Chapter 4

THE COUNT SUMMONED me.

I was brought into one of his offices where he conducted business and met with serfs to collect taxes and food. My dark hair was loose around my face, down to the waist of my tunic, but Fleurine had smoothed it through with her boxwood comb. Under her direction, I fastened my worn leather belt about my waist and tucked a wildflower behind my ear. She had known that morning what would happen, and she thought it important that I appeared well-groomed and presentable.

"No wonder Gerard has noticed you, with those pretty brown eyes and long lashes." Fleurine swelled with pride as if she were my kin. "You look much like your dear mother did at your age."

Perhaps I appeared presentable on the outside, but a harsh storm was brewing within me. I had spent the night before wondering what my future would entail—whether the Count would force me to marry Gerard Du Perron or allow me to continue with my duties as a laundress. Indeed, both possibilities seemed lamentable to me. Either I would perish as a worn, working woman or a wife to a man I did not love.

When I entered the office, my throat burned with the aroma of incense. The Count was seated atop a wooden throne at the back of the room, with arms carved into claws. His beard was neatly trimmed around his square face, and a heavy fur cloak was bunched snugly about his broad shoulders.

To his left was Bernard.

My heart stopped when I saw him. His tall figure was draped over a scroll, no doubt the manor court roll penned by his father—a document detailing all the marriages, births, deaths, and happenings of the manor. Of course, he would one day inherit the manor, and therefore it was his duty to learn the roll.

I curtseyed shakily, bending my knees and lowering my head. The action was quite alien to me, as I had never enjoyed a private audience with my noble superiors before.

When I assumed my regular posture again, Count Frederic was grinning at me with a set of yellowed, but intact teeth. "Catherine Vimont. I have neglected to arrange a marriage for you, and for that, I am most apologetic."

Because I was unsure of whether to respond, I waited, hoping for any social mishap of mine to be overlooked.

"Though it is also understood that nobles marry far sooner than peasants because we require your help with running household affairs." He reasoned, speaking more to himself than to me.

The suspense stretched between us, the Count scratching his chin as he gazed outside at the pastures and oxen. The tension was as uncomfortable as an ache in a rotten tooth. I wished he would tell me what would happen concerning my marriage so that I would know what would become of me.

"I have enjoyed working as a laundress for you and my mistress," I said, breaking my previous resolve to remain silent unless directly spoken to. I do not mind being unmarried. Whatever your eminence would require of me, I am happy to do it."

I bit my lip, scolding myself for my unrestrained deluge of words.

The Count was amused by my candour and laughed. "I see you are forthright, and so I will not spare you from honesty. The hunter of the manor, Gerard Du Perron, has asked if marriage might be arranged between the pair of you. I will oversee a match, so long as you desire to marry him."

"He is a good man and has earned my respect. I believe he would make a good husband." Count Frederic paused, touching a hand to the silver pendant upon his sleeve. He was waiting for my answer, I realized. I had not known that I would be given a choice.

"Forgive me, but what may happen... if I am not willing?" My voice was loud and clear, but my eyes remained fastened to the threadbare toes of my slippers.

Count Frederic, no longer so amused by my candour, rose from his throne and strode over to me.

Behind him, Bernard dropped the scroll, his sapphire eyes trained to his father's walking form.

Count Frederic came to stand in front of me, but I kept my head bent, my skin prickling with fear.

"You are the daughter of a man who I am indebted to, Catherine Vimont." Count Frederic began, his voice catching tears. "Many years ago, your father saved me from a bear that had wandered from the forest to the fields. I was much younger then, and quite brash, so I acted. Walking closer to look at the beast, it lunged at me and left a scar. Thank God your father was close and slaughtered the animal with his dagger."

Count Frederic gestured to a jagged red mark staining his left cheek, a feature I had not noticed before. It was covered by his beard, but upon closer inspection, resembled the intricate vein of a leaf.

"Is this the truth?" If I had asked in the presence of a less generous man, I might have paid for my lack of courtesy. To inquire of his honesty could have been perceived as an insult, for I was questioning his virtue in telling the truth.

Count Frederic chuckled again, easing me from my apprehension. "Yes, it is the truth. For his act of valour, I offered him the title and prestige of a knighthood, but he refused. All he requested from me was the protection of his daughter, a promise I made on all the holy saints."

The image of my father rose in my mind. Though I did not remember him, I recalled the powerful arms that had lifted me when he came in from the fields and the scent of marling that had clung to his tunic when he played with me on the dirt floor of our hut. I remembered a deep, rumbling voice, that shook the walls of our small dwelling with laughter. I remembered the whiskers that had tickled my cheek when he kissed me. At that moment, I wished I possessed a clearer image of my father so that I could attribute a face to the man so often described to me as good and virtuous.

"For this reason, I would like you to have the choice of whom to marry. I can assure you once again that Gerard Du Perron is a good man and an excellent hunter. He will provide a suitable home for you, and you will want for nothing." Count Frederic tugged on his beard with his bejewelled fingers as I registered his words. "But, if you wish to remain unmarried for the time being, I can assure you a continued position as laundress."

Would I find happiness with Gerard Du Perron? He had once saved me in the same way my father had saved Count Frederic. And yet, something within me chafed at the thought of marrying him, when I knew so little of him other than his occupation.

The impatient tapping of a foot halted my thoughts, and I saw Bernard glaring at his father from behind the manor roll. "You are giving the girl a choice?"

Count Frederic seemed to be as surprised as I, for his brow deepened and he tilted his chin. "Yes, my son. In the eyes of God, it is better to keep one's word. This young woman's father aided me in my hour of need, so I must ensure that his offspring is taken care of."

"But she is a peasant and a serf at that! If you gave every commoner a choice in their nuptials, we would have no say in their lives at all." Bernard demanded, his face reddening. "Before long, they would try to run us from our thrones."

"My son, you must not forget that being a cruel master earns you more enemies than friends." Count Frederic replied, touching the pendant once again. "Our servants have endured many hardships on our behalf. They are entitled to the freedom of choosing who they would prefer to marry."

"And yet, I was not given a choice in my marriage," Bernard muttered, "and sentenced to marry a cow."

I felt a pang of shock at the fact that Bernard would dishonour his new wife in such a public and callous manner, especially since they had only just wedded. He had always appeared gracious, like his father, and to spite his bride was not in his character.

"Isabelle of Clement is an honourable woman. Do not slander her." Count Frederic's tone had become as sharp as a blade.

Hoping to detach myself from the uncomfortable conversation, I kept my eyes fastened to the pasture, watching and listening as some of the serf's children galloped through the fields.

However, Count Frederic was still awaiting my answer and soon returned his attention to me. "Catherine Vimont, what have you decided? Will you marry Gerard Du Perron?"

I straightened my shoulders and pointed to my chin, knowing my reply would dictate the course of my life. "Please tell Gerard Du Perron that I am grateful for his proposal of marriage, and I pray God grants him great happiness. But, I most humbly must refuse his offer."