Blood in the Water

1887 Third Age

" 'ey Captain!"

Lucien looked up from the manifests on his desk with an annoyed expression on his face. Though, seeing his quartermaster, Ward, poking his head between the twin oak doors of his office softened his expression slightly.

"Some people want to talk with yah."

"Tell 'em I'm busy," Lucien groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose. "If they have any civil issues they have to handle it themselves."

"These ain't townsfolk," Ward said, "They're dignitaries. From Rome."

A thin black eyebrow arched as a toothy smirk crept across Lucian's face. "Well, why didn't you say so," he said eagerly, getting up from his chair, "Let them in. Let them in. You know how I enjoy visitors."

As Ward exited out of the office, Lucien went over to one of the many cabinets that lined the wall behind his desk. Every cabinet was stocked with numerous drinks and liquors. Some were local bourbons and brews while others were exotic wines and whiskeys. Picking out a bottle that came from Sicily, Lucien dusted it off with his sleeve before placing it on his desk.

Just as he went to grab a set of wine glasses, his office's twin doors opened to Ward and five others. The two men directly behind Ward had to be the dignitaries. One was a thin, tall, older gentleman, while the other was a shorter, portly younger man. The clothes they wore looked expensive, didn't have a single spec of dirt on them. Upon their right breast they both had a rather large pin of the golden Aquila, signifying their positions as government envoys. The three following them were a young boy hardly over 10, a young woman seemingly just out of her teen years, and an elderly man struggling to carry a small chest. 

"Gentlemen! Welcome to Nassau," Lucien said as Ward closed the doors and the elderly man placed the chest on the desk, relieving himself of the burden. Lucien placed three wine glasses on top of the papers he was working on earlier. As he popped the cork from the bottle, the older gentleman cleared his throat.

"Captain Lucien Haddock. I am Marcus Labienus," he said, then gesturing to his portly accomplice, "And this is my associate Quinten Paulus. We've come on behalf of the Senate."

Quinten then pulled out an envelope from his breast pocket. As he opened it, Lucien was busy pouring out the bottle's contents into the glasses. Revealing a folded letter from the envelope, Quinten began to read it.

"To Lucien Haddock,

Your reputation as a Captain of Nassau and as a member of the Silver Coven has caught the attention of this Senate. We offer you a position within the Republic Navy, as Grand Commodore of the Atlantic fleet, assistance in making Nassau a full-fledged nation, and a full pardon for you and all the citizens of Nassau. In return, Nassau's total loyalty must be to the Republic of Rome."

Lucien gave a light chuckle "Me? A Member of the Silver Coven? Didn't know I was in league with the Dragon of Romania or the Jade Empress. I oughta send them an invitation for a drink or two." he quipped, handing Marcus a filled glass. Marcus didn't reach for it, in fact, he took a step away. "Oh please, it's just red wine."

Still with a cautious look on his face, Marcus took the glass, as did Quinten. 

"So, do you accept the offer?"Quinten asked hastily.

Taking a heavy breath and downing his glass in one swig, Lucien smirked at the two envoys. "You're not the first people Rome has sent to recruit me. Though I will admit you're the first with the ambition to drag Nassau into this." he said, "But ... Nassau doesn't bend the knee to anyone, and neither do I."