twenty

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

christmas day was finally here, i spent all of yesterday at my parents house and today, the opposite was happening, everyone was coming to my house for christmas day.

and by everyone i meant my family, shawn's family and shawn.

once eva found out he was coming her spirits were immediately lifted, she was definitely a daddy's girl.

daniel used to tell me she was going to be a mommy's girl because of how attached she was to me, but i think ever since shawn came around, it's been... different.

whenever he is here, she stays right next to him the whole time.

"mommy! santa put the presents at home?!" eva exclaims as she runs into the room i used to call my bedroom, making me chuckle watching her jump onto the bed.

"of course he has honey, they're all there and ready for gift-opening." i groan, pulling her up besides me and tickling her, "now are you ready to go home so we can get ready?" she nods her head, giggling.

"ok we have to be quiet so we don't wake anyone up baby so shh." i tell her as i put my finger to my lips, watching her do the same.

we get out of my bed and quickly fix ourselves somewhat decently before leaving out the front door, being extremely quiet to not wake anyone up.

and it worked.

∎ ∎ ∎

"honey! we have twenty minutes before everyone arrives, come down!" i shout, arranging the final touches to the christmas decorations in the main room, the food was all done so thankfully, i didn't have to worry about that.

"coming mommy!"

my eyes dart over to the stairwell where my daughter comes cautiously down wearing her beautiful red frock that my mother got her for christmas last year, "mommy do my hair?" my baby asks, skipping over to me with a giddy smile.

"of course baby, come here." she hands me her hair oil, hair gel, a hair tie and a comb.

just like instinct i run some oil through her hair, comb it through and tie half of it up into a small bun, running some gel through her edges to make them look neat.

the doorbell rings just as i finish so i grab eva, placing her on my hip and walk over to the front door, they weren't due to arrive yet, so i wonder who it is?

there's only a handful of people that know my address.

my hand reaches for the doorknob and i twist it open, seeing boxes upon boxes of what i assume are gifts, "hi, it's shawn can i come in?" the figure says, i chuckle and grab some boxes from him, placing eva down.

"can i help mommy?" she asks, i hand her the smallest and lightest box, she grabs it from my hands and walks on over to the family room where the big eight foot tree was located.

"hey." shawn tells me, his cheeks flushing pink — but was it from seeing me? or was it because of the cold? "we should probably talk." he mutters and i shake my head.

"not today." i whisper, as eva approaches us, watching us place all the neatly wrapped presents under the tree.

"wow there's so many mommy!" eva exclaims, making me chuckle.