All This Time

By Shining18

Byleth hadn't meant to fall in love, but a certain Deer won't stop following her around everywhere. "Say, Tea... More

White Clouds
The Golden Deer
Alive
Keeping Distance
Wounds
Stargazing
The Dance
The Cause of Sorrow
Grieving
Running on Revenge
Trust
A New Look
The Dagger
The Diary
A Divine Revelation
The Flame Emperor
Undetected
One Wish
Those Three Words
Defend the Monastery
Broken Promises
Instinct
Losing Hope
Reunion
Reunion: Byleth
Verdant Wind
No More Door!
Tired
Peaceful Days
Heartbeats
Heat and Fish
Defend the Monastery...Till the Very End
As I Am
Rhea and Edelgard
Backup
Nightmares
Those Five Years...
Ashe
The Wonders of Divine Pulse
Judith
Judith Pt II
Trust Me
A Little Awkward
The Next Plan
Charms
Surprise!
The Great Bridge
Ferdinand
The Downsides of Divine Pulse
Battle of the Eagle and Deer
The Archer
I Know
Training
Archery
Could You Imagine?
The Battle at Gronder
Fire Burning
Quick Survey
Dimitri
The Carnage
Unexpected Visitor
Responsibility
Braids of Action
Reach for my Hand...
The...Flame Emperor?
Run For Cover
Javelins of Light
Barbarossa
Secrets
I'll Soar Away
The Palace
Edelgard
When It Rains, It Pours
Rhea
Into The Dawn
Musiciality
Repose
Let Her Go
Just A Little Poison
I Feel Pretty
Long Overdue
The Immaculate One
Critical Fail
The Truth
After
The New Dawn
I Wish I Could Stay...
Not This Time
Setting Off
The Missing King
Almyra
Responsibility
Even Now?
A Drag
The Future of Fódlan
One Week
Starting A Rebellion
Dear Teach
Conflict
To A New Fódlan
True Almyran
Almost Perfect
A Suspicious Old Friend
Nausea
Almyran Heat
The News
Conflicting Priorities
Reactions
Message From The King
Girls Night
Crowning
Alarm
To The Rescue
The King's Return
I Do
Precautions
That Person's Name Is...
Epilogue
Closing Note
Bonus: Mommy's Birthday
Poll
Bonus: Quarantine!
Bonus: Secret Song
Poll #2
Bonus: #Blacklivesmatter
Bonus: Legends Never Die
Three Hopes: A Review

Suspicion

1.6K 49 6
By Shining18

"You can wield the Sword of the Creator...You shouldn't be able to do that. What other mysteries do you hold, Teach?"

Byleth winced at the words. She had finally started getting comfortable to Claude's presence, and he had done the same. The two had paired up to search for Flayn, and Byleth had felt a warm feeling in her chest as he grabbed her hand, leading her around. Now, things were back to how they were when they first met. He seemed more distant, as if the knowledge that she could use the sword changed how he felt about her.

"I don't know."

"That was a sword used by Nemesis," Claude pondered, a glint in his emerald eyes. "You have the Crest of Flames...It explains why you're so absurdly powerful. I'm glad you're on our side, Teach."

"Right," Byleth said absentmindedly. She hadn't seen him fake a smile near her in awhile, but now his superficiality was back.

Byleth didn't like being treated like this.

Are your feelings hurt by a boy? Sothis mocked inside of her head.

Yeah, a little bit, Byleth bitterly admitted. Her response must have surprised Sothis as the Goddess went quiet.

This is my chance to accomplish my goal, Claude told himself. Still, he felt uneasy transferring back to his old ways. He'd started getting closer to the Professor, but now that she wielded such power, he couldn't afford such emotions. Fòdlan must be unified, and she has the power to help solve my goals. She's just another tool that I can use.

Tool.

Claude didn't like using that term for her, but he knew he needed to steel his resolve. Lifted from his scrambling thoughts, Claude sighed and glanced over to his Professor.

"I'll see you around, Teach. See if you can find a way for me to use that sword," Claude joked, but it fell flat between the two of them. If I could have used that sword, this would have been six times easier. Instead, I have to do this...

"You'll hurt yourself if you try. Bye, Claude."

"Bye, Teach."

———

Things hadn't been the same ever since Claude had seen her wield her Sword of the Creator.

In fact, things kind of sucked. When the time came to head to Remire Village, Byleth glumly nodded and turned to head towards her father's room.

Maybe he could help soothe her feelings. Of course she wouldn't tell him anything, but she was sure he could at least cheer her up.

She knocked on his door, and he told her to come in. Stepping in the room, Jeralt's eyes widened at the sight of her.

"Kid, I haven't seen you look so glum before. What happened?"

"How did you know?" Byleth asked, confused that he had known something was wrong without her even saying it.

"You're pale as a ghost, and your eyes are downcast," Jeralt told her. "Come on, kid, I'm your father. Of course I know. Now what's going on? Is it about Remire?"

Well, now that she was here, Byleth felt incredibly stupid. What could he say that could make it better?

Why did it even bother her so much that Claude had backed away? Was it because he was just the house leader, or was it because he'd been the only one to really treat her like a person?

"...This sword," Byleth sighed, not wanting to explain the circumstances completely. "Has made my students wary of me. None of them trust me again."

Well, that wasn't particularly true. Raphael just told her it was cool, Sylvain could care less, Leonie cheered her on, and Ignatz was too kind to be scared of his professor. The others were (rightfully) suspicious.

But that didn't mean Byleth's feelings weren't hurt.

"They'll get over it," He said gruffly, ruffling Byleth's hair. "If they don't, I'll find them and destroy those brats who made you upset."

"Please don't. They're still my students."

"Yeah, they are, so they shouldn't be treating you so awfully."

Byleth felt the sudden urge to defend her little Golden Deer. No one was allowed to speak badly about them, not even her own father.

"They are still kind to me," Byleth interrupted. "I doubt they realize."

"If they're kind to you, then they'll eventually forget about your superpowers. I wouldn't worry about it too much."

They all will, you're right, Byleth thought miserably. Except for Claude. Claude will never forget.

———

Even Edelgard was wary of her.

The Black Eagles house leader had been frequently approaching her, almost as much as Claude did. Byleth usually didn't mind, except now Edelgard's apprehension stung even more. She had started to like Edelgard about as much as she liked Claude, so both of them being cautious around her really hurt.

However, Edelgard took a slightly different approach. While Claude had backed off and picked up his superficiality again, Edelgard had only become more curious.

"Professor. I know we have discussed this many times, but that sword...that is the one the so called 'Hero King' used. It seems fitting that someone as impressive as you can wield it."

"It's only given me more trouble than it's worth," Byleth said blankly. She had started to revert back to her usual short and curt responses ever since Claude had distanced himself. She didn't notice Edelgard's blatant attempts to compliment her.

"Oh? How so?" Edelgard's brow furrowed in confusion, and Byleth didn't want to unload on the house leader. However, something inside of Byleth compelled her to spill; to let someone besides her father know the affect Claude's suspicion had on her.

"Everyone has treated me differently because of this. Rhea. Seteth. Claude."

Edelgard grimaced guilty as she knew Byleth had wanted to cite her own name. Clearing her throat, Edelgard thought she saw the problem.

"Perhaps they don't see your value-"

"No," Byleth interrupted. "All they see is my value."

"Ah...I see."

A silence passed between them again, and Edelgard proposed a new solution.

"Professor, it is because you are extremely powerful. To be wanted by so many people is a blessing."

"It's no blessing when Clau-uh...everyone treats me like a stranger," Byleth disagreed. Edelgard's eyes widened as Byleth specifically mentioned Claude again, and the Black Eagles house leader had an understanding look on her face.

"What?" Byleth snapped, sighing. "Sorry, I didn't mean to lash out-"

"I think I understand," Edelgard said, a look of wistfulness on her face. "You care for him deeply, and it hurts to be shunned. Am I correct?"

"...Yes," Byleth mumbled. "It's not just him, though. It's everyone."

"...Professor, I don't wish to rub it in," Edelgard shook her head. "But if you had chosen the Black Eagles, we wouldn't have shunned you whatsoever. I would have appreciated you better than Claude could ever."

"...The Golden Deer is where I belong," Byleth replied, still adamant on at least one thing. "I'm sorry, Edelgard. But even though I may feel frustrated right now, I'm aware that I belong here."

Edelgard forced a smile on her face.

"Perhaps. Now that you know you belong there, don't be afraid to tell any of them off. You deserve to be treated better than that."

I know that, Byleth thought. I could be treated right by the whole world, but it means nothing if he doesn't. Damn, why does he affect me like this?

You should just ignore him, Sothis sighed, and Byleth found her heart hardening.

I will. No one is ever going to hurt me like this again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.5K 953 78
Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered a position as a professor? Wonder no mor...
52.9K 751 19
in the monastery they being Heard rumors about a new transfer student would Join the house either black Eagle,blue lion and Golden dear, but when the...
21.2K 688 56
"We could have been great together, Teach." Even though Byleth had chosen to teach the Black Eagles, the Golden Deer house leader Claude von Riegan w...
13.6K 258 24
Claude always despised his teacher for his charming way of doing things. He told himself to never trust his teacher no matter what, until after being...