Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Original Edition: Chapter Four

12 p.m.

Mira led the way down a winding cobblestone side street in the Latin Quarter. Jake followed close behind, his sunglasses on and his face pointed up at the sun.

"I'm making an executive decision that we stop to enjoy the sun," he said.

Mira smirked. "It's not an executive decision if that's what we were already planning to do."

"Really?" he said. "Because it kinda just feels like we're wandering through the streets."

Mira stopped in her tracks and spun around, grabbing Jake by the forearms. She hadn't expected those arms to feel so strong, and for a second she almost forgot what she was going to say. Being a human with raw desires could sometimes be an inconvenience, she realized. "I'm taking you to the biggest and most luxurious park in Paris," she said. "Which is why we paid extra for chilled wine to enjoy in the blazing sun. And trust me we'll get there; but not before we pick out some amazing cheeses."

"Why didn't we just buy cheese at the grocery store we went to twenty minutes ago?" He countered.

Mira shook her head. Then laughed. Then patted him on the cheek. "Oh, sweet summer child; this is France. We don't get our cheese from a grocery store, we get our cheese from a fromagerie."

***

The kid on Christmas morning analogy was in full effect, as Mira tiptoed her way through a warmly-lit, charming little cheese shop with hundreds of varieties of cheeses displayed on all the shelves. From wheels in every size, to big blocks, to creamy delights, it was beautiful. Tears welled up in Mira's eyes, as she clasped her hands against her chest.

"I might have Kleenex up my nose but I can tell that it stinks in here." That comment was all it took for Mira's cheesy fantasy to dissolve. She turned to Jake, who crossed his arms and sneered at all the cheeses.

"I'll admit the combination of cheeses creates for a...bold smell," Mira said. "But you think I'd be dumb enough to force you to eat the pungent blue cheeses?" She smiled. "Relax."

He remained sullen. "Where's the cheddar?"

Mira rolled her eyes as the shopkeeper approached. With her best efforts in French she asked for her favourite cheeses, and then had the shopkeeper cut them, weigh them, and wrap them up within minutes. Jake followed her to the register, shaking his head.

"You bought way too much," he said. "I mean you're all about saving euros to last until tomorrow morning, and now you just blew it all on cheese."

Mira jerked her head around, glaring. "You'll be singing a different tune when you're licking off the crumbs from the wrapper."

Jake backed up a couple steps and pulled out his phone. "Wow, I should really get to all these messages; yeah they're just...piling up."

Mira shrugged; if the hot lacrosse guy thought she was a weirdo for being emotionally attached to cheese, she wasn't about to change his mind by acting like someone else. To do so would not only be weak, but foolish, because hot guys came and went, but when would she be in Paris again buying unpasteurized cheese? The choice was clear.

***

Luxembourg Gardens could bring out the inspiration in even the most cynical visitor. Not only was this massive park a frequent stop for legends like Ernest Hemingway, but its rich royal history had led to a beautiful geometric layout and perfectly manicured gardens. Though run by the government now, its large palace, massive fountain, countless sculptures, and perfect flowerbeds gave quite the regal feel.