Prologue

And there it was, hovering above the bones of my hand. Its bluish-black glow cast eerie shadows across the ground before me. Slowly, I raised the glowing orb to my sockets to get a better look. It was almost like a mix between smoke and light. It seemed to writhe and move in my skeleton, almost imperceptibly. At the moment, I couldn't help but think, I've done it. I've separated the one thing I can use to create life, rather than take it. My soul.

Slowly but surely I approached the corpse laying at my feet, careful not to disrupt the earth around it. Bending down, I lifted the skeleton from the ground. It still had a little bit of flesh left clinging to the bones, not yet completely rotted off. Holding the corpse in one hand, I set the other one upon its rib-cage, letting my soul become that of his own. Removing my bony fingers, I observed as the flesh that had once clung to the remains now glowed the same bluish-black of my soul, and then fell to the earth in a heap of ash.

Once the flesh had all but disappeared, string-like pieces of a black substance started to wrap itself around his rib-cage, then arms, then legs, growing to form a black cloak-like coat.

Finally , you are born. Awoken by my soul, arisen from the earth, and clothed in darkness. You are as I once was, my son.