame that he really is an ass, Setsuna thought, because he's actually quite handsome...

"Ancil, why do you antagonize Olivier like that?" Setsuna asked. "Can't we have one dinner without talking politics?"

Ancil formed a slight grin. "If you insist dear."

Setsuna couldn't help but be angered by Ancil's way of talking. He's so damn arrogant... she thought. Ancil was a short man who had to look up at most men. He had long blonde hair that he gathered in a ponytail and cloudy blue eyes. His nose pointed slightly and he had a subtle cleft chin.

Yelena tried to lighten the tension weighing so heavily over the table.

"So Margót, listen to this: Bonsoir ! Comment allez-vous ?"

Margot, the girl sitting across from Yelena, smiled. "Trés bien, Yelena ! Vous êtes un linguiste habile !"

Margot, whose real name was Margaret Carbonneau, was another member of the SDU. Margaret was a thin girl, her turquoise hair done in a single braid down her back with bangs that covered her eyebrows. She wore glasses that sat perfectly on the tip of her little nose. As Yelena would say, she looked like, "A petite, adorable little doll!"

Yelena looked unsure.

"Thanks! But ummm... I didn't really get that last part... hehe... Sorry!"

Margaret and Yelena both laughed. Olivier rolled his eyes.

"She said that your linguistic skills suck." Olivier spat.

Margaret's nose scrunched up as she began to reprimand him. "No I didn't, Olivier! Why do you always have to be so mean!?"

Setsuna sighed. Why am I here? Well at least I won't have to put up with this anymore after tonight... but still.The foundation of the republic is quite fragile. I don't see why Igarashi would have me come here. There's no real benefit.

Setsuna grabbed her glass of water as she continued to muse over her assignment.

Well... it isn't my place to question him. Besides, I really don't care about them anyway. As long as...

Setsuna began to sip the water.

Ugh! This water tastes just like the Mystery Meat!

Setsuna reluctantly swallowed the water as the bickering took an interesting turn.

"You act as if you are any better than Yelena!" Margaret yelled. "I want to hear you speak another language!"

Olivier was eager to accept Margaret's challenge. "Alright! You're on!"

Olivier gave a sly grin as he cleared his voice. "Māgo ha ama desu! Nazenara ijiwaruna kanojo ha busu desu yo! Pettanko!" Olivier let out a quick chuckle. "Isn't that right Setsuna?"

Setsuna quietly groaned. He can actually speak quite well, when he's cursing at least. Too bad telling him as much would only inflate his ego.

"Be nice." Setsuna didn't attempt to hide the annoyance in her voice.

"Demo, Setsuna ha tsuyameku!"

Setsuna began to blush. "Just stop! Eat your food!"

What an idiot! Still, I can at least use that to my advantage later... she reasoned.

Margaret was starring vehemently at Olivier the entire time. Before she could inquire about what he had said about her, another person chimed in.

"I'm very sorry Margaret. My brother has always had a loose tongue."

The man then turned his glance to Olivier.

"Brother, please behave."

Margaret closed her eyes as she let out a deep breath. "Eustis, how can you be so civil when your brother behaves like such a brute!?"

Eustis Marquette was Olivier's younger half-brother. Unlike Olivier, Eustis had short black hair that parted to the left and hazel eyes. He had slightly darker skin than his brother and was a little shorter. The visual factor that made it obvious the two were related was their facial structure; both had almond shaped eyes, slender noses, and subtly pointed chins. Setsuna considered the brother's physical similarities to be ironic. Those two look alike in so many ways, but behave so differently...

Eustis was unable to come up with an answer to Margaret's question, so Ancil was more than willing to give his explanation instead.

"You see, you simply can't teach manners to a savage!"

Olivier instantly replied. "Va te faire foutre !"

Margaret became livid. "Ugh! Stop with the vulgar language! This is a holy place, remember?"

"If I hear someone making snide comments, I respond in kind! Sorry I'm not prim and proper like you, Margoppai-nashi."

"And what do you mean by that!?"

"The prim and proper part, or the oppai-nashi part?"

Seeing that the dinner table was becoming turbulent again, Yelena tried to stop the arguing from resuming.

"Hey, c'mon guys! Don't figh-".

Yelena stopped mid sentence as Setsuna put a hand on her shoulder.

"Just let them be Yelena," she whispered. "Once he explains that nickname, there won't be any stopping them anyway." The girls decided to cut dinner short.

As the two girls were returning their plates to the kitchen, Yelena let out a sigh.

"My brother and Laurie haven't gotten back yet. It's almost dark, too..."

Setsuna was quiet for a moment before responding. "While I can't vouch for the nomad girl, I'm sure that everything is fine if your brother is there. He is the strongest one here."

Yelena smiled and nodded in agreement. "You're right."

Setsuna returned the smile. "And on that note, I need to take a jog. Janus may be the strongest, but I'm the fastest; I intend to keep it that way. I'll see you back in the room Yelena!"

The two agreed to meet back in their room and parted ways. As Setsuna ran, she couldn’t clear her mind. This is such a dangerous place for you to be Yelena. Why are you here? You're too sweet for all of this..."

Setsuna ran laps around the perimeter of the monastery on a regular basis because she enjoyed the scenery. Sinclair was situated in the rolling hills of the Bellerose countryside. The summer breeze could be seen as the wild grass subtly danced back and forth. Although it wasn't nighttime quite yet, the sound of cicadas already filled the air.

This place has such a rustic feel... It just feels so peaceful. Setsuna stopped for a second to look up at the sky; it was a beautiful, dark orange horizon that gradually blended into purple, without a single cloud. It's too bad that a storm will be here soon...

After running the perimeter of the monastery a few times, Setsuna decided that it was time to head back. As she was heading back to her lodgings, Setsuna spotted Olivier in the courtyard taking a smoke. Perfect timing!

Setsuna called out to Olivier to come meet her on the exterior edge of the courtyard.

"Olivier... *huff*... *huff*... hey... *huff*... *huff*..."

Olivier flicked the ash off of his cigarette. "How can I help you, missy?"

Setsuna took a moment to catch her breath and then began to speak.

"Its about dinner... *Huff* I wanted to ask you something."

Olivier lifted an eyebrow, his curiosity piqued.

"You want to know how I learned to talk like that?" he asked. "Well when you live like I have, you learn a thing or two."

Setsuna shook her head.  "That's not it. I wanted to ask you... something else..."

After a brief pause, Setsuna let it out.

"Olivier, you... do you really find me... alluring? Do you really think I'm sexy?" Setsuna averted her eyes from Olivier's.

"Oh, of course!" Olivier replied. Then switching to what Setsuna could only assume was his "sexy voice" Olivier said, "You've got such an exotic flair! Such a sensual mystique!"

Setsuna's face was beet red. She wanted to get away from him as soon as possible, but she had a job to do. Setsuna stepped closer and whispered in Olivier's ear.

"Meet me at the top of the center spire tonight at 2230 hours. Don't tell anybody and keep quiet when we meet."

Olivier's eyes widened in shock at Setsuna's words. As she pulled away from his ear, he regained his composure.

"Hey, I won't make a sound, but I can't guarantee you won't!"

Olivier grinned as he stared down Setsuna. I can feel him undressing me with his eyes. What a pervert."

"We'll see now, won't we?"

Setsuna turned to walk away, and stumbled over a loose stone on the ground.

"Nice exit!" Olivier sneered.

Setsuna's movement became rigid as she left to her room.

Asshole. I want to make him scream, but that wouldn't be a good idea...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 1.4K 66
***NOW A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY*** [Book One of the Arabella Academy Series] Four teenagers, one dead girl and a whole lot of secrets surrounding a s...
Imperfectly Perfect By Sarah

Mystery / Thriller

6 0 10
#whoisthevillian? It's the feeling of an abyss staring right at you! In the heart of a bustling city, where detectives Edward Lions and Charles Jame...
1.6K 104 44
His best friend is shot dead, and the world thinks Metropolitan Police Officer George Reynolds did it. They were in the one place that should've been...
94 6 11
There are five kingdoms on the planet called "Earth", wherein the people have their own elemental power; it is either fire, water, earth, ice, wind...