CHAPTER XV (Part 2)

Lynn Jessome stood with her German Shepherd at the end of her driveway and flagged down the bus. Calvin skidded to a stop on the gravel shoulder, checked both directions, and waved them across.

Seamus bounded in front, pulling the leash taught and dragging Lynn behind him. His fat tongue hung like the loose strap of a seatbelt. It swung back and forth above the pavement, fanning strings of drool like a faulty lawn sprinkler. Dogs, Billy thought.

"That's what I'm talkin' about," said Calvin, pulling the door open. "You could put a saddle on him and ride the rest of the way!"

Seamus pawed up the steps, his claws scratching and clicking on the metal. He gave a loud bark, and Calvin held out his hand. The dog sat, lifted up a meaty paw, and rested it in the driver's palm.

"Won't see a cat doin' that anytime soon, Einstein," Calvin said, winking at Billy as he gave Seamus a rub on the snout. "Good boy. Who's a good boy?"

"You won't see a cat with breath that smells like poop," Billy muttered, wincing as the dog sniffed at his pack, and panted near his face.

Billy nodded to Lynn as she entered the bus. Her hair seemed blonder in the morning light, like summer wheat swaying against her shoulders. She had on the same jean jacket she always did over a white shirt, along with the same pair of frayed shorts she had worn to Tommy's party. Her skin was more tan now, with fresh clusters of freckles dotting her cheeks and nose, making her eyes even brighter than before.

"Hey, is it cool if Seamus comes on?" Lynn said, winding the leash around her wrist and smoothing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Cooler than school, missy," Calvin said, rubbing the strip of cinnamon fur on the dog's chest. "We're not hurtin' for space. Won't even cost ya'."

"Wouldn't matter. He's paying." Lynn made the shape of a gun with her thumb and index finger, and aimed a shot Billy's way. 

"Oh...right," Billy said, unzipping his bag and pulling out his piggy bank. He rotated the copper-plated bottom of the tin pyramid until he heard a click, pried the panel loose, and poured a river of coins into his lap. He was slow and methodical – counting out two equal stacks according to the size and value of the coins – and then handed them carefully to Lynn.

"You're so uptight," she snorted, collapsing the piles in her hands and dumping the lot into the pay meter. She sat down across from Billy, with the dog lying down between them in the aisle.

"Ahhh, so you're both going to the fair. Am I privy to witness the first buds of young love?" Calvin popped his eyebrows up and down in the mirror.

"Pffft, no," Billy said, squelching a rising blush.

"This nerd? As if," Lynn said, rolling her sparkling blues.   

"Whatever you say, kids," Calvin said, shutting the door and shifting into gear. "Whatever you say."

The bus pulled away from Lynn's house and picked up speed. A big sign on the side of a nearby barn advertised: COUNTY FAIR THIS WEEK!!! 15KM. It had a cartoon tiger's face on the right, with a big red arrow pointing down the road.