Chapter 18

Doe's POV:

I've realized that it sometimes slips my mind what a half-hour under some near-boiling water could accomplish.

Xander would always complain, saying that he didn't understand how I had any skin left with the settings I'd leave the shower at, and that he's burned himself multiple times because of it.

And I always return it saying that he just needs tougher skin.

In more ways than one.

To me, it was relaxing. It was an artificial warmth I couldn't quite get from anything else, and it especially helped while I was in circumstances like this.

I could barely feel the aches my body had prior, and the entirety of me was now alleviated overall.

I can't imagine that the amount of stress I'd been handling lately was working in my favor either.

So I took this short amount of time I had to enjoy this feeling as I could.

I glanced up from the sink, meeting myself in the mirror.

That feeling in my throat had gotten a little bit better but...

My eyes slowly fell to the bruise that sat there.

...It's gonna take a little more than just a shower to make that feel completely fine.

I lightly drew my fingers across the darkened skin there, even my own touch causing my shoulders to tighten.

The entirety of me was highly reactive to any sort of touch, but I got the harshest creation whenever it came to my neck or anywhere close.

I set my hands on the comparatively cold marble sink and leaned forward, closer to the mirror.

Lifting my chin just a bit, my eyes went over each of the multitudes of scars.

Not all of them left scars, but most of Laylas did.

She didn't just bite, she bit and tore like some sort of deranged animal.

Of course, I knew she was basically a deranged animal, I just kept trying to find some sort of logic as to why she couldn't at least be clean with her bites.

As a royal, that etiquette was expected, but she failed in even that.

I leaned back with a quiet sigh, taking a second to remind myself that I needed to cherish the time I had to relax.

These three days were going to be over before I knew it.

Quickly fixing the tie of the light blue robe I wore, I reached for the comb I used when my hair was wet.

Only to nearly drop it once I heard the unmistakable sound of the front door unlocking and opening.

Making every last thought of being able to enjoy the rest of my night slip right through my fingers.

I forced myself to not overreact immediately, instead staying completely still with the hope that It was just Xander either leaving or returning.

But once I heard the door slam shut hard, there was no mistaking who had just walked in.

My head snapped to the door of the bathroom, double-checking that It was locked.

Not that it would have made much of a difference but it would still be a small obstacle.

What was she doing here?!

"Good evening Alex," I could barely hear the purr in her voice through the door.