The Heart of a Trainer: A Pok...

By everyday_avocado

What happens when a paralyzing coma is unleashed across Johto and Kanto? Reasons why and how the disease came... More

One: When I Was Young
Two: The Boy Crossing the Road
Three: Theo's Bad Luck
Five: The Second Disappearance
Six: A New Addition
Seven: The Meeting

Four: Uniting Forces

4 0 0
By everyday_avocado

 Tuesday, 9:00 am

Alice

I knew something was wrong the minute I woke up. My mother was calling my name softly from the dining room, which was just next to the hall where the bedrooms were located.

"Alice, Alice, I have breakfast ready, it's time to get up. Rise and shine!" Like the lazy person I am, I ignored my mom and buried myself deeper into my blanket to sleep for a few more hours. Unfortunately, a few minutes later I was met with a small hand furiously tapping my shoulder and the continuous pain eventually woke me up. I jumped up and looked around, wondering what was all the fuss about. In front of me, there was a huddled group of my pokemon, waiting patiently for my awakening at the end of my twin-size bed. Hoppip ventured closer to me, while Zubat flew across the room to indicate a collapsed Croconaw on the floor, his limbs twisted into positions that were never meant to be attempted in any way, shape, or form. I was speechless. How could this have happened? Without thinking, I trusted my instincts and gently picked up Croconaw and ran out the door, my mom yelling after me, confused. I have to get him to the PokeCenter, that will be the best place for Croconaw. Hopefully they can figure out what's wrong, I can't even begin to think about losing him this way. All of the sudden, without any kind of warning.

"It looks absolutely horrible, doesn't it?" Nurse Joy said solemnly, her happiness gone. "The truth is, there is really nothing we can do for them, they've been put into a coma-like chrysalis called the Spore Coma." The nurse explained helplessly, shrugging her shoulders.

"Currently, we haven't discovered an antidote. However, we have figured out that the pokemon move Spore has somehow been chemically altered, hence the name, and has been unleashed in Johto and Kanto. We have reason to believe that this was created by a single individual. There was a science team researching this disease at the beginning of last year, but when the head researcher disappeared, everyone abandoned the project out of fear the same fate would fall onto them."

"How could this just happen?! How could someone allow this to happen?!" I said with tears streaming down my face in waterfalls. I was on the brink of a complete breakdown, one more word and it was over.

"I'm so sorry miss, we'll find replacements soon, and I assure you, we will find the cure and revive every last person and pokemon that has been affected by this outbreak. It is not contagious as far as we know, so you won't have to worry about your other pokemon or yourself being affected as well." Nurse Joy stated, it sounded like it was something that she was trained to say after someone like me had experienced a horrible tragedy like this.

Her voice faded into the background as I tuned her sympathetic voice out, the shock of what was happening was finally getting to me. With a forced smile, the nurse ushered me out of the room while I was kicking and screaming for her to let me go. Everything passed by me like a blur, a group of other staff members were called and had to escort me off of the premises. When that didn't work, the police were called. Despite my unwillingness to leave, I was dragged off and shoved into a cold, dark jail cell for the night to "calm down." All I could think about was Croconaw and the rest of my pokemon companions, I couldn't sleep nor could I eat. There has to be something I can do, I can't just sit here and do nothing. I didn't even pay attention to the condition I was in. My eyes were wide open, large, dark bags began to form above my cheekbones, and bruises, cuts, and scratches were all over my legs and arms from my resistance to leave the PokeCenter. The cell probably hadn't been used in years, dust had collected into heaps on the floor, the bed sheets smelled musty and old, and there was no electricity present, I was cloaked in the darkness of the night. The only crimes that are committed nowadays are by the Team Rocket members that have been left behind by the rest of the group, so their isn't much of a need for a police force. As the hours passed, I slowly drifted into a grief-stricken insanity, running on nothing but my own willpower to stay awake and unmoving.

My sense of time was damaged, each second, minute, and hour fading into one. The sun rose over the horizon, and a new day had begun. When the first shift of police officers had arrived for work, I was released on the satisfaction of my "calmness." Unaware of where I was going, exited the building and walked on for what seemed like an eternity, until my feet stopped in front of the PokeCenter where I was detained. My feet had a mind of their own, and pulled me through the automatic sliding glass doors. There was a scene occurring at the front desk, disturbing the rest of the patients present, caused by a familiar face that I couldn't place the origin in my memory.

"Excuse me, do you happen to have any hardcopy or digital versions of Lance Parrish's research on the Spore Coma?" The figure asked the desk clerk in an urgent voice.

"I'm sorry, that information is classified, and we cannot disclose details on that subject." The clerk replied, seemingly bored, no doubt because of the long hours the position required.

"But I'm family, please? It's an emergency!" The boy pleaded.

"I'll talk to my supervisors and see if I can give you access, but I must warn you, it will take at least three days for the confirmation." The receptionist replied, obviously trying to end the conversation and move on to the other customers in need of assistance.

"No, it can't wait. I need the papers. Now." The familiar voice demanded, with no intention of backing down.

At that moment, I decided to step in, cutting off whatever excuse the desk clerk was about to spout out next.

"Ma'am, take my advice, if you release the information to this customer now, you won't have to deal with him calling to remind and pester you about it for the next three days. It's a win-win situation, the customer is happy, and you can move on with your life without any needless interruptions." The receptionist didn't have a response to my solution and was quiet for a few seconds, contemplating the consequences of this choice.

"Alright, I can print out the documents sir, but no word of this must reach my superiors. Understood?" The secretary began to type on one of the 4 computers surrounding the cubicle, and a printer nearby roared to life and began to spit out several sheets of paper.

"Yes, thank you, this means a lot." The figure replied, rushing to take the stack of papers from the printer and sprinting out the doors.

The familiarness was nagging me, I could almost remember, it was on the tip of my tongue. Unable to grasp the answer, I ran after the person in an attempt to relieve this feeling. I soon reached my destination, and scowled in displeasure after I caught a glimpse of their face.

"Oh. it's you." I said with malice.

"Hey, you're not going to run me down this time I hope?" The boy, Theo Parrish, turned around, a huge grin plastered across his face.

"I might if you keep bringing that up. Don't tempt me." I said, crossing my arms due to my foolishness of being unable to place the recognition. "I believe I deserve a 'thank you' for what I did back there." I added.

"Oh, right, right. Thanks for that, I really appreciated it." Theo was a mess, he kept jumping from subject to subject, it was obvious that something was wrong.

Although I couldn't say any better for myself, I couldn't let him continue on without asking about his condition.

"Hey, sorry to interrupt your interesting explanation of the theories of pokemon evolution, but what exactly is wrong? Does it have something to do with what you wanted from the PokeCenter?" I inquired.

"No need to apologize. Actually, um, yes it does. Have you ever heard anyone mention a disease called the 'Spore Coma'?" I stopped squarely in my tracks, tears threatening to become visible in the sunlight burning down on the surface as my thoughts were once again reminded of the horrible state Croconaw was enduring.

Fighting back the urge to collapse right then and there I gathered my bearings and cleared my throat to reply. "Unfortunately, I have heard of it. One of my pokemon was claimed by the disease yesterday morning, out of the blue."

"I'm sorry, the coma is very unpredictable given the fact that no one, including the people that are supposed to be controlling the situation, know anything about the diseases capabilities. In fact, I'm heading over to an internet cafe to do a little research of my own with this." Theo explained, holding up the large stack of papers triumphantly.

"I was actually robbed yesterday evening, and this is what they took. I should be getting the results of the police's investigation tomorrow." He added.

"Would you mind if I joined you? At the cafe? Ever since it happened, I haven't been able to deter my thoughts from that morning. I might as well volunteer my services when I know I won't be able to distract myself with anything else." I offered, internally begging for the answer to be 'yes'.

"Yes, yes of course! That'd be great, it would cut the time spent sorting through all of this in half. You'll just have to promise me not to spill your coffee all over me." Theo joked. He wasn't going to let me forget my one moment of clumsiness was he? Nevertheless, a feeling a relief washed over me and I was confident that we would get to the bottom of this mystery.

"Alright, alright, I promise."

We turned the corner and entered a small cafe that was strategically packed in between two tall business corporation headquarters. One of the buildings was vivid and eye catching with palm trees and ocean waves beautifully crafted onto the front and was aimed at marketing the new RotomDex that had already taken hold in the Alola region and was now being sold to trainers across the world. The other building was gray and unnoticeable, with no visible logos, mottos, or any identifying characteristics, it looked more like a storage facility to me. Theo pushed one of the double doors to the cafe open and a bell rang, signifying our presence to the busy employees bustling around the room. I pulled the second door before glancing at the sign near the rusted golden-colored handle that read 'Please Pull.' Hiding my mistake, I expertly pushed the door ajar and another bell chimed. I had never been here before, so I examined the area, taking in every sight, sound, and feel. The rich aroma of coffee beans pervaded the business and an wide selection of cappuccinos, lattes, and iced coffees were listed on the menu. Several of the brewing machines shuddered and groaned as the beans were grinded while drinks were topped with whipped cream and caramel. Orders were taken and coffee was served by waitresses in maroon aprons carrying circular trays. While I soaked up the atmosphere of the internet cafe, Theo selected a table and proceeded to order our drinks.

"Alice. Alice, Alice!" I was abruptly pulled from my daydream and confusedly looked around.

"What?"

"Do you want something to drink? What do you want?" Theo asked expectantly, the cashier waiting patiently at the register.

"Oh, sure. I'll have a Komala coffee. But I can pay--" I started as I scrambled through the chaotic contents of my bag. I made a mental note instructing myself to clear it out by the end of the week.

"No, it's alright. I got it." Theo said as he cut me off.

"Are you sure?" I questioned, when Theo nodded, I thanked him and looked around for an empty seat.

After our coffees arrived, Theo took it upon himself to split the stack and handed one of them to me. As I went through page after page, I could already tell it was going to be a long night of research. Placing yellow sticky-notes on pages with interesting information, color coordinating highlighters to emphasize key points, and taking notes on the side for later use. I wouldn't go as far to say that Theo and I have become friends because of this event, but I believe we will some time in the not-so-distant future, and this alliance is only the start of our greater adventure to find more about the coma that took Croconaw away from my care. I silently send my thoughts to Croconaw, hoping my message will reach him. Hang in there for a little while longer, I'll get the answers we need to figure out the antidote and bring you back. Whoever did this is going to pay for their crimes, and with the help of Theo, I will help every last person and pokemon and I won't stop until the task is finished or until I am infected with the paralytic disease myself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3M 305K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
4M 162K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
44.5M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
92.1M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...