Chapter 4 - Roone

Her shocked face, when she saw me entering the class, was priceless. It's so funny that I get to be a senior again, but mission comes first, which means her safety is a priority. At least for a few months until the Selection finishes and, then, I can return home. But not before I have a little fun here, I grin at the thought.

The girls here are something else, they like chasing the forbidden fruit - prude by day and addicts by night. I mean playing with fire can be exciting if you know what you are doing. Apparently, the chemicals secreted during sex react with the nanoids in their bloodstream making them high, sometimes euphoric. At least, that's what Matt was intensively researching before the last-minute change in his mission. Too bad he was assigned to babysit a dude.

I take my place at the back of the class. I can see she's still in awe. Breathe Nerissa!

The professor, a short man with an ugly moustache plastered on his face, notices something is off with her. A second later, she sits up, straight as a statue, and pretends to be sick. I know very well that's not the case, for I've seen the change in her mood after she recognized me. And here I thought she can't amaze me anymore.

As soon as he lets her go, she darts out the door. I'm almost on my feet, when I remember I have to ask permission first. Oh boy, I don't have time for this. One of the reasons I've been sent here is to watch and guard her until she will be designated a life-partner. All I know is that she's important to them, a key in their experiment - not that it really matters to me. Work comes first, always, and that is more than enough. I raise my hand and I can say he's annoyed by my interruption. Come on, old man, I don't have all day.

'Yes, Mr. Creed?' He asks on a fake calm voice, the ends of his moustache flickering awkwardly in the air.

I sit up and adopt a servile position. That should do it. It always does.

'May I excuse myself, sir? I have to visit the restroom.' I ask, fluttering my lashes at him to match his ridiculous demeanor.

If that doesn't make him budge, I don't know what will. I hear Elias chuckle and I'm pretty sure Matt cannot wait to make fun of me later. I roll my eyes at the thought.

He is either not reading past my mockery or maybe it's the fact that I supposedly am the child of a high official, because, an instant later, he nods and passes me a plastic card. I walk calmly to the door, only to bolt down the corridor once it closes behind me. She said she'll head to the Medical Centre, which takes me a while to find. The tall glass building is all the way in the other part of the campus, still, I've not seen any trace of her yet. A woman in a white robe greets me from behind the counter as I enter the medical facility.

'Please, excuse me, but I was wondering if Ner...Miss White has already checked-in. I was sent to retrieve her considering her poor condition.' I lie masterfully, tapping my fingers on the marble top, and giving away my lack of patience. I swear, talking to them like this is more exhausting than I though.

She raises her eyebrows and starts scanning me over her cat-eye glasses. It must be my clothes that take her by surprise, because I surely am holding my poker face in place. She finally takes her eyes from me and starts typing her name in the database. By the look on her face, I already know Nerissa is not here.

'I am sorry, it seems she's not...', her voice echoes from behind, still I had long gotten out the electrical doors and didn't catch her last words.

Where could she go? I've searched everywhere around the Institute and there is no sign of her. I take a look at my watch. Damn it! I have to go back. My heart starts pounding. How on Earth could I lose her?