09 | Objections (Bella)

ꕥ

Amabella's POV

It can be incredibly difficult to say no to Kaden Matthews, especially when he's half-dressed.

He sits next to me on the couch and I roll my eyes, trying to ignore just how tempting he looks. There are more than a hundred reasons why we shouldn't be doing this right now. I shouldn't be down here alone with him. We shouldn't be sitting this close to each other. And I definitely shouldn't be visualizing myself in his arms, his full lips pressed against mine.

"Well?" I start the conversation, forcing myself to pretend he has a shirt on. "I'm here. Start talking."

Kaden sits up straight, suddenly looking serious and determined. "I don't want to beat around the bush, so I'm just going to come out and say it—I know you've been purposely avoiding me ever since we had sex. Of course, I understand why. I'm fully aware of the line we crossed, but..." He pauses, then sighs heavily. "Damn it, Bella. There's been a connection between us from the very beginning, and every day since it has only gotten stronger. I know you feel it, too. Please tell me I'm not alone in this. Please tell me I'm not crazy."

Staring into Kaden's desperate green eyes, I'm unable to respond with a lie.

"You aren't crazy." My words come out in a whisper as my nerves get the better of me. I remain still as Kaden grabs my hands, holding them tightly as if he's afraid I'll vanish into thin air.

"We've been through too much to continue playing pretend with each other," Kaden continues. "Instead of faking like we don't have feelings for each other, I think what we need to do instead is ask ourselves where do we go from here? I know where I want to go, and it's wherever you are. I want you, Bella. And I know you want me too, so why not take that next step and make things official like you wanted?"

"What exactly are you asking of me, Kaden?" I question, my pulse racing. "Be clear."

"I'm asking if you want to continue seeing me behind your mother's back," he answers calmly, his eyes still on mine. "Keeping us a secret from Evangeline won't affect me as much as I know it will affect you, which is why you need to be the one who makes this decision. I've already told you what I want; it's your turn to tell me what you want."

"What if you're not what I want?" I ask, testing him. "What if we're not what I want? Then what?"

"I'll respect your decision regardless." He smiles, though it doesn't quite reach his eyes.

Goddamn, this man. He's sitting here pouring his heart out to me, literally telling me he's ready to risk it all just to be with me. I want to kiss him for being so open and honest, but I also want to slap him for putting me in such a difficult position!

I undoubtedly feel like shit for having messed around with my mother's husband, but at the same time, I can't lie to myself and say that I want me and Kaden's situationship to end. Yes, it's messy and bound to eventually blow up in our faces; however, I can't continue to live a lie. I want him. I need him. My feelings towards him scare me because I've never felt like this before, but they also excite me. Despite the distance that I've tried to put between us, I continue to find myself longing for him in ways that I probably shouldn't.