Hillside Stranglers

The Hillside Stranglers were a notorious serial killer duo who operated in Los Angeles, California, during the late 1970s. 

The perpetrators, Angelo Buono Jr. and Kenneth Bianchi were cousins and partners in crime. Their crimes shocked the nation and left a lasting impact on the communities they terrorized. Here is an overview of the Hillside Stranglers case: The crimes committed by the Hillside Stranglers primarily targeted young women and girls. 

The killing spree began in October 1977 and lasted until early 1978. The duo's modus operandi involved luring victims, often prostitutes or vulnerable young women, into their vehicle under the pretense of offering them a ride. Once in their control, the victims would be subjected to sexual assault, torture, and ultimately, murder. The bodies of the victims were dumped in various locations around the Los Angeles area, including hillsides, hence the name "Hillside Stranglers." The discovery of these brutalized corpses sparked fear and panic within the community. Law enforcement agencies initiated an intensive investigation to apprehend the perpetrators and put an end to the reign of terror. The breakthrough in the case came when Kenneth Bianchi, one of the Hillside Stranglers, moved to Bellingham, Washington, and started a new life. In Washington, Bianchi sought employment as a security guard and enrolled in a criminal justice program. 

However, he couldn't resist the urge to continue his criminal activities. In Bellingham, Bianchi committed a series of murders that bore similarities to the Hillside Stranglers' killings. However, his actions attracted the attention of the local authorities, who linked him to the Los Angeles murders through forensic evidence. Under increasing pressure, Bianchi began fabricating an elaborate story, claiming that he had a dissociative disorder and that another personality, named Steve Walker, was responsible for the crimes. His attempt to evade responsibility ultimately failed when forensic evidence, witness statements, and investigations proved his direct involvement in the Hillside Stranglers case. Bianchi eventually confessed to his crimes and provided authorities with information about his cousin, Angelo Buono Jr., who was also implicated in the killings. Angelo Buono Jr. was arrested and charged alongside Bianchi for his role in the murders. The two cousins faced a highly publicized joint trial in 1981. During the trial, evidence, and witness testimonies revealed the gruesome details of their crimes, including the sexual torture and murder of at least ten victims. 

In 1983, both men were found guilty and convicted on multiple counts of murder, rape, and kidnapping. Bianchi was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, while Buono received a life sentence with the possibility of parole. However, Buono died of a heart attack in prison in 2002. The Hillside Stranglers case remains a chilling reminder of the depths of human depravity and the lasting impact on the victims' families and communities affected by the crimes. It stands as one of the most notorious and disturbing chapters in the history of serial killers in the United States.