Chapter 36

1 DAY BEFORE FLIGHT

Veronica is helping Delores pack her clothes. "¿Cómo se dice... you brought too much junk?" Veronica asks her, waving an article of clothing in her face.

"You talk shit?" Delores' English speaking always makes Veronica laugh. The doorbell rings before Delores tells Veronica to "shut off", which makes Veronica laugh even harder.

Delores smirks, throwing a sock at her just as Veronica turns to leave. Veronica makes it to the hallway untouched, yelling out, "I'll get it!"

She makes it downstairs and opens the door for Sam. He nods at her before she sticks her head outside, squinting at Sam's rental car.

"Where's Yemi?" She asks as she closes the front door.

"In the hotel."

Veronica pokes her bottom lip out, confused on why Yemi didn't come.

"We didn't get in until around 6 this morning. Her ass is stuck in that bed."

"Where'd y'all go?"

"We left Empire about 2, and then went to Russ' party until 5."

"Russ had a party?! Where was my invite?"

"I'm not fuckin' with you, V," Sam tells her, chuckling.

"Whyyyy? Y'all leave tomorrow, and I haven't seen y'all in like three days."

"Whose fault is that?" He asks rhetorically.

"I only canceled Friday. After that, you told me twice: let's shoot for tomorrow. And why isn't Yemi answering her phone? I texted and called her, too."

"Correction... you canceled all day Friday, and half of Saturday. And I don't think Yemi has charged her phone since we've been out here."

"She really took this vacation mode serious, huh?" They both laugh. "And okay... half of Saturday, but I was ready to hang out after that."

"You should talk to Yemi about that." Sam looks at his Rolex, and then kisses his teeth. "Abue better hurry up before she misses her flight."

"Abuela!"

"¡Ya voy!"

"What's your hotel room number? I'm gonna pop up on her."

"1420."

Veronica nods. Delores appears at the top of the stairs, dragging her large suitcase before Sam jogs up to her, taking it from her. She kisses her grandson on the cheek before following him downstairs.

Larry and Liliana suddenly appear at the top of the stairs, and walk down to say their goodbyes.

"Hi my baby," Liliana says to Sam. "Thanks for taking her to the airport."

"No problem, Ma." He turns around and kisses his mother's cheek before rushing out the door with his grandma's luggage.

Liliana and Larry give Delores hugs before Veronica pulls Delores away for herself. "Bye abuela. See you later."

"Ok, mi amor. Recuerda lo que te dije...Agua que no has de beber, déjala correr." She kisses Veronica on the cheek and Liliana laughs.

"Bye Mai." Liliana hugs her one last time before Delores vacates.

"You understood her, V?" Larry inquires.

"Yeah, she always tells me that."

"Well, tell me what it means then?"

"It's not important," she responds before walking up the stairs. "I'm gonna hang out with Yemi. Call me if you need anything from the Bodega."

"Alright." He turns to his wife. "What did your momma say to my niece?" He asks jokingly.