Treachery : book 2 of Codex...

By rebeccaredfield33

Even in its weakened state, Asgard has proved to be as formidable as ever. the Aesir continue to shine bright... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Epilogue

Chapter 25

2 2 0
By rebeccaredfield33

Chapter 25

Six months ago: Midgard

Bishop Leo III slouched in his favorite armchair, it was long past midnight but he couldn't sleep. He idly swirled the brandy in his glass as he thought. There were so many questions that needed answers. The stranger named Jason was asleep in the spare room. Was he a devil? Was he a bad man? Was this some test from God? The man had walked into his life looking like something straight out of Hell and the bishop couldn't shake the feeling that big trouble was heading his way. He had spent nearly four hours on his knees, praying before a statue of Jesus being crucified. Begging for guidance, begging for help and advice. As always, his prayers fell on deaf ears. He still had no idea what to do with the stranger. His only hope was that after a goodnight's sleep, Jason would choose to move on in the morning.

Bishop Leo III turned on his small TV, he didn't normally watch it, for such nonsense, such filth and sin distracted him from loving God and doing his duties. He groaned as the news flashed up on the small screen before him. A young pretty, red haired reporter was animatedly talking away. A strip at the bottom of the screen said, breaking news.

"...Hunters have brought down a witch, Cassie Smith aged twenty two. She was one of the leaders of the biggest satanic cult in all of Brittan" Behind the reporter calmly stood two Witch Hunters, they held a struggling dark haired woman between them. No matter how desperately she tried, she couldn't break their vicelike grips. The reporter continued on "The leader of this cult is still at large and there are no leads on his whereabouts yet. He is believed to be extremely dangerous and should not be approached. The Witch Hunters have issued a warning that anyone found sheltering this man will be found guilty of witchcraft and heresy. They will face the same punishment as the man they are hiding. So I suggest you turn him over right now"

The glass of brandy fell from the bishop's hand and shattered on the floor as a photo flashed up on the screen. The bold red words underneath read. WANTED, JASON REDFIELD. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. The bishop gasped as he looked at the picture. It was a younger and much better groomed version of the man sleeping in his spare room. Leader of a satanic cult? In his home? In the house of the lord? He got up and began to pace around his small Livingroom. He had agreed to give this man sanctuary, just as his duty required. But would God want him to shelter such a man? He had walked into the cathedral covered in blood and filth. Was that from satanic sacrifices? Was it animal blood or was it human? The bishop wrapped his bathrobe tighter around him as a chill ran down his spine. He had heard of satanic practices where they sacrificed children and babies, of torture, of sexual practices that were unspeakable. A man like that could not stay here. The bishop's first duty was to God and his church. Even the bible was clear. Thou shall not suffer a witch to live. The church was working hard to purge the world of people just like this. The year 2020 was rapidly approaching. God's holy work had to be done. The Bishop looked at the clock on the wall. There was no way he would sleep now. And God's holy work must be done no matter the time of day or night.

****

Jason Redfield awoke feeling refreshed for the first time in weeks. Plus being washed, fed and in clean clothes was an added bonus. He sat up in bed then looked at his nightstand. A scowl crossed his face and his mood instantly darkened. There was a bible on it and it definitely hadn't been there when he went to sleep last night. He scooped up the book after giving it a filthy look and marched down the corridor planning to give the good bishop an earful.

The dining room table was set for one, a single bowl, a spoon, a jug of milk that was going warm and a small selection of cereals. The bishop was nowhere to be seen. Jason tossed the bible onto the table before settling down for breakfast. He needed to come up with a plan. He couldn't stay here forever. Could he? Jason frowned at the thought. Living the rest of his life in a cathedral like a monk. That was a good joke. Honestly he expected the world to return to normal once 02.02.2020 had come and gone. When nothing happened and no end of the world comes. Everyone will drop this madness and go back to not believing in anything. Still that date was a good two and a half years away. He needed to survive till then, he needed an exit strategy and most importantly, he needed to contact Cassie and make sure she was doing ok. He felt awful for separating from her. He should've dragged her here kicking and screaming if he had too. He desperately hoped she was ok.

After breakfast, Jason decided that a walk might help clear his head. He lost track of time as he completed lap after lap of the cloisters. The stained glass windows were supposed to tell stories from the bible to help keep the monks focused on why they walked endlessly round this place. Of course, there had been no monks in this place for over a thousand years and the windows were little more than colourful pictures to Jason. Still no ideas came to him, no plan formed. Jason took to the small garden in the centre of the cloisters and soaked in the cold winter sun. Time passed and still Jason's mind refused to come up with anything. He looked up and saw Bishop Leo heading his way. The old man looked worse for wear. He had dark circles under his eyes that hadn't been there yesterday, he walked slowly and with a limp. He called out in a false, cheery voice

"Good afternoon Jason, did you sleep well?"

"A lot better than you by the looks of it"

The bishop scrubbed at his tired eyes, he hadn't been allowed a single second of sleep, the traumas of the night still haunted his mind.

"Yes well its age you know, this cold weather makes my joints ache, the pain makes it hard to sleep. Still my suffering is little compared to that of our lord and saviour"

Jason grunted but then scowled at the bible in the bishop's hand, it was the one he had left on the breakfast table.

"If you have come to lecture me or try to convert me, you can just forget about it preacher!"

A regretful look crossed the old man's face

"Please Jason, let me just read a couple of passages to you. I guarantee they will fill you with the spirit of God"

"I doubt that very much" muttered Jason.

"Oh and how can you be so sure?"

Jason shrugged

"I have read large chunks of the bible, in fact there is even one chapter that I personally like"

The bishop clapped his hands excitedly.

"There you go then! Perhaps you have already been touched by God?"

"Your God can keep his hands off of me"

The bishop ignored that jibe and began rifling through his bible.

"What part is it? Why do you like it?"

Again Jason just shrugged and stared at the small fountain in the centre of the garden

"I don't really know, I guess it speaks truth and I can relate to it way too much"

"Oh this is wonderful, tell me what passage is it?"

Instead of telling the bishop Jason stared hard at the fountain then began to recite the verse.

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

As Jason's voice trailed away, the bishop wiped a tear from his eye. Jason had delivered the verse with such passion and conviction, it would have been worthy of any church service.

"Ah yes 1 Corinthians 13. It is indeed a beautiful verse and tells us of the true power of love"

An odd expression flashed across Bishop Leo's face like he was struggling with some internal decision.

"May I show you something in the cathedral? There is some art work that shows the greatest act of love ever known on earth"

Jason frowned at the fountain.

"Sure, why not? It's not like I have anything better planned for my day"

Jason trailed behind the bishop with his arms crossed as he listened to the old man ramble on and on, reciting verse after verse from his precious bible. The bishop claimed they were all linked to the Corinthians verse but Jason couldn't see the connection. He let the Bishop's voice wash over him as he was lead through the cathedral.

Jason's mind became dulled and numb from the endless preaching. He would always look back on that moment and wonder if that was the bishop's intent all along. That if he had been more alert, perhaps he would have sensed the trap. He was lead to a small Chapple near the back of the cathedral that had only one entrance and exit.

Jason had literally been led to a dead end, he stared blankly at the back wall where a huge portrait of the crucifixion hung. He had seen it countless times before and had always despised it for it's blatant inaccuracies. The bishop droned on about how Jesus loved the world so much and that he was willing to die to save us all. All the time he kept flicking nervous glances back towards the doorway.

"So you see Jason, our lords love for us was that great he was willing to wash away all of our sins with his death. A clean slate, a fresh start. Isn't that wonderful? Doesn't it make you want to convert?"

Jason turned to the bishop, the scathing reply died on his tongue as he froze on the spot. He finally sensed that something was off. The bishop was shaking, his voice had gained a tremor and he kept constantly wringing his hands in agitation. Finally Jason realised the trap but it was too late, he turned towards the door and swore.

Three Witch Hunters stood baring the only exit. They stood like statues, unmoving, wide brimmed hats hiding barely human eyes. Jason threw a murderous look at the bishop who merely shrugged in response.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6M 149K 51
A looming darkness has gathered, and the storm is headed for Asgard. Thor needs help, and more than that, he needs the girl raised on Earth. The Eart...
204K 14.3K 43
For decades, Ara's kingdom has suffered from a bloody invasion. Generations of gifted men and women have been murdered by assassins in order to cripp...
50 22 20
Gelhalla, the Realm of Light, where virtuous souls reside as angels and warriors, left to live out their destinies, whatever that may be. One such an...
237 28 26
Alexander,a tormented human boy on the brink of ending his life , is unexpectedly saved by Aurelius,an ancient vampire. This single act shatters the...