Chapter 8- A pair of troublemakers

"No." Was my first reaction and subsequent answer to prince Cedric's request. I didn't want to involve myself with him in any capacity, so why would I accept such a ridiculous request? One that would certainly bring me trouble? No, was the best answer.

"Why not?" Cedric's frown was showing and didn't look friendly. "I need you to cover for us!" The frown then turned into a pleading face. Too cute to turn away from.
Damn... was it really necessary to have all the important characters cute, writer? Damn you! "The Duke is always so strict with everyone, except you. If you say it was your idea to go to the market, he wouldn't be so mad at us!" Now he gave a warm smile, trying to convince me of the plan.

I was just dumbfounded by the stupidity of the plan. The fact that they were thinking of bringing the precious daughter of the Duke out, without a proper escort, besides the obvious half-beast, was almost like they were asking for trouble with the notorious cold Duke.

Cedric, taking advantage of my silence, took me by hand and started to run in the opposite direction. "We don't have much time, sorry. I will compensate you, I promise in the name of the sacred golden moon!" That was no simple promise... according to the book, it was the deepest form of commitment on the Moon Empire. Only behind the knighthood vassalage promise and the marriage vow.

I wanted to stop, but I was being pushed so strongly by Cedric, it was impossible. Also impossible was any attempt at yelling, as I was lacking air for it. Between running and being pushed, while trying to avoid falling due to my dress and my lack of stamina, I could not see around to understand where we were going.

When we stopped, I was glad to get some rest. Not even one minute passed and Wolff, out of nowhere, came to our side with some shabby brown capes. One for each. I look at them, while he extends them for us, Cedric and I, to take. Seeing my resistance, the wolf boy smiles, showing his large canines.

"Miss we really need your help. Prince Cedric, since he came to the Sun Empire, has been unable to leave the palace. Your father, The Great Duke has forbidden it." He said in a gentle voice.

I didn't buy it. I hated the duke, more so than anyone else, but this was crap. Of course the prince Cedric was unable to get out! He is the prince of another empire, if something happened to him it would cause a war! To prevent that, the number of people it would be required for him to go on a trip like this would be too difficult to manage. Especially because he was so young, he was not even eight yet. The Duke, no matter what they wanted to say, was just trying to avoid a serious issue.

Both must have noticed by disbelief, because next Cedric put the cape on me, while Wolff, gave an even bigger smile. His amber eyes darkened as he spoke: "Miss take it like this... if you help prince Cedric he will own you something. If you don't, you will have an enemy in him. I think it is easier to know the best option."

It was then that I understood, his smile was not a friendly one, it was instead, a sort of warning. I have bigger teeth than you.
Without choice, I followed them under a small hole in this enormous white wall, which lead to the outside. During this exercise, I wondered how it was possible the Royal Palace had such a lack of security, that three children could escape unnoticed. The only justification I could think about, was because this was the novel world.  The main characters could easily get away with anything.

Maybe because the hole had been stuffy, or maybe because the palace had such a grandiose atmosphere, but the outside world seemed fresh and inviting. Still, in danger of getting caught, we ran a little, mingling with the people who passed around. Though the cape was big, I was having a hard to hide my volution pink dress. While pretty, it caught too much attention.

"Try to conceal it or we will be caught," warned Cedric, who was on my right side. I wanted to scoff at this. Of all people to scold me, he should be the last one.

"I will do so. However, your majesty, forgive me asking, but how will you hide YOUR eyes?" He slowed his pace a little, not looking at me. He and Wolff were more interested in checking the surroundings, to be sure we weren't followed. Nonetheless, I continued, sure of him listening. "From what I know, red eyes, unless if you have beast blood, are pretty rare. Only the Royal family of the Moon Empire are born with them. And even then, not all are graced with such color."

It was because of such rarity that Prince Cedric had turned Emperor. He was the only son of the actual ruler, who had been born with those eyes. Eyes, that the Moon people saw has sacred, and the Sun people feared.
And now we were going to face the unknown with the most recognizable eyes of the world... Marvelous.

"You are very informed, Miss." said Wolff with an apparent interest in his amber eyes. His smile, lucky for me, was a restrained one. This time I had gotten their full attention.

"Don't worry I will be careful not to show my face. I am more worried about you and your flashy dress. Do all girls from Sun Empire dress with so little comfort? " it was a genuine question with a certain concern, yet I still wanted to scoff. I mean, who dragged who? And who has the most recognizable eyes in the whole Empire?

"Prince, I think you are making Miss sad." Started Wolff, while peaking at the prince. "Is not courteous to speak like that to someone who is helping us. His highness, the Emperor would be disappointed." He gave a smile to the prince and to me.

I heard the words sorry and then the prince went some steps ahead, flustered by the comment. I could barely believe what I was seeing. The smug and overconfident Cedric reacting embarrassed.

"You must forgive him, Miss. Prince Cedric is not very good at expressing his feelings and it is his first year outside the Moon Empire. People and society here are very different from back home." I was graced with a warm smile and some help from him while I walked. My dress and shoes were not appropriate for big walks. "He is very happy to have your company, Miss. It is just hard to see at first."

Wolff's kindness to me reminded me of why he was my favorite character. He had been the only person who had been nice to Lucreatia in the story. Wolff har warned Cedric against the marriage with Lucreatia, and overall was the only person in the palace to actually understand her pain.
The fact he helped raise prince Nathaniel after Cedric's death, was a bonus too.

Again, I must have looked too much, because Wolff's smile disappeared and a worried frown appeared instead. Before I could think of an excuse, Cedric's voice saved me the extra work.

"I see it! I see it!" Yelled Cedric, arms up in the air.

Both of us got next to him and were able to see the square below, illuminated and bustling with people. A nice view, different from what I was now used to see, and at the same time so familiar with my past life.

It was the first time, I didn't regret coming along with the troublemakers.

What did you think about the chapter?

Are you excited about the next chapter? Tell me!

-//---------------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!