Chapter 3- Diagnosis/First Day Back

Characters Anais, Julley, and Cassidy are property of LuanOTP on Fanfiction.net 

__________

June 18, 2008

23:13

     Sakura was just about to get ready for bed when she remembered something. She pulled her phone out of the deep pocket of her jeans, specially modified for the purpose of holstering the device. She entered her password and opened the "contacts" application, scrolling down to the name "Nael Dennaoui," and pressing the "call" button.

     Riiiing...

     Riiiing...

     Riiiing...

     Rii- "Hello?"

     "Hey Nael."

     "Hey Sakura, what's up?"

     He sounded tired.

     "I saw you were a bit, er, troubled during today's visit. Is everything alright with you?"

     There was a long pause followed by a deep sigh on the other end of the line.

     "I'm just dandy, but I'm a bit worried for your daughter. What we've been seeing in the subjects, her included, are rapidly deteriorating telomeres. What that mean-"

     Sakura's heart rate instantly skyrocketed as she began to panic.

     "She's going to die young."

     "Not necessarily, but without intervention of some kind, almost definitely. There are some theories about extending lifespan through gene therapy, but they're a fair bit away from being brought into practice, let alone safe."

     Another tense pause as Sakura tried to process the prospect of her daughter's death.

     "How long does she have? When will the treatment be ready?"

     "Right now estimates are between 3-6 years for a reliable gene therapy solution, and in your daughter's case," a shuffling of papers could be heard from the doctor's end, "She has 3-4 years before she suffers irreversible damage to her genome."

     "Keep me posted." She hung up immediately, not wanting the doctor and her friend to hear her tears.

     As the first droplet streamed down her cheek, leaving a dark streak on her fur, the door to the bedroom opened behind her.

     "Hey honey how was- Oh."

     It took but two seconds for Ryan to realize the love of his life was hurt.

     "What happened?"

     When she explained, his expression hardened.

     "She will be alright."

     He dropped his briefcase and hugged her in an effort to console her.

     "She survived birth against all odds, remember? If she can do that, she can get through this."

     He couldn't tell whether he believed himself or not, but decided that both he and his wife couldn't afford to think otherwise. The couple held each other for an unknown amount of time, trying to be brave with marginal success. Ryan no longer cared about getting ready for bed or setting his alarm for work the next morning. He laid down immediately with his soulmate, falling asleep holding onto her for dear life.