Aliria

By OKKAAYY25

To end a long seven year war, Princess Cassandra of House Lockhart must marry the rival Prince Tristan Mercia... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII

XIII

72 4 1
By OKKAAYY25

I've decided my first theory about Tristan was the correct one. From the accumulation of our discussions it is very clear that he is blocking himself from being with me not due to his love for Lysa but because of his want to have someone to blame for everything.

my second theory of him blaming himself for not protecting Reema is also correct leads into the first one since now he is trying to deflect his guilt onto me and I am not going to take blame for something I did not cause.

Really, I'm a very good judge of character because I have Tristan figured out perfectly. I just do not know how to make him fall in love with me.

"Lean back more." Evan instructs and I do as he says before dipping down to miss his sword swinging for me. Whilst down I yank his leg making him fall down, crawling on top of him, I place the tip of my sword on his neck.

"Boom, you're dead." I say proudly and he smiles at me holding his hands up in defense

"You're a lot better," He says, "Finally fighting the Alirian way. Without honour."

Better he says it than me. Alirian's are known for fighting dirty, our army had to adapt to their fighting style to be able to defeat them.

There was a slow round of applause from behind me which made me turn to look at King Remley standing with his son and walking towards us. Evan and I get up immediately and bow to him.

"Your Majesty," I greet, "Your grace."

"I had asked your handmaiden of your where abouts, it was a pleasant surprise to find you here." Remley spoke, "Tristan did tell me that you Highlanders train your daughters young."

He remembered? I move my eyes to Tristan who once again is looking through me like he doesn't want to be here. It must take so much energy out of him to continue hating me.

"Yes, it is tradition, Your Majesty." I confirm and Remley nods his head in understanding

"One that I hope you and Tristan start during your time together." He says, "That way others do not suffer the same as my Reema."

I lick my dry lips and nod my head in response not really sure what to say.

"Evan why are you fighting with the Princess?" Remley asks, "I'm sure her guard would provide enough competition."

Evan probably didn't know what to say to not land himself in trouble so I answer for him, "I asked him, your grace. Rican is often too soft with me and Evan helps me improve."

I smile at Evan who smiles back at me before looking back at Remley who was looking at his son who was staring at Evan and I.

"Very well." Remley agrees, "Just do not harm her, Evan."

It's a bit late for that. My muscles are in pain from our training sessions.

"Of course, Father." Evan nods

"Leave us, we have business to discuss." Remley orders and Evan bows before leaving the training grounds. Remley then faces me once Evan is at a distance he can not hear us. "The first families are going to start coming to Gods Eye for the upcoming wedding, we greet them individually and you two need to look like you're in love."

Even Remley can tell there is a clear barrier between us. Well I suppose neither of us have done much to hide it.

"Of course, your majesty." I accept, "That will be easy for myself, I however can not speak for your son."

Tristan's eyes narrow at me, "I will be fine."

"Acting like you're in love means no secret rendezvous with that Lysa girl when she returns with her intended." Remley instructs and both Tristan and I couldn't contain our shock at him knowing, "You think I am not aware of what happens in my own castle? I am aware that Princess Cassandra has made her own threats to the girl but here is mine. Cassandra as my witness, if I see or hear that Lysa was in your quarters again, Tristan, I will have her hanged."

Though a harsh way to force his son into being with me, I'm glad someone other than myself and his mother is showing him that Lysa is a barrier in our union which simply can not be. Marcella must have spoken to Remley to help him understand how important this union is.

However, I do feel for Tristan. First his mother threatens to give his brithright to a bastard and now his father threatens to kill his lover. Such a tragic life which would all have never happened if he just opened up to me.

The two men stared at each other for a while before Tristan reluctantly nodded his head, "Yes, Father."

"Perfect." Remley says tapping his son on his shoulder. "Now, Marcella has planned for you two to take a picnic together in the gardens."

Tristan like the good son he is holds out his arm for me to take which I do and Remley watches us as Tristan takes us away.

"You have managed to turn my whole family against me." Tristan utters to me and I keep a smile on my face as some of the handmaidens pass us.

"Just the more reason for you to hate me." I quip, "And you just love hating me."

"I don't hate you." He says shocking me making me look up him with curiosity, "I loath you."

I let the eye roll take over my body, he's not even convincing anymore. "You've hated me before, Tristan." I tell him, "Then you climbed into my bed naked."

"Was I supposed to sleep on the floor?" He questions as we finally each the picnic laid out for us.

"No but you don't kiss people you loathe even if trying to prove a point." I say moving away from him to sit down gracefully near the food. "You're a walking contradiction, your grace."

"Here is my overall statement, I will commit to getting married to you but I shall not touch you, you shall bare no children of mine and our marriage will be forgotten about in a year." He tells me sitting across from myself.

"Yes about that," I start picking up the grape, "Your mother and I have decided that we will be following Highlands view of marriage. Once married, there is no way out until death."

Marcella didn't agree to that because I hadn't asked her but I'm sure she would see me side of things when the time comes and seeing him squirm to find an out brought pleasure to me.

"So you die." He replies nonchalantly taking a fruit from the basket. "It means nothing to me."

His words hateful and spiteful made me wonder where I had gone wrong. In Red Calf all seemed well but when the notice to come back to Gods Eye came, he changed as if he remembered who he was.

"You don't mean that Tristan." I reply eating the grape, "If I die, my father will rain down his soldiers on Aliria and from what I gather we have far more men than you do. You and your people will die all because you want to be stubborn and blame me for all the wrongs in the world."

"You're still on that theory." He comments looking at me with those deep brown alluring eyes.

"It's no longer a theory, Tristan." I say, "You've proven me right on many occasions."

He raises his eyebrow, "How so?"

"Whenever I ask why you don't like me, why you find it impossible to being civil with me, you bring up Reema and everything my family have done to yours." I explain, "You have no reason to hate me because I have done nothing to you. My family have done a lot yes but I am not my father as you are not your father. I do not hold my mothers death against you so why do you hold Reema's against me?" He stayed quiet with the same tense jaw he has everytime he doesn't know what to say. "Atlas, I'm right, you're scared."

"I do not scare easily, Cassandra." He drawls, "And I am not scared of you."

"No?" I ask with a smirk, "Then give us a chance. The first time I do something that deserves your hatred to me, you'll be free to hate me and I won't argue."

"You said the something along those lines about that kiss."

That kiss has been replaying in my head for so long the only thing to remove it was to train.

"And you lied about that kiss." I accuse but he doesn't deny it out right, "You didn't hold your end of the bargain and so I did not uphold mine."

He picks up the wine available for us and takes a large swing. "So we get married and we be civil to each other."

"Just like your father suggested."

Tristan's eyes turned dark, "He did not suggest, he threatened."

"He wants the good of his people." I defend even though I do not entirely trust Remley, "You were in his way for securing a prospering future for his people so he threatens to move you in a position he would like."

"I don't do well with threats." Tristan informs me and I nod my head agreeing, I can attest to that. He then stares at me in silence for a while. "You are a formidable opponent in the game, Princess Cassandra."

I smile at him genuinely, "I was taught well, your grace."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 86 11
The Metania Chronicles. Book One: Tales of War and Bloodlust Princess Jalina Skylar from House Blackmoore, along with the dashing King Tristan of Sc...
263 0 17
Jewel Series: Maria Andrea Ledesma The marriage must go on... A game of Marry the princess has begun!
12.7K 291 52
{completed} The royal children weren't allowed out of the palace, not even beyond the walls. The commonwealth begins to change when a new queen will...
1.6M 75.3K 69
"What do you even need me for?" She asked , speaking into the darkness where she thought he was. "I do not need you." He answered her darkly. Even th...