Chapter Thirty - Seven

"Montague Cordova, repeat it."

"He's captain at the docks. Owns several ships, a few brothels, and makes good coin trading." I repeated in short, the history Sarvin just spent hours teaching me.

Fool.

"Good," he nodded, permitting me to continue.

"Irma Gooldin, the only woman on the council and a very..." I paused trying to find the right word for Sarvin's description of her, "Determined woman."

You're one.

He nodded in agreement.

He's definitely one.

"She collects the city tax and controls the bookkeeping and a handful of guards. She is one of the few people Aleron trusts because she is his aunt."

And they are fools.

"Klaus Hager controls the farmlands around the capital. Earns his money selling grain and stealing tariffs from the people living on the lands. He's manipulative and shrewd. I should be careful with him."

"You should be careful around him, even avoid him if possible." Sarvin corrected, as he phased around the room, hands folded behind him.

Don't believe anything he says.

I had been sitting at his desk for hours, listening to him enumerating each member of the council. One more corrupt than the other.

"Jensef Luther, married to the daughter of Irma Gooldin, serves no important purpose other than his riches. His wealth was attributed to generations of stealing, gambling, and running brothels. Although Jensef lost his brothels to Montague from a debt, likely due to gambling. He is low risk and of no immediate threat."

Remember how he left you to suffer for decades?

"Gallus Leon, he comes from blood money. His family served the previous king and counselled him in war tactics and strategic attacks. Gallus serves the general the same way." I paused, "He aids the capture and executions of rebels, deserters, and anyone who opposes the general."

I have been here the whole time.

"Good, we will end it here. You did well. Now remember these names, remember their roles." Sarvin said very seriously, before dismissing me.

I left his study in a hurry, eager to find anywhere else to spend my time other than learning the ins and outs of Aleron's rule.

I knew I needed to learn this, mostly because it could all become mine and if it did, I would have to deal with these people. Sarvin had his intentions, good or bad, though which I couldn't quite figure out.

But I liked to think he wanted me to learn the history of the palace so I wouldn't end up dead because I became difficult. Although I had no intentions of letting myself be controlled or manipulated by strangers, I did need to get the upper hand, beginning with learning about them all.

"Selene," I exclaimed as I saw her come towards me from the other end of the hall.

"My lady." She bowed her head.

"Is there a library in the city?"

"Well yes, but my lady, lord Sarvin's collection is the biggest in the capital."

"Lord Sarvin's?" I asked. Maybe I hadn't seen every inch of the mansion, though, with its size, I surmised that would be impossible anyway.

Selene guided me to an area of the mansion I hadn't been to yet. We stopped in front of two big wooden doors. Pushing them open, I was immediately greeted by a familiar smell.