Chapter One

Alexa pulled at the hem of her elf skirt and debated exactly how much she needed this part-time job at the mall. The costume was itchy and always riding up, making her nearly indecent to all of the little kids running around at her feet.

"You love books. A job at the bookstore would be perfect," her sister's voice echoed in her head. Sure, she did adore the books she was surrounded by, but she never had any time to even look at them. 

Instead, she was a glorified child-wrangler dressed like a Christmassy clown.

She looked out of the tall windows at the front of the store to where snow fell on the mall's parking lot. Families bustled about with their packages, Christmas presents in waiting. Being here wasn't all bad, she decided. At least it felt hopeful. And she knew that in the end, the look on her niece and nephew's face when they had a real Christmas this year would be worth it. Every penny that didn't go in her sister's gas tank would go to Xbox games and Barbie dolls, and she didn't want it any other way.

No one in the family had seen a real Christmas since her mom died, with both her dad and sister's paychecks barely covering the essentials and Alexa's college tuition chipping away at the little extra they did bring home. But even still they hung the old stockings with care and pulled out the broken, dusty, plastic tree every year. They would never run short on decorations. Her mother made sure of that before she passed. Boxes of glass baubles, tangled lights, and silver tinsel filled their attic. Leftovers from their mother's Christmas obsession and a stern reminder that she wasn't there to celebrate anymore.

"My mommy said you shouldn't be wearing that," a little girl said as Alexa attempted to pick the crayons up off the floor of the coloring area for the thousandth time that day.

"That's nice, sweetie," she replied, trying not to let the jab bother her. She knew she was overweight. She knew the costume didn't quite fit like it should. But it wasn't really anyone else's place to tell her that she shouldn't wear it.

"Is it because your tummy is so big?" There was no malice to the little girl's voice, just curiosity.
Alexa took a deep breath before replying.

"Probably." It was about the only response she could give to this small human who didn't seem to have ever been taught any better.

"That's okay. Sometimes my mommy's pants don't fit right 'cause her butts so big," the little girl said as she started to giggle into her hand.

Alexa looked up from the crayon littered floor at the little girl pestering her for the first time. Every once in a while life gives you moments in which you can help shape people's lives. Sound bytes of advice they keep with them forever. Alexa thought that maybe now was one of those moments.

"Isn't it magical how people come in all different shapes and sizes," she said in a whimsical voice. "No one on earth is exactly alike. We're all special in our own ways."

The little girl was silent for a moment.

Yes! Alexa thought to herself. Teaching moment completely successful.

Then the girl's eyes widened. "But what about twins?"

Alexa closed her eyes and turned to walk away. Obviously, this was not going to be the lesson she was hoping for. 

"Why don't twins get to be special? And you said earth. Does that mean that there might be aliens that look like us?" the little girl continued as she trailed behind Alexa. 

A woman, clearly the girl's mother, came to collect her for her Santa picture and eyed the bottom of Alexa's skirt with distaste.

Alexa just smiled in response. She couldn't make everyone around her be decent to each other but she could at least control her own actions.