Everly || Steve Rogers

By HaleyPancakes98

"Though I may cry a river, I will not drown in it." In which she needed a hero, so she became one. "She loved... More

Before We Get Started...
Playlist
1. Thanks I Guess
2. Broken Pieces
2 1/2. Let's Build a Fort
3. Saved By The Buck
4. Flying Cars and Fancy Suits
5. Only a Chance
6. In the Army Now
7. Pecs of Perfection
8. I Am Not Wearing That
9. See You Later
10. Stowaway
11. A Hero's Return
12. Shield Shopping
13. A Kiss Is Worth A Thousand Words
14. Blood and Tears
15. Hydra
16. Breaking Point
17. I had a Date
18. Avengers Initiative
19. Asgardian A**holes
20. God of Hammers
21. Put on the Suit
22. There Was An Idea...
23. Battle of New York
24. From Bad to Worse
25. Shawarma
25 1/2. No Sandwich Left Behind
26. Sleep is for the Weak
27. Bringing the House Down
27 1/2. Gone
28. Harley
29. Hot Stuff
30. Gary
31. The Mandarin... Kind of
32. The Iron Patriot Problem
33. I'll Never Smile Again
33 1/2. Clean Slate
34. Roller Skating Rookies
35. Final Goodbyes
36. Haunting Memories
37. On Your Left
38. Project Insight
39. Smithsonian
40. Man With the Metal Arm
41. Nothing Personal
42. A Ghost Story
43. Amidst the Rubble
44. The Winter Soldier
45. I Knew Him
46. To the End of the Line
47. The Aftermath
47 1/2. Brave the Staircase
48. Two Enhanced
49. Revels
50. The Endgame
51. Ultron's Schemes
52. Meet the Bartons
53. Vision
54. Sokovia
55. New Beginnings
55 1/2. Ant-Man
56. Blood Spilled
57. Sokovia Accords
58. Agent Carter
59. Criminals
60. Betrayal
61. Vanishing Act
62. Butterflies
63. The Collective Good
64. Civil War
65. Divided We Fall
66. I'll be there
67. Thanos is Coming
67 1/2. The Mind Stone
68. The Noblest End
69. Should've Gone For the Head
70. All That's Left
70 1/2. Death of a Titan
71. Future Days
72. Five Years Later
73. A Time Machine?
74. Second Chances
75. I Love You 3000
76. Call it a Truce
77. One Shot
78. Whatever It Takes
79. Camp Lehigh, 1970
80. Avenge the Fallen
81. The Big Three
82. You Can Rest Now
82 1/2. The End of the Line
83. It's Been a Long, Long Time
83 1/2. Parenting 101
Epilogue
Author's Note
New Story Update!
But wait... there's more??

8 1/2. Take Me Out to the Ball Game

6K 202 22
By HaleyPancakes98

~May, 1941~

"Can I look now?" Steve begged, trying to peel Everly's hands from his eyes. She kept them in place and let out a small laugh while pushing him through the crowd. The sound of bustling city life filled his ears, making him even more curious as to where they were headed.

"No. Shush." She led him a bit farther before stopping him with both of her hands on his shoulders. A frown covered her face as she sifted through her pockets, beginning to panic when she couldn't find what she was looking for. She let out a sigh of relief when her fingers brushed the tickets.

"Okay, open."

Steve squinted as light flooded his eyes. After blinking away the blinding light, he saw a beaming Everly standing before him. She held a pair of tickets in her hand, fanning the air with them. His eyes rose to the enormous stadium looming behind her.

"Baseball?" He grinned, raising a questioning eyebrow. "You hate sports."

"But you don't. I thought it could be fun." She shrugged, starting for the entrance. He hurried to catch up to her and dove his hands into his pockets. Everly handed the man working the concessions some money for a bag of popcorn and offered some to Steve.

"Why are you doing this?" He asked seriously. She tossed a few pieces into her mouth.

"I just told you?" She cocked her head to the side questioningly. "I thought it would be fun."

"And that's it?" 

"Yeah, we finally got a day without a show. I just wanted to make the most of it." She frowned. 

Steve was silent for a second or two before he smiled down at his shoes. His bright eyes flicked up to the woman before him. "Alright then."

As they made their way to their seats, they were stopped on two separate occasions. Both times involved a little boy begging Captain America to sign something. And each time, Steve happily obliged, sending Everly an apologetic look as she waited. But she didn't mind. In all honesty, it made her beyond happy to see that so many people looked up to him. It was starting to become easier having to share him with the world. Finally, they found their seats and waited for the game to start. She soon grew bored of the waiting, and tipped her head back allowing her eyes to flutter shut as she drifted off to sleep.

How Everly managed to sleep through the all the noise of the game, Steve had no idea. He only smiled as he watched her head slowly bob to the side, then straight back, and forward. Every once in a while she would jerk awake, spilling some of the popcorn from the bag in her hands and start clapping as the rest of the crowd was. 

'Curve ball, high and outside for ball one. So the Dodgers are tied, 4-4. And the crowd well knows that with one swing of his bat, this fellow's capable of making it a brand-new game again. Just an absolutely gorgeous day here at Ebbets Field. The Phillies have managed to tie it up at 4-4. But the Dodgers have three men on. Pearson beaned Reiser in Philadelphia last month. Wouldn't the youngster like a hit here to return the favor? Pete leans in. Here's the pitch. Swung on. A line to the right. And it gets past Rizzo. Three runs will score. Reiser heads to third. Durocher's going to wave him in. Here comes the relay, but they won't get him.'

'The Dodgers take the lead, 8-4. Oh, Dodgers! Everyone is on their feet. What a game we have here today, folks. What a game, indeed.'

Steve could just barely make out the voice of the announcer who was narrating for the radio as the crowd erupted into cheering and clapping. He too stood to his feet cheering and laughed as Everly jerked awake, immediately clapping without having a clue of what had happened. He sat back down beside her and she was already beginning to fall asleep again. But this time, her head fell to his shoulder where it then rested. He tensed, caught off guard. He wasn't quite sure how to react, but a smile naturally registered on his face as he watched on with the game, careful not to make any sudden movements.

~~~

"You slept the whole time." Steve chuckled as he glanced down at his best friend walking beside him. The sidewalk was illuminated only by the street lamps that pierced through the darkness of the night sky.

"I was resting my eyes, there's a difference." She argued, her tone stern. Though her cheeks grew to a light shade of red from embarrassment. The entire idea of the day was to be able to spend time with her friend again, and she slept through all of it.

"Oh of course, silly me." He gave in, still trying to suppress his laughter. They walked side-by-side in silence for a while. It wasn't the type of silence that makes you feel as if you're drowning. Instead, it was a comfortable silence that for a while, both were scared to interrupt.

"Thanks, for today." Steve said shyly. Everly stopped walking and her eyes flicked up to him.

"For what? Drooling on your shoulder and spilling popcorn in your lap?" She joked.

"Well yeah," He let out a small laugh and rubbed the back of his neck. "And everything else in between."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.9K 1.9K 39
I am not a villain, neither a hero even though I fight with hero's. I mostly of the time help the good side, if there's something in it for me. I don...
1.6M 19.6K 180
‼️The story is in 2 parts, Enjoy!! Self-insert‼️ You are a former Black Widow who has been in hiding for years. You have made amends and have dealt w...
317K 7.6K 81
"He may had her heart in the beginning, but that doesn't mean he has her heart in the end." Includes: Iron Man Iron Man 2 Thor The Avengers Iron Man...
277K 10.9K 15
"Sir, you look-" "Small, weak, not prepared for this at all?" "I was going to say agitated, but those work too." - In which Evelyn Mason isn't just a...