Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

4. Holly, Intrigued

Holly lifted her chin, more eager than she wanted to admit to hear what this enigmatic woman would say. What did she think of Holly anyway? After the woman had surveyed her brother and then given Holly a once-over, Holly was dying to know.

Another cryptic smile. "You're more than all right."

Holly's chest inflated with irrational pride. She had no idea what that actually meant, but if this beautiful woman thought she was more "all right" than her sought-after brother, she would take it.

"I think you're more than all right too," Holly ventured, hoping for some kind of reaction.

There it was! That spark of light in those dark brown eyes. Her words had pleased her. Holly was sure of it.

With a small smile still on her face, the mysterious woman—what was her name anyway? Holly needed to find out—wandered to the next tree. Slender fingers stroked one of the branches. "This one's pricklier than the other one."

Holly nodded absently, still watching those fingers. "Yeah, spruces have sharper needles."

The woman moved closer to the tree and sniffed. "It doesn't smell as nice either. But you said it was good at holding heavy ornaments, right?"

Holly grinned, oddly pleased. "You were listening."

"I like learning new things."

"We'll make a tree nerd out of you yet."

Her lips twisted a little. "I'm already a nerd."

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

The woman gave Holly a strange look, as if to say, "You don't think so?"

Holly wondered if there was a polite way to say big brains turned her on. "What's your name, by the way?" she asked instead.

"Summer."

"Summer," Holly said slowly. She's a warm breeze on this cold night. "It suits you."

"Thanks."

With the lull in the conversation, they heard the elderly woman across the way say, "You're a life-saver, Wreath." She stretched up as far as her orthopedic shoes would allow and smacked a kiss onto Wreath's cheek. "And you'll set up the tree too?"

"Yup," he replied. "Free with delivery, Mrs. Finley. Just like last year."

"I live alone, you know. Not really a missus anymore."

"I remember."

Holly looked over in time to see the white-haired woman beaming at her brother. "You see?" she told Summer. "He even affects the elderly."

Summer seemed to peer into her. "And you want elderly men making passes at you?"

Holly wrinkled her nose. "Not really, no. I just—" I just want to feel lovable now and then. Sometimes I want to get the girl. But insecurities were unattractive, so Holly made a joke instead. "Men aren't quite my type. But Mrs. Finley has a certain pizazz, don't you think?"

Summer tilted her head as if to study the octogenarian. "It's the perm," she said with that straight face of hers. "There's just something about curly hair."

Wait, is that an indirect compliment about my hair? Or just an innocent joke? Holly blinked at her, but Summer had moved on to the next tree.

A tease. Summer was a tease toying with her gaydar in ways that Holly liked a little too much.

"Spruces really do have sharp needles, don't they?" Summer said when Holly caught up to her. Apparently the woman had poked a branch the wrong way and was now sucking on a finger.

Stop staring at those puckered lips. Holly dragged her gaze to Summer's eyes. "Yup. But that's part of their sturdiness. Rigid needles, rigid branches." Holly, you are so boring. Say something funny. "If you're going to be hanging tons of ornaments, you'll want a tree like this one." Good going. That wasn't funny all.

"That makes sense."

"Yeah?" Holly realized she was responding to the fact that this woman didn't look bored. "I mean, yeah. It totally does."

She racked her brain for something else to say. Something fascinating or hilarious or whatever it took to keep this woman talking. But all that came to mind were inappropriate personal questions that retailers should never ask their customers.

Summer glanced around, the light dimming from her eyes as if a cloud had just materialized within them. "I, um, forgot to bring my wallet."

"That's okay. I'll wait if you want to grab it from your car."

"No, it's at home."

It seemed to Holly that mention of the word 'home' had eradicated the playful version of Summer. In its place now stood a glum, trepidatious shell who probably said 'no' a lot.

"Not a problem! Like I said, we open late. Or you could come back tomorrow. We open seven days a week during the season." Holly maintained a bright tone. Maybe too bright. But she was hoping some of it would rub off. She wasn't ready to say goodbye to her warm breeze yet.

"Okay, thanks." Summer turned slowly toward the exit. Holly would have said it was reluctantly, but that could have been wishful thinking.

"You'll come back?" Did her tone sound hopeful or desperate?

Summer paused, not quite meeting her eyes. "Thank you for your time."

Holly drooped a little. No, she wouldn't be back. Years of dealing with customers taught Holly to recognize the signs. It was shame, because she was really enjoying her company. It would've been wonderful to get to know her more. She would've delivered the tree personally if it meant finding out where she lived, like some creepy stalker.

She watched Summer retreat. Holly got the sense that it really was a retreat. That her foray over here had been experimental, and now that it was over, it was time to scurry back to real life.

After the woman drove away, Holly wondered if she would ever see her again. Maybe in a grocery store or at the mall. The malls were especially pretty this time of year with all the decorations. She imagined recognizing her in passing and saying something like, "Hey! Remember me? I helped you at the tree lot where you eventually dumped me before anything could start. It's good to see you!"

Holly smiled at the thought. It was unlikely she'd ever see her again, but a girl could dream.

You know what I dream about? *glances meaningfully at the Vote button*