Chapter 4 - Leo

"THERE GOES MY HERO, WATCH HIM AS HE GOES, THERE GOES MY HERO, HE'S ORDINA—"

The phone disconnected from the car stereo as Leo removed the key from the ignition lock.

Yeah, I'm ordinary. Welcome to another day of Leo Parker, ordinary data-crunching workhorse!

He put his head onto the driving wheel and breathed in and out several times. He simply couldn't bring himself to quit his job; the pay was too good. But he couldn't bring himself to step into that dreaded building, either. Legion Analytics was in a shitty location, New Mexico's radioactive middle, and the work was duller than dull.

But Leo liked money.

"What's up, Leo!" Wendell Rahm pulled up beside him and shouted from his open-top sports car, a last-year's-model BMW.

"There goes my hero, man," Leo replied. Wendell and he had started four years ago on the same day. He in the data analytics department and Wendell in the bio-sequencer lab. Guess who had already climbed two steps up the ex-tra-or-di-na-ry career ladder?

"That's right, my man, another day in paradise!" Wendell closed the roof of his car while he sang, "... and it never rains in the Southern California..."

Wendell, what would I give for your motivation. You are Mr. Sunshine.

Both men walked up to the main entrance, a stylish glass cube structure set before the old brick and mortar building and chatted about last night's basketball playoff game. This was the time when everyone came to work and there was a steady stream of parking cars and people entering the building.

Suddenly a loud motor announced its presence on the campus, so loud that all heads turned to the source. A giant old-style Harley fnap-fnaped onto the parking lot. The motor gargled and took the remaining momentum to roll the last twenty yards, right up to the entrance stairs and stopped in front of the fire hydrant on a section clearly marked with red stripes on the asphalt.

Both men stood agape.

"I'm in love!" Wendell croaked.

"Jesus, they are hot, hot, hot!" Leo conceded.

The rider was a large woman, easily six-two, in black leather jeans, cowboy boots and a black biker jacket, zipper pulled up. Though she wore no helmet, her long blonde hair was perfectly in place, despite the previous drive. She was in her mid-forties and looked like a former photo model that had aged well. Very well. Behind her on the bike sat a younger woman, maybe twenty years old, shoulder-long jet-black hair, tight jeans and also a black leather biker jacket. She moved her legs gracefully off the bike in slow motion and gave her surrounding quite a show. The girl waved her black hair once and not a single strand looked out of place.

All commuters stood frozen in whatever they were doing and stared at the two women. The men in sexual awe, the females in a mixture of envy and disgust.

An overzealous security guard came bee-lining from the door towards them. "Ladies!" He was taken aback because both were good looking. "You... you can't park your... bike here," he whined.

Instead of an answer, the large blonde nodded at the young woman, restarted the Harley, revved it up twice, and made a lazy illegal turn against the one-way signage and left the campus, slaloming around two honking cars.

The sound fading into the distance.

The black-haired beauty looked lost for a moment as she glanced at the point where the blonde had vanished, checked her watch, and took in the stares and glances from the crowd. She then walked up the stairs to the lobby entrance, ignoring the flustered security guard, turning to Leo and Wendell instead.

"Christmas comes early," Wendell whispered, and Leo thought desperately of something witty to ask the girl.

"Can one of the gentlemen show me the way to the HR department?" The black-haired girl had a mild soft voice with a slight southern accent.

Leo couldn't get out a single word, his tongue stuck in his dry mouth. Leo, you're such a loser!

Wendell took the opportunity, the slick charmer. "I can help you. No problem at all!"

The girl checked Wendell with a curious look and gave him a dazzling smile. "That's mighty nice. I am Eva." She held out her hand. Man, just to touch her hand once!

Wendell took it but did not shake it, just held on to it as if he was on a date. "And the lady on the bike was your big sister?" Wendell had already threesome phantasies.

"She's my mother," the girl replied. "I start today at...Legion Analytics. Can you show me the way to the HR department?"

Leo swore that she had glanced at the logo over the entrance before answering.

"Ab-so-lute-ly. Let me lead the way." Wendell steered her towards the entrance, away from Leo. Every step of way, all eyes were on her until she had vanished inside.

Life returned to the onlookers, everyone started talking about the two women and their grand entrance!

Leo shook his head to clear it and continued his way. The security guard came up to him, shaking his head. "She drove down the one-way in the wrong direction!" he complained.

Leo had to smile, there were people more pathetic than him and further down the totem pole.

Back to the chain gang.

---------------------------------------------

What a day to start your workday! Maybe Leo finds a way to meet that spectacular girl again.