Epilogue - Death is My Frenemy Rewritten

Hehehehe... ;)

Please support my writing by giving this chapter a vote, commenting as much as you can, and sharing my writing with your friends!! 

You can also follow me on Instagram, katrocks247! :)

Nothing he'd taught me had prepared me for this.

Coldness ripped into my bare skin as I sprinted through the twisted forest. The howling wind mimicked the sounds of the shadowed creatures once darting through the trees from either side of me. They were gone now. Maybe I'd lost them. I couldn't bring myself to look back over my shoulder to find out.

And I was losing steam.

Determination slammed the gaps in the trees ahead into focus as I surpassed every threshold of energy I had left. The sound of running water made me come to a fast halt, sliding across the wet leafy ground, as I nearly slid down over a dark cliff into a river down below. Picking myself back up, I tried to find coverage fast, hunkering down behind a fallen tree. I clutched my bloody hand against my mouth, gasping for air between suppressed sobs.

I waited. Waited to know if I would finally wake up or die trying to survive this nightmare.

Crawling closer to the fallen trunk felt like knives jabbing into my injured arm. I gazed down at it, biting down on my lip to suppress the pain lodged in my throat. Moonlight shone against the gruesome sight of bone sticking out from places it shouldn't have. Lacerations from claws cut deep into my bicep. They pulsed with unbearable pain that only seemed to worsen. I pressed my hand firmly against the wound to try and slow the bleeding.

I looked up at the sky with glaring eyes, cursing the dusk and the fake stars. I could neither trust the day or the night here.

Here, in this sick, evil place. Time? Time was a lost concept. Time was lost in this world, just like him. And now me.

I thought I had a chance to save Death. How quickly it'd all gone to fucking shit.

Footsteps made themselves known. My whole body stiffened, my breath harsh pants between ice-kissed lips. I couldn't remember the last time I'd even felt warm. Warmth had abandoned me the moment Death's skin went cold beneath my fingertips.

I slowly rolled over to peer over the fallen tree, everything in me rigid, locked with terror. Three deformed creatures prowling toward the center of an open area of dirt and leaves just beyond the fallen tree.

I called them the Three Crawlers.

They growled amongst each other, low words rolling over an eerie, disturbing language that unsettled mortal ears. I wasn't in this place long before they hunted me down. They walked on all fours like dogs, their limbs too long, their mannerisms too sharp and animalistic. Their faces held no expression. How could they, when they had no eyes, no nose, no mouth? Nothing except for their reflective skin, silvery, like the mirror from which I jumped through to get here.

"There is nowhere you can hide," hissed the first crawler, its head swiveling like a snake's.

"Nowhere you can hide," echoed the second in a frighteningly excited voice.

My whole body screamed in protest as I held my injured arm and lifted myself up from behind the fallen tree. I realized something was twisted in my ankle and I sprawled forward, catching myself at the last second with a bloodied palm against the bark.

The Third Crawler, appearing to be unable to speak, but it howled at the sight of me falling, as the frigid wind kicked up around us. It was the biggest and the deadliest of the three, its hunches rippling with reflective muscle and each of its teeth the size of my head. I pictured the way its claws had effortlessly torn into my bicep, and my whole body quaked with trepidation.