Association of Failures Twice...

By dont_be_serious

Based on the Japanese light novel "Classroom of the Elite" by Syougo Kinugasa. "Don't just aim for Class C."... More

Intro: Association of Failures
1: Welcome
2: Thanks!
3: Wanna Join?
4: Let's Swim!
6: Hang Out
7: Beginning of the Worst
8: I Need You
9: Starting the Move
10: Colder than Ice
11: Convince and Persuade
12: Another Dilemma
13: A Cunning Solution
14: The Midterm Exam
End of Phase I: Celebration
Interlude: The Girl In Glasses
15: Her Trouble, Our Problem
16: She Needs Us and We Need Her
17: A Gleam of Hope
18: Would You Be My...
19: Slowly Progressing
20: The OtHer
21: The Trial
22: Their Downfall
23: Saved
End of Phase II: Party! Party!
Interlude: The Wings of Icarus
24: Sweet, Sweet Summer Week?
25: Searching the Forest
26: A Helping Hand
27: First Night
28: Good Morning
29: C B A
30: A Bountiful Discovery
31: Who to Trust?
32: Getting the Job Done
33: Reached the Limit
34: A Turn of Events
35: The Revelation

5: Will You Be My Friend?

2.9K 210 48
By dont_be_serious

• Will You Be My Friend? •

Y/n's POV

"Hey, Dahyun! Do you want to stop by a café on our way back today?" A female student asked.

"Sure! Oh, but wait just a minute, okay? I want to invite someone to join us." Dahyun then headed toward Tzuyu, who was in the middle of putting her textbook into her bag. "Hi, Tzuyu! Would you like to come with us to a café today—"

"Not interested." Tzuyu threw Dahyun's invitation back in her face, with no room for ambiguity.

This wasn't a particularly unusual scene. Ever since the first day of school, Dahyun had regularly tried to invite Tzuyu to do fun things with her.

Despite the harsh rejection, Dahyun kept smiling. "Well, I'll invite you again next time."

"Wait, Dahyun." Surprisingly, Tzuyu called out to Dahyun, who was holding the doorknob. "Don't invite me again. It's a bother."

However, Dahyun didn't appear saddened. Instead, she smiled as she answered, "I'll invite you again."

Just before Dahyun closes the door, I faintly heard one of the other girl's words. "Dahyun, just stop inviting Tzuyu. I don't like her—"

Tzuyu, who was right next to me, must have heard as well, but she did not indicate that she cared.

"You won't try to invite me to places, will you?" She asked.

I shook my head. "I understand your personality well enough. It's pointless to try."

"I'm relieved to hear that." She then walked out of the classroom by herself.

There's no reason to stay here any longer, so I began to pack up my things.

The moment I stood up, Jihyo called out to me. "Hi, Y/n. There's something I'd like to discuss with you. Do you have a moment?"

"Oh. Sure. What is it?"

She sighed and glanced at the seat beside me. "It's about Tzuyu. I was wondering if something was wrong. She always seems to be alone. Could you possibly tell her to try to get along with people a little?"

"Well, that's up to the individual, isn't it? Besides, Tzuyu isn't making trouble for anyone else."

"You're right, of course. However, many people have voiced their concerns about it. I absolutely do not want any bullying in our class." Jihyo looked at me with the purest intentions.

"I think it'd be better for you to tell her directly rather than talk to me, Jihyo."

"You have a point. Sorry for bringing it up," Jihyo said, then excused herself.

Tzuyu was always alone, day after day. If this continued, within a month, she'd be like a tumor in our class.

However, this was Tzuyu's personal problem and something I probably shouldn't involve myself with.

After leaving our classroom, I went straight toward the dormitory.

Dahyun, who was supposed to have left with a friend earlier, appeared to be waiting for someone while leaning up against the wall. Noticing me, she smiled like always.

"Dahyun? I thought you left with your friends? Are you waiting for someone?"

"Yes." Her smile grew bigger "I was waiting for you."

"Waiting for me?" I tilted my head. "Why?"

She scratched her cheek and chuckled lightly. "There's... something I wanted to talk to you about. Do you have a minute?"

"I don't have any plans, so I have a lot of time. What do you wanna talk about?"

She lowered her hand and looked at me. "Have you seen Tzuyu smile even once?"

"Huh? Well... No, not that I can remember."

Dahyun then took my hand in hers and drew near me, closing the distance between us. "You know, I... I want to become friends with Tzuyu. You seem to know her pretty well, Y/n."

I shrugged as I breathed in her delightful scent. "It's not like I'm watching her or anything. It's just that you tend to learn a lot about the person who sits next to you. Wait. Didn't Tzuyu already warn you not to try again? I don't know what you can say to her next time."

Dahyun was tremendously popular with everyone. She was persistently warm and gentle toward Tzuyu as part of her continued efforts to become her friend.

That wasn't something an ordinary student could do. That was probably why everyone adored her.

"Won't you... help me?"

Tzuyu wasn't the type to mince words, and I didn't want to see Tzuyu hurt Dahyun by saying something merciless. I'll just turn Dahyun down to avoid any later heartbreak.

"I understand how you feel, Dahyun, but—"

"So that means... you can't?"

Cute + Pleading + Upturned Eyes = Lethal.

I sighed. "I guess I don't have a choice. Just this once, okay?"

"Really?!" Dahyun's face lit up. She released my hand and hugged me. "Oh, thank you, Y/n!"

Even though I'd agreed to help her, I was still the kind of person who preferred to remain in the background. I shouldn't do anything reckless.

"So, what exactly are we going to do?" I asked once she let go of the hug. "Even if you say you want to be friends with her, it's not that simple."

Dahyun nodded. "You're right. Well, first, I think we should try to make Tzuyu smile."

"Make her smile?"

Smiling means letting your guard down in front of another person, even if just a little.

So, because Dahyun had asked, I was going to help her make Tzuyu smile.

Was such a thing possible?

I wondered...

No. I doubt it.

"Anyway, I'm going to try to invite Tzuyu out again," Dahyun said. "Is there any place that she wants to go? Ah! How about Palate? I've gone to Palate often, and Tzuyu might have overheard us talking about it before.*

Palate was one of the most famous cafés on campus. I had heard about Dahyun and the other girls going there often after class. And if I'd heard about it, then Tzuyu must have also been aware.

Then, an idea sprung on my mind. I turned to Dahyun and began to tell her my plan.

*That certainly sounds like it would work! You're so smart, Y/n!" She complimented.

I averted my eyes from her and brushed my hair up. "I don't think my plan has anything to do with being smart. Anyway, if you try inviting Tzuyu, she'll probably refuse you outright. So, how about I invite her?"

"Sure! I think that Tzuyu trusts you, Y/n."

I quickly shifted my gaze to her. "Why do you think that?"

"Well, I guess it just looks that way to me. She seems to trust you more than anyone else in the class, at the very least."

I shrugged. "That's only because I was able to talk to her, but that was a coincidence."

I'd just happened to be seated next to her on the bus. If that hadn't happened, then I probably wouldn't have talked to her.

Dahyun tilted her head. "But don't you meet almost every person for the first time by chance? And then they can become your friend or your best friend... Or even your boyfriend or girlfriend, or your family."

"Hmm. That's true,* I murmured.

When classes had ended, Dahyun and I exchanged looks, signaling each other to go ahead with the plan.

I stood and went in front of my seatmate, who was placing her things in her bag. *Hey, Tzuyu. Do you have some free time today?"

"I don't have any time to waste," she zipped her bag as she replied. "I have to go back to the dormitory and prepare for tomorrow."

I placed both my hands on her desk and cornered her. "I want you to go somewhere with me for a little bit."

She looked up and met my eyes. "What are you after?"

"Do you think that by inviting you out, I'm after something?" I tilted my head.

"Well, when you invite me so suddenly, I naturally have my doubts. However, if there is a specific matter that you wish to discuss, I wouldn't mind listening."

I didn't have anything to talk about, of course.

"You know Palate? The school café with tons of couples? I don't think I can go there all by myself. I kind of get the feeling that single people are banned from entering there or something."

Tzuyu leaned back on her chair and crossed her arms. "I certainly can't argue that most of their customers seem to be in a relationship, but aren't single people also allowed to patronize the café?"

"You're right. However, even though they're single, they're still with their friends. I might also be the center of attention if I was just alone. You know I dislike trouble, right?"

Tzuyu tried to recall what Palate was like, seemingly lost in thought for a moment. "You may very well be right. It's unusual for you to express such a well-reasoned opinion, Y/n. I suppose inviting me to come along is natural since you supposedly have... no one else to invite, correct?"

I sighed. "That makes it sound like I'm imposing on you, but yes."

"And if I refuse?"

I removed my hands from her desk and fixed my posture. "Then I'd have no choice but to accept. I can't force you to give up your private time, after all."

"Your issue with the café is undoubtedly accurate," she stood and placed her sling bag on her shoulder. "I can't stay there for too long, though. Is that all right?"

"Of course. We'll be quick."

Probably.

If Tzuyu knew that Dahyun was involved in this, she would have probably thrown some strong words at me.

Anyway, I'd begun to think that, since I was able to talk to Dahyun, I might be able to make friends with Tzuyu myself. Besides, whether it was a café or a lecture hall, Tzuyu always came with me, even as she complained about it.

For someone like me, who had difficulty making friends, this was probably a miracle.

Tzuyu and I left the classroom and made our way to Palate on the first floor. Girls and boys began to congregate there, one after another, enjoying their time after class.

"There's a lot of people here," Tzuyu muttered.

"Is this your first time doing anything social, Tzuyu? Oh, right. I suppose it would be. You're always alone."

"Was that supposed to be sarcastic? How childish.* Tzuyu rolled her eyes as she spoke.

I'd meant to engage in some playful ribbing, but apparently, that was impossible for Tzuyu.

After we placed our order at the cashier, we both got our drinks. I ordered a single serving of pancakes, which Tzuyu took notice of.

*You like sweets?"

I shrugged. "I just wanted to have pancakes.*

I didn't particularly like or dislike cakes and stuff, but I needed a believable reason.

I then slowly scanned our surroundings. *There aren't any open seats, though. I guess we'll just have to wait a bit... Oh, never mind. There are some open seats over there.*

I noticed two girls quickly got up from their table, so I hurriedly went to secure our spot. I set my bag down on the floor and took my seat. Tzuyu also did the same.

*Hey, Tzuyu. I just thought of something. If the people around here see us like this, they'll probably think we're a cou...* I didn't get to continue my sentence because of Tzuyu's expressionless, or rather, cold aura.

*Cou... Cousins. Yeah, right. They'll probably think we're cousins." I then averted my eyes from her and drank my frappé.

A few seconds later, I heard the two girls sitting next to me say, "Let's go," before grabbing their drinks and leaving.

Another patron sat down immediately.

It was Dahyun.

"Ah, Tzuyu! What a coincidence! And Y/n too!* Dahyun had given us a simple greeting, maintaining the ruse that this was a coincidence.

Tzuyu regarded Dahyun with narrowed eyes, then slowly turned her gaze toward me.

Of course, this was something that Dahyun and I had planned out in advance.

Dahyun's friends had already secured four seats for us ahead of time.

When we arrived at Palate, I sent them a signal to make two seats available. After some time, the other girls next to me left, giving Dahyun a chance to come and sit down.

As a result, our meeting looked like it'd come about via coincidence.

*Did you come here together, Y/n? Tzuyu?" Dahyun asked.

I nodded. "Yes, we just happened to. Did you come by yourself, Dahyun?"

"Yeah. Today, I—"

"I'm leaving," interrupted Tzuyu.

I placed down my drink and looked at her. "But Tzuyu, we just got here."

"You don't need me now that Dahyun is here, though. Am I wrong?" Tzuyu raised her eyebrow as she spoke.

"That's not a problem. Dahyun and I are just classmates."

"You and I are just classmates, too. Besides..." Tzuyu gave Dahyun and me an icy look. "I don't like this. What are you two plotting?"

"N-no. It was just a coincidence," Dahyun replied.

"When we sat down earlier, I saw the two girls seated here were from Class D, along with the two girls seated next to us as well. Was that just a coincidence, too?"

"Oh, wow, really? I didn't notice at all," Dahyun chuckled nervously.

"Also, we came straight here after classes ended. No matter how much those girls rushed, they could only have been here for about one to two minutes at the most. It was far too early for them to get up and leave. Am I wrong?"

Tzuyu was even more incredibly observant than I'd thought. Not only did she remember our classmates' faces, but she'd quickly grasped the situation.

"Um, well..." A bewildered Dahyun signaled for me to save her, which Tzuyu didn't fail to notice.

I sighed. "Sorry, Tzuyu. We planned this."

"I thought as much." Tzuyu leaned on her seat and crossed her arms. "I thought this whole thing was a little suspicious right from the start."

"Tzuyu, please be my friend!" Dahyun just came out and asked her directly, no longer trying to hide anything.

Tzuyu massaged her temple and closed her eyes. "I've already said this many times. I want you to leave me alone. I have no intention of becoming friends with anyone in our class. Can you not understand that?"

"Being alone all the time is a somber way to spend your life." Dahyun looked down and fidgeted her fingers. "I just want to get along with everyone in our class."

"I wouldn't deny you your wish, Dahyun. However, it's wrong to try forcing people into something against their will. And being alone doesn't make me sad."

"B-but..."

"Besides, do you think that I would be happy if you forced me to become your friend? Do you think that feelings of trust would arise out of something forced?*

Tzuyu then sighed. *It's my fault for not being clear enough with you, so I will not blame you this time. But if you try this again, please keep in mind that I will not forgive you, Kim Dahyun." Tzuyu took her untouched latte and stood.

"Whatever you say, I really want to be friends with you. When I saw you, I felt like it wasn't the first time we'd met. I wondered if you felt the same way—"

"This is a waste of time." Tzuyu raised her voice, cutting Dahyun off without mercy. "I find everything you're saying unpleasant."

Even though I'd told Dahyun I would help her, I had absolutely no intention of butting in.

But...

"I kind of understand your thoughts on the matter, Tzuyu. I've actually often wondered if friends are essential," I said.

Tzuyu shifted her gaze on me. "You're saying that? You've been trying to make friends since day one."

"I won't deny that. However, you and I are similar. I wasn't able to make friends until I came to this school. In middle school, I never knew anyone's contact information or hung out with anyone after class. I think that partly explains why I was compelled to talk to you."

Dahyun was visibly surprised when she heard me say that like she couldn't believe it.

"That's the first time I've heard something like that." Tzuyu crossed her arms "However, even if you and I share some things in common, I think we took different paths to reach this point.*

*You wanted friends but couldn't get them while I considered friends unnecessary, so I didn't make any. Saying we are similar would be incorrect. Am I wrong?"

I stood from my seat and looked directly into her eyes. "No. But telling Dahyun that she was unpleasant is going too far. Are you really okay with this? If you choose not to get along with anyone else, you'll be alone for the next three years. That sounds pretty painful."

"It will be my ninth year in a row of being alone, so I'll be fine. Oh, and if you include kindergarten, it would be slightly longer.*

Had she just nonchalantly dropped a bombshell? That she'd always been alone for as long as she could remember?

Tzuyu sighed profoundly and looked straight into Dahyun eyes. *Dahyun, if you don't try to force me into anything, I won't be rude. You're not stupid, so you understand what I'm telling you, right?" With that, Tzuyu left us in the noisy café.

Dahyun wordlessly collapsed into her seat. However, she instantly recovered, and her usual smile returned. "I wasn't able to become Tzuyu's friend, but I was able to learn something important. I'm sorry, though. I feel like Tzuyu might hate you now because you helped me."

I shook my head. "Don't worry about it. I just wanted Tzuyu to consider the benefits of friendship."

Thinking it'd be inconsiderate for the two of us to hold up table space for four people, I moved to sit next to Dahyun

"Even so, I was shocked when you said that you didn't have any friends, Y/n. Is that true? Why were you all alone?" She looked at me with concerned eyes.

I averted my eyes and nodded. "Yes, it's true. Jeongyeon, Momo, and Chaeyoung are the first friends I've ever made. I still don't know if that's my fault or the fault of the circumstances I was in."

"But when you made friends, did it make you happy?"

"Well, I feel like I'm happier than I was before.*

Dahyun's eyes sparkled as she smiled at me, nodding her head in agreement.

*Tzuyu has her own way of thinking. There's probably nothing that we can do about that," I changed our topic.

"Do you really think so? Is it not possible to make friends with her?"

I then looked at her. "Why are you desperate to be her friend, Dahyun? Don't you already have more friends than everyone else? There's no reason to focus on Tzuyu."

"Well, I wanted to be friends with everyone. Not just the people in Class D, but the students from other classes, too. But if I can't become friends with one girl in my class, then that means I'll never achieve my goal..." She looked down and sighed.

I looked at the door where Tzuyu exited. "Just think of Tzuyu as a special case. Your only option is to wait for a real coincidence to come along."

Not something forced, but a natural event that would connect the two of them. When that time came, they might become friends.

Dahyun smiled, then leaned on my shoulder. "Thank you, Y/n."

|Rinrin|

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 3K 52
"I hate you then I love you. It's like I want to throw you off a cliff, and then rush to the bottom to catch you" Y/N is a young, introverted, tsunde...
140K 2.7K 16
⚠️: If you're innocent/sensitive bye~🔞 Son Chaeyoung, a very smart and hardworking daughter, graduates and becomes a professor at the age of 17 beca...
138K 5.1K 31
[COMPLETED + G!P + bad words] Lee Y/N a 21 year old woman who is finding a job since she's just playing games all day and night. Her friend who works...
102K 3.8K 46
{COMPLETED} Mina the girl who sticks to herself doesn't want to get involved with any of the other girls who are 'popular' they don't see things like...