The Vicky Series: Book 3: Liv...

By Gloriannajames

Q. E. McClintock has never shied from his duty and when the Civil War starts, he once again answers the call... More

Note and Acknowledgements
Chapter 1 Part 1
Chapter 1 Part 2
Chapter 2 Part 1
Chapter 2 Part 2
Chapter 3 Part 1
Author Note
Chapter 3 Part 2
Chapter 4 Part 1
Chapter 4 Part 2
Chapter 05 Part 1
Chapter 5 Part 2
Chapter 06 Part 1
Chapter 6 Part 2
Author's note
Chapter 07 Part 1
Chapter 7 Part 2
chapter 08 part 1
Chapter 8 part 2
Chapter 09 part 1
Chapter 9 part 2
Chapter 10 part 1
Chapter 10 part 2
Chapter 11 part 1
Chapter 11 part 2
Chapter 12 part 1
Chapter 12 part 2
Chapter 13 part 1
Chapter 13 part 2
chapter 14 part 1
Chapter 14 part 2
Author's Note
Chapter 15-part 1
Chapter 15 - part 2
Chapter 16-part 1
Chapter 16 - part 2
Chapter 17-part 1
Chapter 17 part 2
Chapter 18 part 1
Chapter 19 part 1
Chapter 19 part 2
Chapter 20 part 2
Chapter 20 part 1
Chapter 21 part 1
Chapter 21 part 2
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
This Story is finished but...

Chapter 18 part 2

105 8 0
By Gloriannajames

By the end of the week Vicky watched as Bo and Reuben took the children for pony rides around the house. If Bo hadn't been so wonderful with horses, she might have worried that these particular ponies were young and unsaddled. But Bo assured her the mare and gelding were gentle enough. After searching his gaze she hesitantly agreed.

Watching now from her seat on the porch as the two of them led the children around the yard she wondered at how completely they fit into life here at Arrow Q. Kelley and Quin were fast friends and Ida Rose followed Bunka everywhere. The best she could figure Bunka was some combination of the words Uncle and Bo somehow, although they couldn't figure where the "A" came from.

Bo was often at the house helping with more than just meals and the children. He dusted like a pro and was wicked with a broom. She knew he was a bachelor but she'd also learned they'd had to send the servants away long before his father was killed. Bo said his kitchen skills were always deplorable until Jeremy came to live with them.

That remark had given her pause. But when she thought on it she remembered how long Jeremy lived alone in town...and then he'd worked a year in the saloon. Perhaps kitchen duty was part of his agreement with the barkeep? So lost was she in her thoughts and watching the children as they bounced and giggled on the ponies that she didn't notice the rider approaching until the dogs barked.

At once Bo handed the reins to Reuben.

"Get them to the barn." He said as he jogged across the yard to fetch the rifle from the rack inside the door.

"You don't need to bother." Vicky called as he leapt onto the porch, bypassing the steps completely. "It's Joe Tate."

"Afternoon Miss Vicky." Joe said leaping down. "Grandma Katie and Auntie Esther want to know how you are faring."

"They send you out here to check on me?"

"No ma'am." He grinned as he tugged a letter from his pocket. "But they said if I returned without finding out how you were faring...well I figured I'd best find out right away."

A low rumbling laughter joined her own and Vicky turned to see Bo shaking his head. She noticed the obvious absence of the rifle and sent him a knowing look.

"I'd best be getting to the barn." Bo announced leaving them. "Reuben will have his hands full."

"I'd best be getting back too, Miss Vicky but I thank you for the cookies and I'll tell the ladies you are doing well."

As she watched him ride way Bo and Reuben led the children out once more. Apparently pony rides weren't over. Bo sent her a knowing look as they rode past and she knew he was keeping them busy to give her time to read her letter. It had only been a few weeks since the last letter, so she hoped it wasn't Quin telling her he couldn't come after all.

Propping up her feet on a crate she rocked pulled the letter from her pocket and looked at the handwriting. PENELOPE! Eager fingers broke the seal and unfolded the letter.

Dear Vicky:

Hello my friend. It has been entirely too long since I've written. I should have sent word sooner, but life has a way of changing even the best laid plans. Our little camp was stricken with sickness and things have been rather busy now for several months.

But I guess it is rather old news. I am writing with good news I suppose. In the fall (September most likely) there will be a new Schmidt. I really can't imagine how it could be so. I thought my days were past, especially after I lost the last. It was about a month after I left you that I miscarried. I had only just begun to suspect when I lost the babe.

I really don't know how I shall manage with a babe again. If my other children had lived I'd be a grandmother several times over. I guess I am anyway, as Henry has grandchildren. He hasn't talked to his son in a few years, not since the war started. So we don't know where they are but he's sure we'll meet up again someday.

I don't have much time as I have been working in the infirmary. There was a round of illness going around the camp and the poor doctor has been worked to exhaustion trying to keep up with all the cases. Me and a two of the other wives (there are only six on this awful post) have been working around the clock to help care for the sick men.

It's been rather inconvenient actually. You see, the Indians have been really causing trouble hear-abouts. Although in my own opinion, from some of the stories I've heard they have been mightily provoked. Still, Carlton has been put in charge of the western forces and since the war hasn't reached us, he is using the army to eradicate the Indian problem.

That's the word I hear a lot. Eradicate. Like they are mice that must be chased from the fields so they don't get into the cupboards. It is appalling in my humble opinion, and it's probably a good thing I'm not in Carlton's place right?

I am laughing as I write this sentence because I have had this very discussion with Henry. He is very good about listening and never laughs although I can see the amusement dancing in his eyes. Bless his good kind heart though, he never makes comments about "that's why women aren't in the army" or some other such nonsense. (He knows better, I suppose).

Henry misses the major. He says it takes two men twice as long to do what your major did while he was here. I wasn't here when Quinton was here. As you know I was with you, but I suppose after seeing things that go on, he might be just a little biased. These men are young, most of them your age or younger even, but they are dedicated and loyal to a fault.

Well, enough of our politicking. I want so much to visit, but I cannot see that happening for some time to come yet. And as Henry tells me you are also expecting a little one in July, well, I suppose we shall just have to satisfy ourselves with visits through letters.

What else can I tell you? Oh, we had a dispatch from Zeke! He is well. He will be mustering out next summer and wants to go to the Texas Panhandle and homestead a ranch. He says there is good country still open there. But he promises to come and see us first. It will be so nice to see him again. I hope he swings down to visit with Reuben before he leaves.

Well, I believe I have exhausted my supply of interesting news fit for a letter. Do write and tell me how you are and tell me of your new little one. Have Reuben write to me. I miss his bright smile and his hugs. Tell him I said to give all my hugs to you while he's there. It's a shame to let all those sweet hugs go to waste.

With fondest regards,

Penelope Schmidt

Zeke was still alive and he was coming home next summer. She smiled and folded the letter. If he managed to stay alive until then, she thought morosely before she shook her head clear of the negative thought. Of course he would be home. He survived Visalia and two really deadly skirmishes up north. Certainly he'd be ok after that.

She refused to let her thoughts turn to Quin who rode all over the countryside hunting and being hunted. Once more she shook her head.

"No." she murmured with passion.

And a baby! Penelope deserved a bit of happiness. The poor woman had already buried five children and two husbands. Vicky couldn't even begin to imagine that pain. She nearly fell apart when Naomi Beth died and if Quin had not been there to urge her on, she certainly wouldn't have recovered so quickly after losing Joseph.

Penelope was an amazing woman and Vicky felt blessed to call her friend. She sounded happy, although maybe a bit overwhelmed. Now THAT was a feeling Vicky could relate to. Three wee ones and a baby to boot. Overwhelming to say the very least. With a smile she began the laborious task of rising from the rocker so she could go inside and write a reply.

As she struggled against the weight of the baby and gravity pulling her down as the rocker leaned back precariously a hand appeared. Blushing a little, she took the hand and found herself on her feet at once. It took a moment to reorient herself to the new center of balance before she cleared her throat and straightened her skirts.

"Thank you, Will." She managed. "I'm going to write a letter. Would you care to join me for a cup of coffee?"

"I've never turned down a cup of coffee in my life, ma'am. I'd be delighted." He said with a deep bow that made Vicky laugh before he followed her inside.

Days on the Arrow Q tended to melt one into the other so it was startling when she came out to the kitchen one morning to find Katie was there with Esther and they already had several loaves set to rise while they began rolling out crust for pie.

"Good morning." She smiled as she crossed to the coffee pot and poured herself half a cup.

"Good morning." Esther smiled and to Katie, "I told you she'd forget."

"Posh now. And I suppose if you were running a ranch with your husband away and a baby coming any day YOU wouldn't forget." Katie scolded and to Vicky. "We've come to help with the pies and bread for the barbeque on the fourth."

"I still say it isn't proper to be celebrating when there is a war." Esther grumbled.

"Nonsense and Fluff." Katie scolded. Folks round these parts suffer plenty every other day. A good get-together with friends and neighbors to celebrate life is a good idea."

"I completely forgot!" Vicky admitted as she reached for an apron. "Well, what can I do?"

"Nothing at all. I want you to go sit outside and just relax a few minutes."

Vicky knew from Katie's look that it was pointless to argue so she shuffled herself out and fell back into the rocker.

"Good morning." Bo called as he stepped up on the porch.

"Oh. Good morning." She smiled up at him as he stopped next to her.

"I was wondering if you'd like to take a walk with me." He held out his hands.

"I'd like that." She agreed as she took his hands so he could lift her from the chair.

He walked down the lane toward the gate. Once they were clear of the house he cleared his throat.

"I was wondering how you are faring." He looked down at her, searching her face.

"I'm well." She assured him with a smile.

"Your time is near?"

"Oh yes." She answered sadly as her palm absently began to rub her rounded tummy, "Very soon. I shouldn't think more than a few weeks."

"Might I make a suggestion then?"

"You know I'm always open to suggestions."

They both smiled as they recalled several occasions when she was decidedly NOT open to suggestions and reacted with rage or tears.

"Well," she shrugged sheepishly, "I am today."

"You have plenty of help with the children and the house but...I just thought maybe if there was a woman friend you'd like to be here? If your husband doesn't get back in time, I'd hate for you to be stuck with just us ranch hands for company."

Her heart squeezed and her face scrunched.

"Are you all right?" he stopped and looked down at her with so much concern it made her wince again.

"Fine." She lied, "heartburn."

She never thought of that. Well, she had, but she never wanted to believe that Quin wouldn't make it. She looked forward to the birth and his visit. She had to admit to herself now that it wasn't wise to trust the war would pause so he could come home.

"If you're sure." He answered cautiously and turned them back toward the house.

"I think I'll talk with Katie and Esther. They're family and I should like for them to be here."

"We were all agreed we would fetch those two when the time came, but it is a great relief to know you won't be stuck here with us alone until they arrive!"

"I was wondering though..." she said thoughtfully, "If you would might fetch Ruthie when the time comes? She has a family of her own, so she won't be able to stay with me for long, but as you say, it would be nice to have a friend here."

As it would happen, Vicky didn't have so long as she thought. Three days passed. Vicky sat at the dinner table with her company: Katie, Esther, Bo, Cato, Will, and Louie. Reuben and the children were already fed and in bed. Though it was July fifth, the excitement carried over and the mood was festive. Suddenly Vicky bit her lip to keep from gasping.

"Are you alright Missus?" Cato asked.

"Yes, I think." She smiled as the pain eased a little. "I think maybe I just ate too much..."

"Oh sweetie," Katie smiled as she took in Vicky's posture and expressions, "that's not heartburn. That wee one's going to make an appearance soon."

At the announcement the men leapt back from the table as if Katie had announced an outbreak of the plague and Will bolted out the door. Vicky scrunched her face up. NO. Quinton was going to be home when the baby came. It COULDN'T be now!

"You boys put the food away and clean up out here. When you're finished you can go outside and wait if you want. Esther, can you get water to boiling and fetch a few quilts. Vicky, honey, you need to come with me. We're going to get you changed."

"I'm going to check on Will. He looked green when he lit out of here." Bo announced, "And then I'll fetch Ms. Ruthie for you."

Vicky's smile was short lived as another pain squeezed her body.

"Oh!"

Vicky went obediently to her room but she had to stop on the way for another pain. When the door closed behind them Vicky headed for the bed.

"Oh no you don't, Darlin." Katie smiled. "Get into a nightdress. But you don't want to get into bed just yet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.1K 4.2K 30
Jaelyn Maxwell and Tyson Reed have a past, one that didn't end so well. Jaelyn has moved on from the past, but hasn't forgotten it. Starting colts w...
207K 15.5K 82
Featured in YARomance's 'Love-Hate' reading list as of 01/24/2022 Featured in TeenFiction's 'Funny Bones' reading list as of 09/23/2021 Featured in W...
73.2K 4.5K 22
I've been through enough in the past few years to write a novel. The short version? My wife cheated on me, and got pregnant...by my brother. She want...
209K 4.9K 80
{complete & editing } ๊ง๐™ˆ๐™–๐™›๐™ž๐™– ๐™๐™ค๐™ข๐™–๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š๊ง‚ ๐‘ค๐‘’ ๐‘”๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘ค ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘”โ„Ž ๐‘คโ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐‘ค๐‘’ ๐‘”๐‘œ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘ข...