Chapter 1: I Want To Break Free

"I have no idea why I'm even going to this stupid thing" I groaned grabbing my eyeliner.

"Because the company asked you to because they think you're an amazing dancer. It's an honor to be asked" Michelle comforted while doing my hair.

"What an honor" I giggled.

"I think it's a way for them to punish us" Sasha said walking into the room.

"Punish?" Michelle rose an eyebrow at her.

"It's torture. Cruel, unfair torture" she threw herself on the bed.

"Is it too late to fake sick?" I looked at Michelle through the mirror.

"You'll be fine, hun. Sasha's just being dramatic. What else is new" she shot Sasha a look.

Sasha was the top dancer. Everything came natural to her, so natural it'd make you wonder why she needed classes at all. But being part of our dance company was a huge thing, you didn't get in unless you were the best of the best.

I still don't know how I made it in. Right place at the right time I guess, but still I was grateful.

Charity events were the least exciting thing about dancing for our company. At the very least we had to show up, make small talk and act professional. Sometimes we would have to dance or lead a small workshop, luckily this time we did not.

Being asked to attend a charity event on behalf of the company was a huge deal...for some dancers. Sasha was asked to almost every charity event so to her, it was a punishment for being an amazing dancer. Michelle would kill to be asked to attend. Two different ends of the spectrum. Then there's me, who couldn't care less.

"Just be thankful you don't have to dance at your first event, you have to wear your costume the whole event. It's so uncomfortable" Sasha whined.

"Well good thing we don't" I tried to look on the bright side.

"Are you ready? The earlier we get there the earlier we can leave" Sasha asked standing up and approaching the mirror.

"She's done" Michelle smiled at me. "Have so much fun tonight guys" she pulled us both into a hug.

She was more excited than both of us put together.

"Y/N, come over here. I want you to meet someone" one of our directors called over to me from the next table over from where I was standing. I excused myself and made my way over to my director. "This is Y/N, she's one of our promising dancers. This is her first event"

"Hi, it's nice to meet you" I shook the man's hand.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Mark" he shook my hand gently.

"Do you ever get to any sporting events Y/N?" My director asked curiously.

"I do not, I don't get to get out much sadly" I explained.

"You make it sound like you're in prison" My director chuckled.

"It is very much not a prison" I lightly laughed.

"It is pretty much a prison, don't let her fool you" Sasha walked past behind us leaving a comment as she walked past.

I laughed at her and turned back to the conversation.

"Mark plays hockey for the Calgary flames" My director informed.

"Oh really, that's cool. I've never met an NHL player before" I smiled at Mark before someone started calling my name from the other side of the room.

Turns out, I hated working charity events.

"You're being summoned" Mark said with a laugh.

"I'm so popular today" I laughed with a roll of my eyes. "I'm so sorry, it was great meeting you. If you need anything, feel free to come find me" I smiled at the two men before walking away to where I was being called to.