An Indie Musician's Diary Vol...

By ElisabethKitzing

It's very complex, difficult, expensive, interesting and fun to be an independent music producer. And when yo... More

It's Rough Getting Started After Summer
Deeper Into Logic Pro 10.5 & Life
Logic Workflow and the CMM Book
The Vine, Sleep and the U.K.
Using Your YouTube Channel as a FaceBook Page
CDBaby UPCs and Pandora Submissions
MacBook Trouble & Making a Stereo Track Sound Fatter
A 3rd Party YouTube Claim & Multiband Compression
Clipping, Limiting & Battery Blues
Loudness/Dynamics in the Streaming Age
ifpi & Meta Tagging
Embedding ISRC codes/ID 3 Metadata Into MP3s & Wavs
Backups. Waves Plugins
Back On Track
Vocal Tips: Compression + Automation
My Don't Worry Music Video Featured & Drum Synth
Taking a stand for freedom
Social Media Analysis - Changes to be Made
Wrapping Up and Analysing 2020
How To Send A Live Concert On Zoom From Your Home Studio: Macbook; MTK12...
Pre Delay: What I've learned
Getting Ready to LiveStream Properly
Declaring International Taxes on Music Revenue
Let Peace Guide Your Mixing
Creating & Exporting an Instrumental Backtrack Mix
April 22, 2021: My first Swedish Song Drop!
Adding a "Wow" Transition Before a Drop
I'm Scared But I Keep On Going
My First Time on Live TV

We Did It! - Acoustic Treatment

3 0 0
By ElisabethKitzing

Welcome back to the story of how I make music (books and videos too). It's August 2020

I have to admit that during the creation of the entire Change My Mind album (a process that I  explained in detail in Volumes 1 and 2 of the Indie Musician's Diary), I didn't have the proper acoustic treatment in the studio. So now you know that you, too, can mix a whole album using crazy makeshift panels, propping up various mattresses in the corners of your room and creating a sound barrier behind where you stand in front of your your microphone shield. That is how I got by with my first single and with the creation of the first album. 

It really wasn't a good way to do things but it was all I had. I have worked with other producers that didn't have more than a bookcase behind the microphone stand and who mixed everything in the box using earphones. They had good results and I thought I could get by with my method too. 

But my sisters had donated funds towards acoustic treatment and I felt I should get around to it this summer. So my husband and I sent away for  the foam sound absorbent panels, base traps and spray adhesive from Amazon and went to a Home Depot like store to get panels.

It wasn't as expensive as I feared, though and the result was amazing (coupled with a sound reducing curtain on the right side of the mixing area.

 Here is what we bought for the pic above

That made 6 panels with 12 pads on each and two corners filled with base traps. (The other two corners were either cut away by the curtain or filled with a sofa). Also, we were able to fix the angled inner roof by hanging a pleated curtain above the couch. 

The difference in the sound is amazing. It sounds a bit quieter and all the echoes/reflexes are now reasonable or unnoticeable.

I wish I would have invested in this long before. The real test will come when I start recording again. (Hopefully soon). First I have to clear up some problems that occurred when I updated my Mac OS. (next chapter) and get back onto my book that is now up in 72 000 words and counting. 

 The plan is to work four hours a day with the book and divide the rest of the day up with music creation and housework. 

Until next time....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63K 1.4K 27
~Completed March 27th, 2020~ "Wanna be part of Smosh for two weeks? (Smoshtest)", the title of Smosh's new video made your heart skip a beat, was thi...
11.4K 447 29
Sydney didn't have much, but that was fine with her. She didn't need much. Growing up on the Washington coast in a lonely beach town, working quietly...
210 5 2
self help book for everyone out there..... 1)cultivating positive thoughts Your thoughts have a huge impacts on your well being. If you want to be in...
5.9K 338 13
Life is not always Easy, YOU can't go back to change the beginning, but you can start from where you are and CHANGE THE ending My LIFE'S jour...