Chapter 67: The Countdown

Everyone ran, little did they know they were running away from me. I held onto my hammer, wanting to get rid of it. For some reason, I was more afraid of being it than not being it. I sauntered, not wanting to rush. Besides, Ryan had a plan, so I took my time.

 After a few minutes of slowly walking around the living room, not bothering to feel around anywhere, I stopped hearing people running. Everyone had seemed to find their hiding spots. Still taking my time, I feared getting disqualified. I left the room, just in case I had brought any attention upon myself. I knew my father was watching me and I also knew he wasn't that dumb. I went towards the kitchen and walked around, touching nothing but the walls hoping, just hoping no one would be standing there.

Jasper, Tate, Caroline, and Mariel was left, and I would flood with guilt if I had to murder any of them. Exiting the kitchen, I was growing scared and impatient that Ryan wouldn't do what he promised. I probably shouldn't have had any hope that Ryan would come to the rescue and be my savior, but I admit, I held onto the thought tightly. Even if he didn't get me out alive, I didn't want Jasper, Tate, and Coraline to die. In a horrible way, this was my fight, not theirs.

I walked up the stairs, holding onto the rails with every step. As I got closer to the top, I heard the sound of someone's heart beating. I then took two more steps and heard breathing. I couldn't believe it, someone was hiding on the steps of the stairs. I slowed down, wishing for the person to run downstairs or up. I moved to the middle, not wanting to knock into them. If I caught them without saying, "you're dead" the game was over for me and possibly them too.

Holding my breath and avoiding touching the rails, I continued to walk up. When I finally made it to the top, the breathing grew louder. It was like heavy panting. So heavy, so fast, so loud that it made me wonder if the stitches were connected to their mouth. The sounds of troubled breathing sent my adrenaline flying, and I felt scared. Terrified. Frozen. I didn't like that noise at all, and it screamed nightmares into my mind like being approached by a ghost. I wanted to run, but I couldn't seem to tell where it was coming from. At last, I finally walked up the stairs but regretted my choice when someone grabbed me.

"Just get it over with," someone begged silently while holding onto my shoulders. I didn't recognize the sound, for the voice was hoarse and dry. 

I tried my best to push them away, but they wouldn't let me go. My mind raised. What if it was Jasper, or his sister, Mariel, or Tate? I began to cry because they wouldn't let me go and somewhere in the air, someone was counting down.

8, 7, 6.

I had to act. It was a must. I raised my hammer in the air, hoping, praying this wasn't my friends, and Ryan had somehow put a decoy in the game. I believed that there was no way this was one of my friends. Ryan had my friends. He promised to save them. He promised, and you're not supposed to break a promise.

3,2.

I closed my eyes, letting the hammer slam down on either their head or shoulder. It could have been anything, I couldn't see to tell; however, I felt the blood fly against my lips. The person's heavyweight dragged me along with them, and I was too slow to react. Both of us, a dead body and myself tumbled down the stairs, painfully bumping against each step and each other. 

Jasper yelled out. "I found a dead body." 

The lights came on. My heart dropped when I had heard his voice, but fell, even more, when I looked underneath me. Mariel laid dead in a small pool of blood. The tears fell out faster than I could blink because I had so much hope that she would somehow make it out of this alive. Jasper immediately ran up to hug me, but I kept my eyes on Mariel. Her stitches were ripped out of her mouth. It was possible that she ripped them out, but why? Why didn't she continue the game? Why did she give herself away?

I hugged Jasper tight, ready to fall because I felt like a massive boulder was on my chest making it hard to breathe. I couldn't breathe and sucking in the air became painful. Mr. Harmon appeared next to us, whereas Mariel's body disappeared. How depressing it was to see Mariel die twice. It was an unexplainable feeling. It hurt so much that when Jasper tried to help me up, I couldn't work my knees. They were weak as jelly.

"Wait a minute," my father's voice went dark. "The other two aren't here."

Sure enough, Tate and Caroline weren't here. No one ever came downstairs, and there was no peep from them. I watched as my dad snap his fingers, but nothing happened. "They're not here," I heard him whisper with wide eyes.

Jasper looked around then started walking around, trying to find his sister and friend. I didn't bother to look because I knew where they were. They were with Ryan. A smile almost crossed my face, but it left when my father shrugged.

"Fine," he said in a satisfied tone. "Guess it's down to you two."

Jasper's body unwillingly appeared next to Mr. Harmon, and a card appeared in both of our hands. Mine was blank, and I was not the murderer. I smile because all I could think about was how I wouldn't have to kill another friend. However, there was one problem. A big problem actually. One that scared that made me freeze. Before the lights went off, Abby appeared behind Jasper, and she was smiling. Smiling in a sinister way as if she had a great idea that was bad.

"Lights off! Begin!"

***

So close to the end!